Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear shocker burst

• Thread starter LandCruiser1978
  • Start date
L

LandCruiser1978

After doing 1000k in the cruiser in 2 weeks got home and found an oil patch under the back of the cruiser
I thought it looked abit low at the back aswell

so put my head underneath and found one of the rear shockers had burst ...
Wasn't like this before the hols because it went for it's mot ..

I didn't realise they could just fail like this .

So i've ordered a pair of shocks and springs from milners

Any tips for the job?
Any other maintenance jobs at the back while i'm doing the repairs at the weekend

Hi
My 80 did this. I don't think the shock affects the ride height.
Mine was double skinned at the bottom and water was held in there by capillary action and the shock had rusted through. So the new one I heated up SLIGHTLY! and soaked it in waxoil to fill the crack up. I was not able to take the top plate off due to seized bolts but I was able to get over the top of the plate to the nut which goes on the threaded shock strut. If you get a short spanner on here you should be able to turn the shock and spanner together and then the spanner on it's own to undo the nut. The hardest part was starting the nut off.

pm me if you need a talk through it on the phone.

Frank

I should think the first tip is not to use Milners springs and dampers.

I don't think my Toyota ones were that expensive. Worth the peace of mind.

Frank

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry can't remember. If you give them your reg' number they will quote you. I always ask for a discount and have always obtained one unless the item is very little money.

Frank

Hi
Found the figures!

June 2009. 2 x Shocks = £94.68 Total for both.

Discount was 10% and VAT 15%.

Frank

I phoned Mr T this morning and they quoted £48+vat each

But 20mins later my order from MILNERS arrived

And to my surprise the shocks supplied by them are TOYOTA branded .

Removed the shock from my 80 and it is identical has the same product codes on the shocks and came in a TOYOTA bag
Milner supply TOYOTA shock absorbers for £35+vat each BARGAIN

Only issue i have is the ARB mount bolts that go into the chassis (2x12mm)have snapped .
Gonna have to drill and tap it 2moz

Doesn't always happen - but Milner do stock some OEM parts. Not always and you may not always get sent them. But yes, they do. I got an OEM master cylinder for £50. The same price as the copy part that was next to it on the shelf. I guess it's what comes in from the buyers / suppliers.

Nice one though.

Chris

I new my bolts were going to snap!!! That's why I struggled undoing the centre nut in- situ. Well done getting the branded bargains!!

Frank

Back