Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Protectakote

AndyCook

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
any one used Protectakote before?

often sold as a paint on bedliner for pickups

my trailer load bed needs a tidy-up, some welding, then something better than hammerite paint to help preserve the repairs.

I laughed out loud when I saw this Andy. I am going to order some from them tonight to do the bottom half of my van body with.

I have seen it used and if the stuff is put on right it really is effective. I will be doing the floor inside and out on my 60 with it.

In fact I intend to do the chassis and axles, fuel tank etc with it.

I used this stuff for a home made winch bumper, it's VERY tough stuff but a PITA to remove, ask tobyjug, he bought my bumper and tried to remove the coating :whistle:

just don't plan on getting it off again, ever, and that includes whatever you're wearing when you paint it on :lol:

its probably worth paying the extra for the uv stable stuff. if you're using it outside, the standard stuff fades quite a bit. otherwise, pretty tough and much cheaper than having someone spray bedliner on for you.

it sounds ideal for my trailer load bed, i wont want to be removing it!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've done the rear tub in my Landy with it, done about 4 years ago now & its still good.

Is this stuff any good for chassis and under-body protection, post rust-bullet or something similar? Or does it leave a rust problem working away underneath? If its as tough as you say, it sounds like a good candidate for under-body coating?

Ahh - yes it can according to the web site. And it's a South African product, so we know it'll do the job properly ;-)

Will have to get some - and a big plastic sheet and a surplus CBW suit from army stores :lol:

It doesn't keep very well in the tin once you've opened it, or at least mine didn't, as the air space in the tin got bigger it would form a thick skin wasting a lot of it. Clean the tin and lid mating surfaces before putting the lid back on, don't wipe your brush on the lip of the tin, otherwise the lid will be very well stuck down when you try to use it again!

Is it thick and gloopy to apply like underbody paint from waxoyl?
What primer is it best to use

There's a PDF on the protectakote.co.uk website Andy with fairly detailed instructions on prep and application. I'll see if I can find it again for you ...

Back