Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Questions on new cruiser suspension and wiper fault

gregrsv

Hello
I posted this on the tlcoc forum but have had no assistance yet, so ive put it in here as there has been recent suspension talk on this forum.
I'm just posting to introduce myself and as a few Q's.
Ive been on the 80 series forum for some time now but having sold my old 24v manual , ive been searching for a decent 100 series , anyway i working down in yorkshire for acouple of days and spent a time looking at all the cruisers for sale down there , in the end ive managed to get an 02 model with the new dash and grille facelift , its a 4.2td with the 3sp+OD auto box, The body and chassis seems incredibly rust free and clean ( i'm scottish so i'm used to seeing the effects of salt on vehicles).
The mileage is only 86k with all the old mots to prove so that seems quite good.
It is however my first auto vehicle so i'll need to learna bit about that.

I need to get a vehicle Owners handbook ( not the workshop manual) even just to look at a pdf on the computer would be fine!

The issues ive seen so far are :

Wiper control
there seems to be one function not right ? it has the auto function that works but sometimes stops whilst the windscreen is still wet , and then goes like the clappers when it should be wiping less.
next position down on the lever does nothing ? ( Low spd i think)
bottom position is constant wiper control ( i thin hi spd)
Am i missing the low spd function
( i'm not sure what it should have due to no handbook)

AHC suspension control

Not sur if im doing things right so a bit of guidance here would be a help
note ive been doing things with the doors closed and the tran in park, until on the move.

the dash shows the position led in the N position ( solid Led).
i select low and the led flashes in the low position and lowers correctly
but then when i select N the leds dont change and the vehicle doesnt attempt to lift. but once the vehicle is on the move the led starts blinking on N and the suspension pumps up to the N position.

when i select the high position the led does not even flash or light in the high position in stopped or whilst driving ? Ive also tried selecting High whilst in Low range but this also has no effect.

Any pointers giving advise or links to internet info would be a great help thanks
greg

I think, based on what you've said, you may have a wiper fault but iirc the positions should intermittent (maybe with a stalk-end frequency adjuster), low and high - both constant.

If the height control works like the 120, you need the engine running to get it to up properly (although the 120 is air only so works fine with just the ignition on).

Once on the move in high range and over 5mph the height adjuster will not go up, and if raised will drop to Normal.

In low range and going fairly slow it should stay in high.

Hope that helps?

Last edited:
welcome - good to have another member up-north
and Glencoe a brilliant spot - I must get over to glencoe ski resort sometime, never skiied there yet

hope you get the wiper issue sorted

the AHC should go up and down parked on the spot (with the engine running) and the light should flash to indicate the position it is moving to.

For the wipers, it sounds like you have the automatic version, and possibly a fault in the stalk switch or cabling for the low sp.
The automatic version has a sensor placed on the inside of the windscreen, behind the mirror. Most common problems with the auto is:
A) Sensor does not have good contact with the glass - There's a stepwise procedure to get it right in the FSM.
B) Bad wipers - They have to actually scrape the water and dirt off - not only smudge. I.e: auto is no good with old wipers.
C) Badly scratched / worn out windscreen. Same as B.
Also, the auto is no good in freezing or snow conditions.
The automatic feature can be switched off , using the techstream software, in which case you get an interval function instead. The ring on the stalk is then the interval adjuster, while it works as a sensitivity adjuster for the auto function.

For the AHC, it can be a few things. In order of likeliness:
A) Too high Neutral Pressure. Normally goes too high within 5 years.... (Adjust front springs, change rear)
B) Bad/weak pump.
C) Faulty pressure sensor.
First thing to do in any case is to check the Neutral Pressure. (e.g. with techstream, or a LSPV gauge kit)

For the wipers, it sounds like you have the automatic version, and possibly a fault in the stalk switch or cabling for the low sp.
The automatic version has a sensor placed on the inside of the windscreen, behind the mirror. Most common problems with the auto is:
A) Sensor does not have good contact with the glass - There's a stepwise procedure to get it right in the FSM.
QUOTE]

Hi, I have the same problem with the wiper & it drives me mad - I assume FSM is the factory service manual - where can I find one please - or do you have the procedure to 'get it right'?

I have a similar problem with my AHC in that sometimes I have to press the 'up' button a couple of times to get it to respond, and it may be worth pointing out it only works with all the doors closed - my wife insists on opening the door before it's fully dropped!

cheers
Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
... - my wife insists on opening the door before it's fully dropped!
cheers, Chris
Normally the spheres are the first to fail of the AHC components. If you drop and lift every time you stop, I believe the pump will go first. fwiw.

Thanks all for the tips on the fault finding , ive found a few things some more definite than others!

the wipers ; i traced the wiring using the fsm ( thats a real paper chase!) anyway i first found corosion on a couple of pins on the multi plug leading into the RH cowlingjb in the footwell. That was cleaned up , but didnt cure anything , then i'd missed it before but the connector at the wiper switch had a bent connector, funny though it wasnt pin 7 which i thought was the low spd function as fread from the 04 fsm, i wonder if the late 02 vehilcle wiring is slightly different?

Whilst on my adventures under the dash the entire area looked as if there had been water coming in and running down the bulkhead , This turned out to be a leaky windscreen. ( ran mixture of soapy liquid and water round seals externally and then took and airline and blew along the seals from the inside this showed the leaks as bubbles externally) so i took out the windscreen , cleaned and re sealed all seems fine now.

Active suspension;
This does nothing still when in park , only when i move i think its when the suspension feels the effect of a few bumps it recognises that a command has been required then it moves to the lower or normal position, ive only once had it go to the high position but it didnt stay there long and then automatically went back to normal.

I cant seem to find anything about the active suspension in the fsm that i downloaded , has anyone any links that would help?

Tonight i noticed a wee bit of coolant dripping from the front diff area , so on closer inspection with torches etc i noticed apair of small pipes running from above the alternator to in behind the turbo area , these have a short section of rubber hose in each pipe and one of them was leaking so i cleaned the pipes and replaced the hose clips , they were a bit awkward to get to had to remove the intercooler pipes and turbo inlet and compressor pipes after which the access was fine. so fingers crossed they'll stay sealed as i'm off to yorkshire tommorrow for the day.

UHU ; where do i get the techstream tool and is there a certain one i have to get ? it sounds like the sort of thing i need now that i have ventured into 100 series ownership!!

I'm still not convinced ive done the right thing, i liked the simplicity of the 80 series and the manual box, but just trying to get onewith no rust etc is hard now as they are getting older.

Sorry for asking more questions , but i am grateful for all the help
greg

I also miss the 80, if it's of any comfort.

There are some threads on the Tech5tream around here. And there.

Back