Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania anyone?

clivehorridge said:
They've tidied up the city a lot, especially the 'old town' off Blvd. Mageru which has become a traffic free zone full of bars and restaurants. Even after refurbishment they have managed to keep the old flavour and atmosphere of the place.

Indeed great atmosphere we ate in a restaurant that the rear garden had a section of the old city wall - as I recall a part of the city was uncovered and glass panel covered the city bellow!!

The "Arch de Triumph" was a smaller version, this is why I said it reminded me of a mini Paris.

The marble palace is huge!!

clivehorridge said:
Hi IOM, did you try the DN67D? It goes from Petrosani (the town at the north end of the Transalpina) and runs SW (ish) to Baile Herculane.

I'm told its a good offroad without being too extreme. Some ridges with views and some in the river valley. A couple of lakes and reservoirs on the way. Looks interesting on Googearth. Wannado with the Transalpina, one day... when I'm not busy working... :violin:

You must have had a hot week here... I was so pleased that it rained on Saturday... :thumbup: Photos?

We took this route...

br2.jpg

Nice one! IOM good road... :thumbup:

The marble palace is the second largest building in the world (so I'm told) second only to the Pentagon (although only 1/6th the size).

It has 3,500+ rooms, did you go in? Each room is like a cinema!

clivehorridge said:
Nice one! IOM good road... :thumbup:

More detail.....

Bucharest - Pitesti along highway A1
Pitesti - Valcea along E81
Valcea - Horezu - Novaci along national road DN67

Transalpine Road
Novaci - Ranca (mountain resort) - Obarsia Lotrului (mountain challet) - Oasa Lake - Sugag - Sebes

Sebes - towards Turda - climb A3 direction Cluj - Gilau - Oradea - BORS Romanian Border - towards Debrecen Hungary Highway M35

I've traced it all on Googleearth. Pity the definition isn't better.
Wonderful country, there's everything here. Come again :thumbup:

isle of man said:
clivehorridge said:
They've tidied up the city a lot, especially the 'old town' off Blvd. Mageru which has become a traffic free zone full of bars and restaurants. Even after refurbishment they have managed to keep the old flavour and atmosphere of the place.

Indeed great atmosphere we ate in a restaurant that the rear garden had a section of the old city wall - as I recall a part of the city was uncovered and glass panel covered the city bellow!!

The "Arch de Triumph" was a smaller version, this is why I said it reminded me of a mini Paris.

The marble palace is huge!!

Agree lots to see in that area. i went to a bar/resturant which served massive 1litre steiners of beer, and seating areas upstairs on balconys.

also further north, there is a large lake with some nice restuarants around it and lots of old buildings from around Romania, which had been dismantled and then brought to Bucharest and rebuilt as a museum.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yup.
The "Village Museum" in Herastrau Park. We cycle around the lake in the evenings during the summer. Very pleasant especially with a beer or two to finish off the day.

Attachments

• 43859525a.jpg
    43859525a.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 118
yes the lake is fantastic

2011-07-28%252014.24.52.jpg

i was impressed by this church
IMG-20110728-00123%2520%2528Medium%2529.jpg

quick google and I found the bar/restuarant we spent the evening in
Caru-cu-Bere - well worth a visit - especially when on business trip expenses :thumbup:

Caru-cu-Bere.jpg

Interesting wood work in the Caru cu Bere... and nice table legs :shock: :whistle:

Attachments

• table legs.jpg
    table legs.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 111
  • Caru cu bere.jpg
    Caru cu bere.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 111
Back