Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania anyone?

wobbly

Garage
Anyone interested in a trip to Romania?

I am hoping to go in October, so before the Autumn sets in, or if not then maybe May 2013.

General plan is a 2 day trip to Targu Mures, then possibly a spell with a guide in the mountains, a bit of touristy stuff on top,followed by a sedate drive back.

Total distance will be about 3500 miles.

Camping if possible, B&B's as necessary.

Havent looked at cost of ferries etc yet, nor exact dates - wont be the half-term is about the only restriction.

Pete

Guide has come back to me, October not advisable due to bad weather.

Want to include the Transfagaran Highway, which doesnt open till 15th May, so looks like May / June 2013.

The guy from Vampire Tours will run a trip with 5 vehicles if asked.

Pete

I had been looking into heading to Romania this summer. and getting this roadbook
http://guide4x4.free.fr/catalogue1/page5-en.html

but decided i didnt have enough holiday time, since it was going to take me 4 days to get to Romania and maybe 4-5 to drive back
so went to Alps instead and got roadbook from same place

Romania is on the list to visit one day, when alps and pyrenees trails get more restrictive..

Hi Andy

Was the roadbook in English?

150euro is a fair price - was it sufficient for you to do the route without a local guide ? Did you go solo?

Pete

The roadbook I got for Alps was in French (we havent been to Romania yet)

but we managed to translate it easily when required. I was also given GPS waypoints, and digitized some extras myself.

in alps we were solo for 4-5 days and with friends for with a Hilux 3 days
and it was easy to navigate, we did have to backtrack and detour on some routes due to landslide or rockfall blockages on the trails

I cannot comment on need for a guide or not in Romania though, i was going to rely on maps and the roadbook if i went, but probably wouldnt go solo

Hi Pete,

Might be worth a mention that the Transfagarasan is normally closed all of October through to end of June, in other words open during July, August and September.

Another road worth trying is the Transalpina starting near Ramnica Valcea. Google Earth "Novaci Romania", and it's the asphalt road running E then NE out of the village. Again limit yourself to the Summer months only, June through August/September latest.

If it's on for next Summer I'd be pleased to join you for a few days... :thumbup:

Blew another tyre this weekend, not happy.
559300_10151019685399713_1410566170_n.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi is the 67C all tarmac now? In 2009 it was under construction... far more fun than the 7C!
vlcsnap_1301547.sized.jpg

vlcsnap_1302070.sized.jpg

vlcsnap_1303064.sized.jpg

vlcsnap_1302639.sized.jpg

AFAIK no, well not yet. But it's that type of road that never gets finished! :roll:

Hope Pete gets a trip together next year, it would be great to meet up with some of you guys. :thumbup:

Just returned from Romania last Friday - if camping these are great sites http://www.paspoortroemenie.nl also you must try the Transalpina as it is 90% tarmac but the views are amazing...

br1.jpg

If you use iPad for navigation (as I do) the best mapping detail for £15 by far is iGO.

Would be interested to hear how you got on.

Are you going to do a trip report with photos.....

Pete

Hi IOM, did you try the DN67D? It goes from Petrosani (the town at the north end of the Transalpina) and runs SW (ish) to Baile Herculane.

I'm told its a good offroad without being too extreme. Some ridges with views and some in the river valley. A couple of lakes and reservoirs on the way. Looks interesting on Googearth. Wannado with the Transalpina, one day... when I'm not busy working... :violin:

You must have had a hot week here... I was so pleased that it rained on Saturday... :thumbup: Photos?

Both are in the Targu Mures target area, and I hope to include both.

I've been doing a bit of reading (Lonely Planet) and am honing in on Transylvania, originally I wanted to do a general route ending at the coast, but I doubt time will allow.

Not sure about Bucharest, might leave that for a fly-in long weekend.

Pete

IMO Bucharest and the coast are close to a waste of time, and the coast is a long way from the good parts. GB has a much more interesting coastline anyway!

I've decided to have some time off next year to do some touring. After 11 years here, I've seen almost nothing :shock: :| :violin:

We stayed in a camp site almost in the center of Bucharest not far from the river by IKEA - great city almost like a mini Paris, food was good and beer very cheap!!!

I have photos and will set up a photobucket for those who are interested.

Romania was a pleasant surprise for me and not what I was expecting, definitely worth a visit.

IOM - look forward to seeing the photo's.

Also be interested in kit - what you took, what you wish you'd taken etc.

Navigation - I was going to buy a tomtom with european maps, but an ipad would work for me - you used a 3G dongle?

I'm hoping for an adventurous camping trip, rather than an expedition, hence mainland Europe, but I also want to see Europe before it changes more than it has already.

Pete

Clive - you are about 150miles from Targu Mures, am sure we can arrange a meet up. :thumbup:

Pete

wobbly said:
you used a 3G dongle?

Good God NO!! The charges would have been horrendous, for my Blackberry the roaming alone for 10 days was £270gbp...

With iGO you only pay for the app it's GPS - also have a Montana 650 as the secondary system.

Glad you enjoyed it IOM, I live less than a km from the "Arch de Triumph" just down the road from Baneasa shopping park and IKEA. Didn't know there was a campsite there though! It's a place I try to avoid because IKEA is very close to Carrefour which means the dreaded shopping trolley run :thumbdown:

They've tidied up the city a lot, especially the 'old town' off Blvd. Mageru which has become a traffic free zone full of bars and restaurants. Even after refurbishment they have managed to keep the old flavour and atmosphere of the place.

Hi Pete, I live in Bucharest during the week and at Comarnic at the weekends and any time off I can muster. Both are a good distance from Targu Mures but with some planning I'd really like to meet up.

I'm priming swmbo lately to expect some camping for a few days next summer, I think she's game for it. We've got a 4 yr old daughter and I'm sure she'd love camping! I don't think there's any bears down there either, 'cos camping in my area can be a bit iffy on the mountains.

There's a nice forest road type track at the back of Sinaia (20 mins from Comarnic) down to a place known as Pestera not far from us, where there's a monastary in a cave. The road runs alongside the river and it's great for camping.

I'm crap at these "here" type links (sorry) but this is a googlearth link..

http://kmlworks.appspot.com/kmlflyt...680&ch=578&pw=680&ph=384&hint=,Romania&mode=n

Back