Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Range Rover 2 Door

frank rabbets

Guru
I want a 2 door Range Rover so if anyone knows of one for sale I'd be grateful.

I built a new one in 1984ish. It was simple, easy to work on and reliable. Also the best road holding 4x4 ever made, i.e. without power steering.

Confused...

My neighbour in Brum around that time had one, in Sahara Gold, and it was a pig to drive (without power steering).

I managed to get him a full power steering set from the factory, and it was good after that. His next target was to get more than 8 mpg out of it.

3.5 lt V8 with twin Stromberg carbs (IIRC) may be wrong... it was a long time ago. Oh and it rolled a lot in a very scary way on cornering.

Now Chas,that's the Range Rover I remember my dad had,not much off been on a boat in middle of bad weather it rocked that much.

Forget the body roll. The chassis stays glued to the road. I was able to out corner my mates MG Midget. It was a very light car (1700 kg) with aluminium block which you could easily lift with one hand. The body panels and roof were aluminium. I put 10.5 CR pistons in the engine as you could get 4 star petrol. Original CR was 8.3. Most of the parts including the chassis were new but dated to 1972. In those days you could build a new car and register it with a new registration after paying car tax. Chassis number on log book was CFR 1 !!!
I didn't want the power steering as it took away from the road holding. After the early cars like mine they added more and more junk.
The 80 and 100 I have are OKish to drive but not very good cornering especially on a bumpy road. I'd just like shear enjoyment again.
I did 200,000 miles in it with not much trouble. I sold it because I injured my back and could not reach the gear lever easily.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'll give you that Frank, they were light and powerful and I didn't drive it enough to know where the roll and other cornering limits were.

The trouble these days to get a good one from 70's will be a task, the chassis was prone to rot in a fearsome way along with the non aluminium body panels, starting with the lower tailgate that often used to get changed during the first year of warranty.

Now Chas,that's the Range Rover I remember my dad had,not much off been on a boat in middle of bad weather it rocked that much.

Chas?

Frank - drop me a pm and I'll send you my number. Got a 1976 project 2dr that is tentatively up for sale. Located in west mids too so not far from you (it's at my parents).

Some memories are better cherished than revisited , past lovers and vehicles are high on that list .

Hi Frank have a look at item number 321741323963 look's good from Tony

catalytic corrosion has done for most of them, and they are now a bona fide classic car. good ones go for serious money
If you know your rangies you'll know what this is, but even so, 86k!!!!

GEDC0313_zps6d4277c4.jpg

That must be an early one with reg YVB....I went to the Dealer in Bristol in 1969 to pick up a brochure which I still have. All the RR's in it are YVB....

What I liked about my 2 door was it's simplicity with no ecu's at all nor catalyst.

^It's one of the prototypes as the bonnet reads VELAR... that was what they labelled them as before launching as the Range Rover.

I'd be tempted with one of the last French Market 2 door RR's; they came as a panel van, so could make a nice overlander, and now that the current RAV4 is just about bigger than a RRC, they're quite a small vehicle now

catalytic corrosion has done for most of them, and they are now a bona fide classic car. good ones go for serious money
If you know your rangies you'll know what this is, but even so, 86k!!!!

View attachment 19086

£86k and it doesn't even include wing mirrors? :icon-rolleyes:

Here is a picture of the chassis/suspension layout. The front is identical to an 80 so who copied who? The rear layout is superior. Trr 001.JPGhat self levelling suspension unit gives unbelievable road holding on a fast bumpy corner.

Back