Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Renewal arrived today....

chadr

Garage
Country Flag
england
My renewal from Direct Line arrived - £436.00 plus another £57 for breakdown cover. Not bad at all - I was expecting nearly £600'ish.

This doesn't include the recent SL, though I doubt it will make too much difference.

Me & SWMBO as named drivers (both 40+), fully comp, 9 yrs NCD and estimated annual mileage ~10k.

I will still phone around and see if I can get a cheaper quote, though this at least provides me with a good fallback. :)

I'd be surprised if DL will cover it now you've modified it :roll:

Well the current insurance and renewal does include the SS exhaust, LPG, 265/75 tyres etc.......I meant to give them a ring about the SL anyway.

They refused to cover my hilux when I fitted a suspension lift. :thumbdown: I'm now with NFU who are fine with it. :thumbup:

NFU all the way,,,

And the free green card for Moroc, if your thinking of a jaunt to the sand hills.
Gra

Well a rather unproductive day for me......

Rang Direct Line and told them about the SL, they wanted to increase the premium by another £140 just for that :evil: , bringing the total to nearly £580 + £57 for breakdown cover. They also mentioned that the quote was "referred" to an underwriter and that was due me not being registered on "drivelpg" following the LPG conversion. :? They also advised me to registered in time for next year's quote so that it didn't happen again. :|

Rang 2gether and they took all my details and mods and quoted £550, then 10 mins later left an answerphone message saying that they got it wrong and couldn't insure me with the mods I have and annual mileage (~8k), which includes commuting.

Tried Sykes, again they took all my details and said that their computer system was playing up and that they would email me a quote. 30 minutes later had an email in my inbox stating that they couldn't insure me due to the number of seats (8) !?!? :evil: In that case surely ALL other 90s/80s/100s insured with them must be invalid too - unless they are insured as 7 seaters?? :?

Also tried NFU and after holding for 12 minutes got through to someone that told me that they didn't have any "sales associates" available to talk to me and they have promised to call back tomorrow at 10am. :thumbdown:

Hopefully NFU will come through in the morning, if not I'll try again in the New Year. I have till the 10th to sort this out.......

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Give Chris Knott a call, been very reasonable with me & one or two people iv'e passed on.

Thanks I'll try them in the New Year too....

chadr said:
Well a rather unproductive day for me......

Rang Direct Line and told them about the SL, they wanted to increase the premium by another £140 just for that :evil: , bringing the total to nearly £580 + £57 for breakdown cover. They also mentioned that the quote was "referred" to an underwriter and that was due me not being registered on "drivelpg" following the LPG conversion. :? They also advised me to registered in time for next year's quote so that it didn't happen again. :|

Rang 2gether and they took all my details and mods and quoted £550, then 10 mins later left an answerphone message saying that they got it wrong and couldn't insure me with the mods I have and annual mileage (~8k), which includes commuting.

Tried Sykes, again they took all my details and said that their computer system was playing up and that they would email me a quote. 30 minutes later had an email in my inbox stating that they couldn't insure me due to the number of seats (8) !?!? :evil: In that case surely ALL other 90s/80s/100s insured with them must be invalid too - unless they are insured as 7 seaters?? :?

Also tried NFU and after holding for 12 minutes got through to someone that told me that they didn't have any "sales associates" available to talk to me and they have promised to call back tomorrow at 10am. :thumbdown:

Hopefully NFU will come through in the morning, if not I'll try again in the New Year. I have till the 10th to sort this out.......

Hi

Just a point about NFU, they may not be cheapest, but when you do need to claim, "oh sorry have you not read the small print " they just pay out, or need to change details etc they don't charge extra's !

Thanks, I'll try Chris Knott, NFU and Sykes again in the New Year.

P.S. As you may have gathered....NFU did not call back today! :thumbdown:

Had a very good chat with Chris Knott today. Very keen to get business as they liked the fact that it was a second car - 1st one company car, professional person, no penalties, member of several clubs. This is a good sign to them that we care about our vehicles it seems. Modifications not an issue. All going swimmingly. I was told that for such a quote they were given an open mandate to get the business as we're a good risk. The price on the screen was negotiable in other words. Until UNTIL they got to the bit about claims. As I have had a claim in the last 12 months, they could not entertain me. Oh they would insure me, but at more then AF would. This was the single criteria that was the deciding factor. More than 12 months ago and they'd have beaten the quote easily they said. This stipulation was fairly new apparently. so there we are. That's one down.

Chris

I haven't got around to Chris Knott yet - though they are next on my list.

NFU and AF both came in at just over £1000! :shock: :o , whereas DL, my current insurer, only wanted £585 with all the mods included.

Since I use the car for commuting (2-3 days a week) it seems to hike the premium and the annual mileage of ~10k doesn't help either, I suppose.

I could probably save shedloads, if I walked everywhere!! :roll:

P.S. Those of you with Graham Sykes - how many seats did you say your LC has? (When I said 8 - they said they couldn't insure me as it had too many!!)

chadr said:
P.S. Those of you with Graham Sykes - how many seats did you say your LC has? (When I said 8 - they said they couldn't insure me as it had too many!!)
I have posted about this seat issue before, Adrian Flux were the same, they said that they couldn't cover the Land Cruiser due to it having 8 seats. They didn't know that it had 8 seats, I pointed it out to them when they ran though their usual assumptions at high speed "UK car, RHD, 7 seats...." err no, it has 8.

I found that very few insurers will cover anything that has more than 8 seats, 7 appears to be their max spec. I posted it on here as I suspect other people have managed to insure their vehicle with some of these companies. I wonder where you stand legally if you where to remove the 8th seat belt?

I insured the 80 with Chris Knott in the end, with similar cover to yours, commmuting, 10k per year, mods, clean licence, full NCB (not that that means anything these days!), and my quote was around £370 less than yours. Unusual/annoying this insurance issue, I'm sure they just pick a number.

Good luck.

I told Chris Knott that mine had only 5 seats. Not every 80 ever made has 8 seats as we know and I told them that one of the mods was that the back row had been removed. When I questioned the MOT mat (for Lil Blue) he said if there was a belt he'd test it. If there was a seat with no belt he'd fail it. If there was no belt and no seat - what would he test?

They were completely cool with that. I know some people have and want 8 seats. I don't. I have a 7 seat Verso too.

Chris

i told Graham Sykes mine has 2 seats. :D

i have had a slight issue with them last week, in that they sent me a letter requesting proof of my club membership, and threatening that if they dont receive it within the next 7 days, then i will owe them money, as me telling them im a member of this club brought the price down. :?

luckily a few PM's to some of the mods and this has now been sorted. :clap: :D

Glad it helped ... :thumbup:

For all others - if your proposed insurer requires proof of club membership please contact me in the first instance, as I've been doing the letters, alternatively Crispin (who'll probably just phone me anyway ;) ). PM is good - you should get a pretty fast response. Please also let me know if you need a paper copy or just a PDF version.

Cheers

As far as I know if there are only e.g. 5 seats in the truck then it's a five seater, doesn't matter how many seats you could fit if you wanted to (IMO). Of course if you then put the extra seats back in you'd be uninsured but while they're in the loft or whatever they don't count (IMO!).

I do occasionally used the third row seats in the 80, although I've only ever had 7 people onboard, I doubt that I'd be able to get 3 adults to sit on the third row seats for very long! I reckon the third row seat belt could be removed, and unless a tester was clued up on the particular model, I would think he'd assume that the third row seats were a two seater, as most vehicles on the road are.

I've checked my V5, it doesn't state how many seats my 80 has. I've worked on the assumption that I have as many seats, as I do belts, so as it stands on the drive it currently has 8 seats.

I do think removing the 8th belt would do the trick / make it a 7 seater so you could keep the seats in but have more insurance choice.

Well it seems that Chris Knott may have come through for me :thumbup:

I had a long chat with them and detail about all the "mods" etc. and went through the usual Q&A process, when it came to the "we have a price for you sir...." bit, I was fully expecting a figure north of £700....so after the drumroll, the (very friendly) man said £485, I was VERY pleasantly surprised. :D

That's fully comp to include my mods (which are covered "like-for-like"), SDP & commuting ~10k miles, £250 excess, protected NCB, upto £100k legal cover, courtesy car and free EU cover etc. The policy is with Highway/Liverpool Victoria I believe....

Not bad all in all, me thinks! :thumbup:

Since my current policy doesn't expire till week, I didn't actually go for it on the spot, though I was very tempted.......I'll be back on the phone next week no doubt! :roll:

Thanks guys. :clap:

Back