Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Diff Lock maintenance

TALAMAN

Country Flag
cyprus
Hello again - forgive the constant questions but I am in a hurry to learn!

I have read many threads and so far, the only advice I have seen on rear diff lock maintenance is "use it often!"

Luckily, mine works well atm (touch wood!) is there anything else I can do to help extend it's working life?

Well operating it does mean it stays free, but that's not the only killer. Salt and crud gets down behind it - between the casing and the axle itself. Eventually this eats through the casing and it's good night Vienna.
Worth getting a hose, airline or coat hanger down there making sure there is a free path top to bottom. Once the pathway is blocked moisture sits there and eats away at the alloy.

Thanks guys! One more question Chris, if you don't mind, I will have the car on a ramp tomorrow, is it worth taking off and cleaning/greasing or anything like that while I have the opportunity?

I certainly would, but that's me. What I don't want is for you to get into trouble and end up breaking it. If you release the bolts (1 nut and 2 bolts IIRC) and it wiggles free then I'd paint it before putting it back on. Looking at you flag you appear to be in Cyprus. In which case you should be stealing locker motors and exporting them to the UK. If you are here in the UK amidst all this salt and snow then yes whip it off.

Even if you don't take it off, painting the casing wouldn't go amiss. Most of them rot all over. It can be hard to tell what is rot from the outside-in or from the inside-out (once water/salt has got in) but it appears to be a bit of both.

However if you can take it off, then as Chris says the back plate is the most vulnerable bit. There is an air gap of 1 or 2mm between the back plate and the diff housing and the two only touch in a limited number of places so once grot is in there it is trapped. Salt/water mix is the worst, but even in a non-salt country I would guess mud and moisture can get trapped there.

you should be stealing locker motors and exporting them to the UK

Haha. Could be lucrative - I paid £200 for my second-hand locker

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The rear locker is mounted on two long studs that form part of the diff retaining set (plus one short 8mm threaded bolt).

It is usual in the UK for the locker to be seized onto the studs but you may be OK in a warmer salt-free climate.

You may find that the studs unscrew from the axle casing instead of the nuts coming off the end - the lower stud is below the oil level in the axle so be prepared for a leak!

Bob.

Thanks VERY much everyone for your advice that is greatly appreciated. Just had to delay the time on the ramp as I am still waiting for the correct transfer box oil seal. Will photograph the locker if I remember/get time but it all looks super clean at the moment!

Back