Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Quick Glowplug Question.

BobMurphy

Country Flag
scotland
A quick question for you techies . .

What is the torque setting for glowplugs in the 1KZ-TE motor ???

When I fitted a new cylinder head I checked the resistance of my Glowplugs:

The book says they should be 0.65 Ohms and if over 1.0 Ohm should be replaced.

Two of mine were 0.9 Ohms and two were 1.4 Ohms. Despite this it has (and does) always start 'on the button'.

However, the spoilt child now has four new glowplugs but I can't find a torque setting anywhere in the Ellery manual. When I swapped the old ones to the new head I did them up 'tight enough' - which is probably all they need :lol:

Any words of wisdom :?: :?: :?:

Thanks in advance.

Bob.

Bob, I did it by feel too. Nipped and a touch more. I wouldn't stress over a setting for those - but then that's not your style mate, I know. :)

Chris

The torque should be 13 nm or 10 ft/ pounds.

andyw said:
The torque should be 13 nm or 10 ft/ pounds.

Thanks - barely finger tight then :lol:

I'll need my very small torque wrench for that - my normal one starts at 20 ft/lbs.

Bob.

Bob - can you check resistance of the glowplugs without removing them ?
sometimes my colorado doesn't start as well as my 4runner did (which also had KZTE engine)
the 4runner used to start instantly on first crank of the engine.
colorado sometimes cranks 3-4 times before firing. if i leave the glowplugs to preheat a bit longer it can be better.

only a small issue, but bugs me when i know how good the 4runner was at starting (and that had done 180,000miles - colorado done 80k miles!)

You should be able to check th ein situ from the centre of the plug where the connection is to the nearest ground ground point which should be the engine body. Make sure the connection point is removed so that you don't get a wrong reading.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
+1 - but as Nuclear Chicken says, remove the live connection from the top contact first.

The four glowplugs are connected by a steel strip with slotted holes. The live connection is to no 1 plug (under the air intake hose). There is therefore no need to remove all the nuts - just loosen them and slide the strip connector away to the side.

Resistance is then measured between the insulated top contact and the glowplug body or engine block.

Only £11 each (plus shipping and VAT) from Milners.

(I should have bought shares in Milners :doh: )

Bob.

Back