Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replace auto gearbox with a manual

SteveS

I'm thinking of buying a 100 series truck but there appear very few manual gearbox versions on the market. So I wondered is it a straight forward job to find and fit a manual box to an auto? What would be the key issues: gearing, transfer box, prop shafts etc

Which box should I fit on say a late model 2005/6?

Any advice much appreciated

It won't be straightforward. Probably the biggest headache is going to be unravelling the electronics to let the truck know there isn't an autobox - ironically on the later trucks this will be worse because the gearbox doesn't have a separate ECU, it's integrated into the main engine management system. Or alternatively finding a manual ECU system and transferring it over.

After that, fitting the gearbox and switching the pedal boxes should be simplicity by comparison.

Wait it out, the 100's are more complex than an 80 which at least one forum member has converted with success. Also 100's are very thin on the ground for 2nd hand parts. Patience is the key when seeking the "right" Cruiser.

Andy

Everything I've seen so far is auto....was beginning to think that only autos in this country but my web searches suggest there were a few manuals at least. There's always importing from Australia or perhaps South Africa or Japan - but that brings with it its own problems and on-going issues with insurance, etc. If I go down that route then a 105 may be a better bet from the outset

I wouldn't even attempt it, the list of ancillary parts (loom, ECU remap/replace etc) is going to be a total nightmare.

Its not overly difficult on older cars but even then its really only economically viable with a full donor vehicle when you ad in things like pedal box, dash, mounts and cross members. Its still a lot of work.

Also, your right when you say they are thin on the ground, so where are you going to get the bits from??

OTOH, it is possible to drive an auto vehicle without the auto-box connected. I did that for a week or two (shifting mechanically, 3 gears only) - the only issue was the CEL being lit all the time.
Mechanically, you have the shifter, flywheel, transfer box adaptor, pedal box, diff ratio, - at least.

But - have you actually tested the 100 auto with the 5-speed?
I never wanted an auto, but reluctantly accepted one instead of waiting for 5 months more for delivery of a manual. Never looked back - the auto is really good for this car.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I haven't the experience with this but....

You could fit the timing gears from a 24 v 80 engine so the mechanical fuel pump can be used.
Put the manual 24v gearbox on. Props etc are a small issue. Bolt holes in Chasie may need moving for the gearbox support.

I had a 100 series converted to a 12v manual 80 series engine and box. Worked well. Under geared but for me towing a lot it worked fine.

I know a man that may be interested in doing it if you wanted to go that far.

It brought engine management light up but just pulled the bulb.

Wouldn't be as straight forward as mine was due to making the wiring good.

Someone with more knowledge than me may know for sure if it could be done. I think it can be though.

There are a few 100 series manuals on eBay at the minute....

Tell you what, give 8 grand for an auto one and try it.
I'll pm you my number - with a guarantee I will give you £4k same day if you don't like it :)

There are a few 100 series manuals on eBay at the minute....

I find it a struggle to respond to ebay sales- I feels too much like the wild west- perhaps I need to be more confident in this respect....thanks for letting me know - i'll take a look

My last cruiser, a 4.2 diesel 80, was an auto and so is my 100. Best thing I ever did was going to auto's. Smooth and seamless gear changes. Fantastic when towing especially now I have a 5 speed box. Go and try one. You might be surprised!

paul c

It will definitely not be straightforward in a modern vehicle.

Its all the sub systems like cruise control, 2nd start, that will need hooked up and error signals disabled etc.

also as mentioned the management systems etc will be different, the smart auto boxes talk the engine and vice versa for smoother gear changes,.

you may also have ATF coolers to disable.

Need to buy as a minimum: gearbox, gear shifter, centre console, pedal box, clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, thrust lever and bearing, fly wheel, clutch assembly, and probably more.

In my opinion the auto is a better truck and this is not worth the effort and I suspect you will be chasing electrical errors for ever.

Hope it helps

I think that is good advice to go and try an auto. I guess the reason I was thinking of manual was the perceived extra complexity of an auto box.....my plan is to overland in what ever vehicle I buy...having said that autos are usually reliable things and act as a way of smoothing the abuse the drive train could get. However, modifying an auto to a manual does not appear to be a viable option - at least I know that now - thx all

Slushboxes mate all the way.......I'd have one in me van if I could too, much prefer them.....plus the cost of clutches/dmf's etc these days an auto plus one rebuild will end up cheaper than 2/3 clutches over the years...

Auto every time from now on.

Even bought her a Nissan Micra----------Auto.
Well, actually it is constantly variable transmission, but with out the old fashioned twin pulley and belt.
Has the "Auto" stick, with Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive & Low.

Little flyer for just 1000cc. perfect for her 5 miles to work, through thousands of traffic lights and round-a-bouts

Gra

I agree, Auto is the only way to go. Last week I had a new E class as a loan car while my car was serviced, not even a gear stick any more just a stalk like the wipers, up for forwards back for reverse....

I'm thinking of buying a 100 series truck but there appear very few manual gearbox versions on the market. So I wondered is it a straight forward job to find and fit a manual box to an auto? What would be the key issues: gearing, transfer box, prop shafts etc

Which box should I fit on say a late model 2005/6?

Any advice much appreciated

A simple question! WHY?

Steve, I get where you're coming from. I have overhanded both Auto and Manual and I would take a manual EVERY time, especially of you are going into the middle of nowhere and far from human contact.

1) you cannot push start an auto.
2) If you break down and can't find a flat bed, towing an auto is really a no no.
3) Manual gives driver much more control in very difficult terrain.
4) Manual box is less complicated than Auto box with its extra cooling, ecu etc etc.

If you never intend to be too far from civilisation, then both work well enough.

It really is personal preference; go with what you feel most comfortable and confident with.

Back