I see everyone's favourite automotive monarch is at it again:

Hmmm....???

SS 2021-11-10 at 21.45.50.png

SS 2021-11-10 at 21.40.06.png

Double Hmmm....???

SS 2021-11-10 at 21.50.24.png

screenshot-www.check-mot.service.gov.uk-2021-11-10-21-52-25-763.png

Last edited:
Unfortunately there are some very naive people out there that will be taken in by these ads when a few quick checks like you've done could save them lot of suffering and money!
@stuzbot How's it going with the 90?

Reactions: Raj
@stuzbot How's it going with the 90?

Still having fun driving it but equally still undecided whether to spend a couple of grand putting everything right on it, or try and find another better one and use this as a donor vehicle.

Is the reg from the BMW 530d been transferred or cloned? And if the MOT history is for this 100, how did you find the actual reg?

I love it

“A BIG MAJOR SERVICE INCLUDING ALL NEW OILS“

AND ALL THE USUAL UNDERSIDE CORROSION ISSUES THAT ALL THESE OLDER CRUISERS SUFFER WITH AT THIS AGE HAVE ALL BEEN PROFESSIONALLY ADDRESSED TO A VERY HIGH STANDARD AND UNDERSIDE PROTECTED FOR THE FUTURE !!

I bet it’s snottered together and lashed with copious amount of euro car parts finest underbody schultz

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The MOT history is for the LC in the 2nd ad. The one with "impeccable service history"
Thanks - viewing on my phone and it wasn't clear.

Finding a decent LC 100/90/80 for a reasonable price has always been hard but now as they age, that's getting VERY hard.

In some respects, I think it's better to go with a cheaper one with "known" issues, than a more expensive one which might look good on the surface but hides its issues.

"Sold as seen and not fit for purpose". What an idiot. He's a car dealer so can't get out of his legal commitments.

So he is basically saying it unfit and dangerous to use mmmmm

...snottered...

Now, there's a word I haven't heard since I was a wee fella
In some respects, I think it's better to go with a cheaper one with "known" issues, than a more expensive one which might look good on the surface but hides its issues.

The trouble is, it's so difficult [seemingly impossible] to find one that's a solid base to start from. I probably wouldn't be able to rebuild an engine or transmission, like some of the smart folks on here. But I can do most of the service type mechanicals, so wouldn't be fazed by buying one that had a rust-free chassis but a few mechanical issues to sort out. Trouble is, whatever their condition mechanically, they all seem to have rotted out chassis. So you need to budget for some welding, on top of whatever else needs putting right.

Back on the subject of adverts again: I'm amazed at what people prioritise when writing the blurb for their eBay / Autotrader /Gumtree ads. Often I'll read the vehicle description and they'll wax lyrical for several paragraphs about the in-car entertainment system or the fact it's got this or that electrical gadget, but will fail to provide any photos of the underside or even under the bonnet. I can see why the ICE or trim level might be a selling point for a brand new motor at the dealership. But who the hell looking at buying a 20 year old wagon gives a flying f**k about what brand of car stereo it has --and doesn't want to see the underside or the engine?

And, is the fact that MOT history is freely available online a big secret or something? The number of glowing testimonies to vehicles with "no expense spared" and "maintained regardless of cost" that I read --only to check the MOT history and find a list of failures and never-addressed advisories as long as your arm-- beggars belief. Do sellers really find [or expect to find] people willing to hand over thousands of £££s, without even doing some rudimentary background checking?

Agree with all that Stuzbot, and yes, its surprising how an all singing all dancing sound system does turn a few (empty) heads on importance, and as long as there are twats out there that don't do any homework, then they will easily be parted from their ££££.
The Landcruiser King has trouble remembering the amount of keys with it as well. 2 keys or is it 3

"Definitely re MKs, ZILs and RB44s - they were for nothing a few years ago - I remember seeing a mint ZIL 131 "painted lady" at War and Peace a few years ago for £3k (though Mogs and Pinzies have never been cheap as far as I can remember!)."

RB44's were/are cheap for a reason....most of them spent their entire Army service VOR because of the brakes.... a few claim to have resolved the brake issue but even they admit it's only temporary .
The current AWD's that are trickling out (most are now gone) are not a bad truck but not like a cruiser to drive in terms of refinement and cruising ability by a long chalk .

Some of the best and cheaper alternatives for expedition vehicles are the smaller 4x4 Jap trucks like the Isuzu Elf

I asked our “king“ for some pictures, but guess what? Super silence!

On another note, my mate sold his Mums 200 to WBAC, but previous to that I had loosely advertised it for him, my mate had a couple of calls from him at this time but nothing firm other than a offering him cash but not following it through. Anyway it went to auction and the “king” bought it, he had numerous calls from him after telling him how much he paid and how much he was going to sell it for, how much he knew about these and how he was the “king all things Landcruiser” My mate describes him as a total tool!

Was looking at AHC videos n found this video. These guys say 80series is among the best Landcruisers

I browsed through this guys videos and found in one of his videos, he visited some show and saw many of our club members cars there

Yes, that was from the Fake Stratford meet in Lincolnshire last year.

Outside Landcruiser club, not many people will know about cars. Landcruiser is 5th car I bought but never knew that cars will rust so badly underneath or we have to check MOT history in such detail. My only criteria was less than 60K miles max 2 owners. Now after reading all these posts and my experience with LC, I won’t dare to buy a used car :) will just preserve what I have.

These guys say 80series is among the best Landcruisers
Thats long been recognized all over the world Raj , its built heavier than all the rest so they put a lorry engine in it and the result is a luxury tank capable of covering a million miles .

Back