Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Brakes on KZJ95

mike123

Country Flag
wales
Hi only joined yesterday :icon-biggrin: Got a problem already Had a look at Rear Hand Brakes they need changing never done this one, Question Do i need to take Half Shaft out There is not enough room to work on them even though i took pads and Disc off any help would be Appreciated thanks in advance tim falce thanks for the reply No room to work Round it

Last edited:
If you are talking about the handbrake shoes then I very much doubt it, you just need to work round it and I assume you mean half shafts not the prop shaft

I don't understand what you mean by no room to work around it... Once the disc comes off, the entire handbrake set up is there in front of you. Other than that it's just the cable and bell cranks... Neither of which require the halfshaft to move...

Last edited:
Bob yes it is there in front of you But its covered by the plate that holds the Wheel Studs There is not enough room to get Fingers or small pliers in ??? Does this plate come off the Half Shaft ????

Noo noo noo. Trust me, you don't have to take the half shaft out. There is a knack to this but honestly it's not difficult. I am not going to repeat the whole procedure because it's been covered so many times on here. Try using the search facility a bit. The real trick is that you don't try to assemble the little springs and caps with the shoes in. You put them in first then pop them over the shoes. Getting them out is simple you just flick them off with a screwdriver.

Once the drum disk is off, slacken off the little cog at the bottom, put it out and pull out the top spreader bar. Take the two top tension springs off, pop the little caps and srings off the middle of the shoes, undo a couple of small springs and disconnect the wire link from the crank. There's no special order but the flange shouldn't stop you. Stick with it.

I was thinking while im changing Pads and shoes better change Springs rung Milner they don't do them can i get them in the UK?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
af far as I know they are the same as the ones on the 80 series. And I have bought them. And they're crap so don't bother. The washers are too small and thin. The only bit that's any good is the long and cranked pin in my view.

chris been looking at these Untitled.jpg what's your view iv sent them an E/Mail to make sure they fit, they work out about £40 i was surprised Milner didn't do them sorry im bit late tonight

Last edited:
Ahh, right THAT lot. The reason that Milner don't carry them is because you are probably the first person in history to change them all. You don't usually need to change that lot. The 4 pins, 4 little caps and 4 big caps is usually all you need due to rust. The horseshoe bit are however a very useful addition along with the little pins. All of the other springs are usually OK. For £40 though you could certainly make a very nice job of refurbishing your hand brake. Odd that it doesn't include the wire link from the bell crank. That's a favourite for being crappy.

Chris what about Rough Trax is there stuff any Better (Springs) Shipping charges do not include any customs duties & taxes that may apply to your country at time of import. Bit mind Blowing spent a while studying Import+ Export don't recommend it :wtf: Takes the Shine of the Job Back later :icon-biggrin:

Can't really help you there Mike. I just get the bits out of my cupboard or tool box when I need them. I'd just order them from Toyota through Simom Holton on here and only order the bits you really need. You don't need that lot unless they are rusted to nothing.

Roughtrax is in the UK so why would there be any import costs? Wales is still in the UK for now.

I ordered some bits from roughtrax today at 3.30 and will be here in the morning seems good service to me, and no import costs

Late again :oops: ordered some parts off Rough Trax little while ago I will give them a ring in the morning about the springs there is 1 broken the one i have marked chris How do i contact Simom Holton
springs.png

Last edited:
Chris, How do i contact Simom Holton

Mike,

In case Chris isn't on here for a while . . .

Simon Holton is at the Aylesbury Office of Steven Eagell Toyota.

Call him on his direct line - 01296 673 589.

Or, e-mail your requirements to him at: [email protected] .

Tell him you're a member of this forum.

He would like you to quote part numbers if possible - I'll PM you :icon-wink:.

He'll e-mail you a quotation on a spreadsheet - then 'phone him back with your card details :thumbup:.

He's a good guy to deal with.

Bob.

Thanks BoB & chris will give him a ring, I live 5 min away from Toyota dealer wont help in anyway :mad: Its an Import, Back later :thumbup:

I've been trying Simons number on and off all afternoon but no answer. :thumbdown:

Chas possible he might be on holiday :icon-question: Rang jamie in Rough Trax he is going to make some inquires as well Changing Subject a Bit im towing an Ivor Williams 14ft Stock Trailer going to look at my Suspension Can i pick some one,s Brains on here or do i need to ask in another area :icon-question:

Simon was at work on Thursday as I ordered some seals from him

Changing Subject a Bit im towing an Ifor Williams 14ft Stock Trailer going to look at my Suspension Can i pick some one's Brains on here or do i need to ask in another area :icon-question:

This forum is fine - but it would be best if you started another thread on "Suspension Issues" as finding it again in the future would be difficult if its hidden under 'handbrake' :doh:.

Lots of us have had our suspension apart and replaced/upgraded stuff, so ask away :thumbup:.

Bob.

Bob Understood :thumbup: These bloody brakes or cracking me up But The boys in Rough Trax are helping me sort it :thumbup: Toyota could learn a lot from Barry and Jamie cant speak Highly enough of them, so far the parts i ordered on Friday arrived early this morning :clap: Toyota couldn't find my truck in there system this morning :wtf: Barry found it in about 15sec

Back