Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pull to Right When Braking

Thats's a lot of play. I did mine half a year ago with whiteline bushing after doing some research. So far so good. You also don't have to re-use any of the old sleeves. Simply press out the old bushing including outer sleeve and press in the new stuff.

RT are winging a set as I type. Along with a replacement brake hose for the one with a bad thread as a no quibble replacement.

Now the fun of stripping down the arms

RT are winging a set as I type. Along with a replacement brake hose for the one with a bad thread as a no quibble replacement.

Now the fun of stripping down the arms

Looks like you have found the cause. Well done :icon-biggrin:.

I did the whole front end of Helen's truck upper and lower bushes and ball joints , rack bushes , new suspension tie rods and whatever else all at once and the difference between my truck and hers is chalk and cheese .

My trucks had (as and when needed) new rack bushes , lower ball joints , tie rods and suspension and i can charge around Lincomb forest steering with only my little finger its so light and loose though i wouldn't say its vague at all ?

I think my index finger would soon ache at trying to steer Helen's truck its so tight , firm and annoyingly accurate , i know i weave on motorways because there's no leeway in keeping her straight , and that's at least a thousands miles after the work was done .

The same front end rebuild is pencilled in for my truck but i'm somewhat reluctant because it will obviously alter the trucks character :icon-confused:

I got everything from Roughtrax .

Hi Mark,
I had the same trouble with my LC90, and became worse and worse over time.
Changed brake calipers front and back. (fronts were revised 6 years ago, backside was original used over twenty years)
Also new brake rotors front and back.
Lower suspension arms swapped for new one's with rubbers pressed in.
Upper suspension arms swapped for new one's with rubbers pressed in.
Back axle all rubbers swapped for new one's
Realigned front caster / camber / toe in.
Better but not 100%
Replaced steering wheel housing.
Realigned front caster / camber and toe in.
Now drive's better than new !!!!
Get a steel bar and start pulling on all components to check for free play. (with force)
Losen rubber boots from steering house and check for movement.
Everything can be fixed !!!
Good luck

IMG_1716.JPG IMG_1713.JPG IMG_1435.JPG IMG_1676.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Bushes arrived today, unfortunately the arms are still on the truck :(. 2 of the 8 ball joint bolts had been rounded off which slowed progress slightly. Thank god for the neighbours Irwin Extractors, bloody great things whipped the bolts straight out :)

Why, Toyota decided to put the steering rack blocking the rear most bolts on the arms is beyond me. Didn't quite manage to get the rack lose before dark. Hopefully tomorrow!

Last edited:
You don't need to fully remove the rack mark, just get the bolts out and lever it back.

I didn't remove the rack either but afterwards i did wonder why not as it was only the feed pipes left holding it on and i was busy with a paint brush while it was all in bits anyway .

I’m just moving it out of the way not removing it.

Bit more thought by the designers and those bolts would come out without needing to touch it though.

Last edited:
Well the middle bolt on the steering rack could not be shifted, luckily removing the bracket for the large bush and the horizontal bolt gave just enough wiggle room to get the camber adjusters out.

Whipped the arms over to a friends and 10 minutes with an air chisel the old bushes were out. New whiteline bushes slotted straight in.

Tomorrow its all back together :D

Well the middle bolt on the steering rack could not be shifted, luckily removing the bracket for the large bush and the horizontal bolt gave just enough wiggle room to get the camber adjusters out.

Whipped the arms over to a friends and 10 minutes with an air chisel the old bushes were out. New whiteline bushes slotted straight in.

Tomorrow its all back together :D

:handgestures-finge: :handgestures-finge: :handgestures-finge:

Another slow progress day :(

Passenger side is all refitted and ready to go. Got onto the drivers side and I can't fit the large washers that come with the Whiteline bushes. I can get one mounted up ok but that leaves the other side jammed so tight theres no room for the washer.

As I see it either the arm is bent possible from removing 3 sets of bushes over the last 12 months or the bracket is bent. I only need about 3mm and it'll slide in.

I'm guessing the older rubber bushes had a bit more flex so they could be forced in but the new ones just won't budge

Another slow progress day :(

Passenger side is all refitted and ready to go. Got onto the drivers side and I can't fit the large washers that come with the Whiteline bushes. I can get one mounted up ok but that leaves the other side jammed so tight theres no room for the washer.

As I see it either the arm is bent possible from removing 3 sets of bushes over the last 12 months or the bracket is bent. I only need about 3mm and it'll slide in.

I'm guessing the older rubber bushes had a bit more flex so they could be forced in but the new ones just won't budge

:? Sounds ultra frustrating....

I can get one mounted up ok but that leaves the other side jammed so tight theres no room for the washer.

A couple of mine were a pretty tight fit. I don't know if this will help, but I offered up the wishbone to the bracket while holding the washers at either end, then I could just get them both started with a few gentle hammer taps on the washers. A bit of a pain to line up the holes, but with some of the supplied grease on the washers, they moved around ok once in place.

It dos get tiring shifting those arms arm layed down under the truck!.

I did take a few measurements and its possible the rear drivers side mount is a few mm narrower that the others. If I get the front ones in the rear sits hard against the rear part of the mount with enough room for both washers on one side.

I might be completely different in the morning though, if not I might break out the persuader :D

Probably one of those simple jobs that is easier with 3 hands and a 4 post lift.

literally only 2-3mm and it'd slot straight in :(

Knock a small, slim Bolster Chisel in there - it has a tapered blade that may persuade the assembly to give you some clearance (Engineering . . Love it :whistle: ).

Bob.

Back