Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pyrenees 2011, 27/05-05/06, planning

gpx useful - it can easily be converted.
will look into memory map - french maps, since I cannot get french maps for Anuqet maps which i normally use in UK..
are you taking digital maps or just paper.

going to buy a couple routes off them, as they look good value for the work they have done to come up with the routes.

I note that Tony's group was in the same area, and probably similar trails
getting excited now!

It's all on the Spanish side and I haven't seen any MemoryMap topo maps for Spain. There's a Garmin product Matt found and there's an on-line topo map facility at http://www.ign.es/iberpix/visoriberpix/visorign.html which can export small tiles of geotiff type data you could possibly piece together to cover a route. If you have a trip meter you could always follow the road book with that which can be entertaining :)

ta for the link
i have some software at home where you can import scanned maps, then correctly calibrate/reference them to geographic co-ordinate system of your choice, by clicking on several points on map and giving the map ref.
so that you can digitize the route or use it live with linked GPS
gpsutility i think its called, shareware i bought years ago,
dont use it much, but it has useful utilitys to convert between different tracklogs/waypoints of GPS formats

Jon Wildsmith said:
It's all on the Spanish side and I haven't seen any MemoryMap topo maps for Spain. There's a Garmin product Matt found and there's an on-line topo map facility at http://www.ign.es/iberpix/visoriberpix/visorign.html which can export small tiles of geotiff type data you could possibly piece together to cover a route. If you have a trip meter you could always follow the road book with that which can be entertaining :)

Forgot I had a programme on my PC called "Map Window GIS" - you can easily import lots of these exported JPEG+jpw (i.e. geo-referenced graphics) into MapWindowGIS and build up a complete map,

i can then export the whole map - made of lots of exported maps from http://www.ign.es/iberpix/visoriberpix/visorign.html
into my GPS Utility programme - and therefore get live GPS tracking and also import GPS waypoints (multiple formats) and also create new waypoints, routes and tracklogs on the map and then upload to a GPS

I have an old garmin eTrex and a garmin forerunner 205 gps, they dont support use of maps,

but with a laptop running "GPS Utility" i can show the map built from tiles and live GPS tracking anyway
and have the benefit of 1:50000 or 1:25000 scale maps, built by spending a few hours exporting tiles from http://www.ign.es/iberpix/visoriberpix

also looked at http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php - and loaded in some maps using the garmin mapsource,
seems to work - but the maps dont have the detail of the 1:50000 or even 1:25000 tiles available on http://www.ign.es/iberpix/visoriberpix

will also get paper maps as backup in case of laptop failure....

i've got all the pyranees maps for ozi explorere somewhere- as well as a shed load for garmin mapsource which get used on a PC with Bluetooth GPS unit.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
AndyCook said:
Forgot I had a programme on my PC called "Map Window GIS" - you can easily import lots of these exported JPEG+jpw (i.e. geo-referenced graphics) into MapWindowGIS and build up a complete map
I had a bit of a play with that in case it would save me some trouble but with several maps loaded it only ever exported a single small map not the whole lot and any waypoints I imported didn't tally even with the map datum & projection set correctly.

i discovered that last night Jon - i loaded in some georeff jpg for the pyrenees, 1:50000 scale,
you can export several maps merged - but the default resolution is poor,
you can get round this by making a new polygon shapefile layer, bigger than the maps,
and using this as the reference on exporting
but there is still a resolution limit... it wont take more than 7000 pixels horizontally
didn't try waypoints

so back to the search!

Jon

did you buy this map:
GEO ESTEL
Grand ATLAS CATALUNYA Grand ATLAS CATALUNYA
1/50 000 ème (1cm: 0.5 km) 1 / 50 000 scale (1cm: 0.5 km)

seems a better choice than getting lots separate 1:40,000 and 1:25000 maps
but wondering what it is like - it says it has no contours on the Roadbook website,
which would make it a bit useless

did you get maps from a UK shop or from the roadbook site

come to conclusion that Calais-dover ferry is best, as £300 than taking Hull-zebruggee or portsmouth-Caen
and the more expensive ferry routs only save 200 or 60 miles driving each way

Was looking at getting the French 1:50k maps from online mapshop for MM - anyone any comments? Can find credits for 12,500sq km for £21 which seems fair ...

I bought that map from stanfords.co.uk, £29.95 plus P&P. It doesn't have contour lines but it has relief shading so you can still see roughly what you should be looking at i.e. in the bottom of the valley, half way up a hill etc. I was going to mark up our route on this atlas as a backup but it's unlikely to be needed as there will be others with computers and the route so even if my computer plays up we shouldn't need to fall back on paper maps but old habits etc. It's a big book by the way, 30cmx39cm closed but it's spiral bound so easily folded back on itself. I got the Michelin 574 and a Geo/Estel 1:150000 Pirineu Catala map from the road book site for an overview.

Gary Stockton said:
Was looking at getting the French 1:50k maps from online mapshop for MM - anyone any comments? Can find credits for 12,500sq km for £21 which seems fair ...
We'll only be traveling through France, none of the trip proper is in France ...

ah thanks Jon - I have found it on stanfords yet
but i have been busy on stanfords website the last hour trying to figure out the 1:40000 & 1:25000 maps coverage
seems there are some gaps

we will have only 1 laptop with us - assuming i manage to digitize/collage the maps and get them georeferenced correctly.
So i want to make sure i have good paper-map backup as well

looks like i will have about 8-days in the area. so time to do RB1 and some or part of RB2
got to figure out how to fit 2 mountain bikes in the vehicle, as well as all the camping, recovery gear etc!

OK - after some faff, and lots time..

I have exported the geo-referenced jpg files from that spanish map site - 1:50,000 tiles. for areas covering RB1 and RB2 routes.
I then used a bit of free software called SAGA!!!! no not sliver head holidays - but gis programme

http://www.saga-gis.org/en/index.html

i then loaded all the tiles into this - did Rb1 then RB2
the software is a bit anal to use, but works.
i work in a software company so geological interpretation and seismic - so used to this type of challenge....

the problem is it splits the jpeg into 3 component colours, Red Green Blue = RGB
so first i had to recombine each RGB map. using the grid command: Grid>visualization>RGB composite

then i used to merge function (Grid>construction>merging) - that took some tweaking of the parameters to get it to work correctly,
you need to set then interpolation option to "nearest neighbour"
and overlap mode to "first value in order of grid list"

but in end it did an excellent job of automatically stitching the 15 individual geo referenced jpeg into one file.
then i exported as a "true colour bitmap" - it creates a *.bmp file and a *.bpw (identical to a *.jgw file)

(i tried the export option to jpg - but the progamme threw a wobbly)

i was then able to load into my GPS Utility programme.

i then exported a waypoint from GoogleEarth and imported into GPS Utility - and discovered there is a discrepancy of about 150m. which i will either live with, as its a consistent shift in a NE direction
or i can recalibrate using the Googleearth kmz waypoints
i will see how it tallys with the RB1 and RB2 gps co-ords first when i have bought them

but job done!, not easy, but got there in the end - the slowest part was exporting all the georef jpeg from the spanish website

Sounds like maybe you used the wrong datum at some stage?

right you are sir!

the maps from spanish site as ED50 - spanish datum
googlearth uses WGS84

so back into SAGA, I redefined the datum of the maps to WGS84 / UTM 31N

and now back in my other software the googlearth kml waypoints and my maps are spot on!!

whilst doing this i noticed what look like Volcanoes on the Olot area, and they are - 11,000 yr old dormant volcanoes,
RB2 goes right through this area, so will be interesting to take a look at

have you got geo-ref digital 1:50,000 maps now Jon?
as you are welcome to have a copy of the ones i have spliced/merged and now correctly datum'd

not sure that i can be bothered to go back and get 1:25000 version as it would take hours to export all the tiles...

Andy

I only grabbed a couple to play with, not made a proper effort at sorting it out yet so a copy of yours to save the trouble would be great :thumbup: I wasn't going to bother with the 25k, can't see us needing that level of detail really for the effort it would take to download it :)

I will PM you to arrange a transfer method!
and then you can let me know if they are sufficient coverage for the routes!
Andy

route-books and maps in the post to me.
was going to do dover-calais ferry
but discovered i have just over 10,000 airmiles, which can be used for ferry bookings, (1000 points = 60 miles) = £600 towards ferry costs :D

so since Ferry costs could now be "free" :dance: , might take a longer route
so might go Portsmouth > St Malo on way out and Zebruggee > Hull on way back - saves the dreaded M25
and some driving and can do overnight on both ferrys.

I don't mind overnight ferrys, but long ferry trips during the day are very dull

By happy co-incidence I'll be out in the pyrenees from 22nd to the 2nd with 3 other landrovers.

be interested in swapping mobile numbers in case we run into problems and can help each other out!

Back