Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

RORO Shipping

Can I just point out, and I'm sure people are aware if this anyway, if you do leave anything in the vehicle before it goes on the RORO, do not expect it to be there when you pick it up. Containers I would assume to be more secure, but ive been the victim of having stuff stolen from within the vehicle before.

Paul,

I've built a secure rear drawer system with locking handles. I do have a lot of kit in there and in fact have pulled my cb radio and antenna and placed them in there for safe keeping. Do you reckon this should do?

David

Hi David,

I was told vehicle had to be open for custom inspections at either end of journey & no compartments could be locked or be sealed.

Foleys the Land Rover peeps stopped using roro and went for the more expensive containers as they always loaded their vehicles with parts & every time items were missing on arrival.

Dave.

Hi David

Sounds like a great trip - I'd love to see more of Angola, maybe next year. I'll have to ask for tips when you get back.

Where do you get that much silica? I think it's a great idea!

I'd say ebay is the best http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1kg-Bag-Silic ... 5891d8df49

When do you plan on leaving for Namibia and will you be traveling around?

I plan to move back to Nam at the end of October - I'll probably be shipping mine mid October.

I was told vehicle had to be open for custom inspections at either end of journey & no compartments could be locked or be sealed.

A friend who has shipped a panel van full of her stuff said that she locked everything up and it was all fine at the other end. I'm seeing her today and I'll ask what customs did on the other side. I think if you're there to open up the vehicle for them its fine.

As for dates, I'm trying to have it shipped out around the 1st of July so it will arrive sometime around the 18th or 20th.

I'll find out if my folks are on the farm around mid July and will PM you. If you want to, my sister-in-law has a farm near Otavi which has caves with fantastic staligmites. I think they do ask a small charge for viewing - let me know.

Ok a bit more on this. It costs £900 to ship a LC to Namibia. There are off loading / clearing / facilitation fees to pay on the other side. Give NMT's agents, NovaShip, in Walvis a call on 00264 64 203946 to get accurate costs.

Not sure how it works with carnet, but I would strongly recommend taking the original V5 docs with you.

It does seem that theft of items from the vehicles does occur while on the ship :( . I would suggest you lock your valuable stuff away in drawers / cases. Let NovaShip know that you locked the drawers etc and that you will be at their office first thing on the day the ship arrives to give them the keys if customs need it.

A friend said that customs didn't even look at the stuff in her van - they just asked a random amount to be paid in cash for the import and clearance of the vehicle. So maybe make sure you have enough cash to pay the fees Nova suggests...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ooooo

Shipping prices are coming down :clap:

Russell Freight (0844 884 5973) have just quoted me £775 from Sheerness to Walvis :D

Well, I've been in Walvis Bay for over a week now waiting for my ship to come in... I'm not sure how common this is, but the ship containing my cruiser has been delayed 4 different times. It was supposed to be here when I arrived on July 24. Then they told me July 27, followed by the 31st and now say August 2nd... Unfortunately because NTM doesn't own the ship, nor does the clearing agent, neither of them are taking responsibility. They've both said that weather or crowded ports are to blame...

So, just an FYI, when you ship your vehicle roro or container, be aware that you could be waiting around for a while without wheels. Given the average price of a B&B here is about $N500 per night it can start costing you money you didn't intend to spend. Plus, this town doesn't have much to do. Upside is food and drinks are cheap and pretty good too. There is a 4x4 store to remind you how much you wish you had yours and ample examples of well set up cruisers and land rovers to drool over.

I should know more about my vehicle in a day or so. Also, clearing the vehicle on a carnet has been easy so far. Will post more about the condition of the vehicle when I see it.

David

Sorry to hear about the delays.

You must be foaming at the mouth by now.
So really, they have no excuse for the delays, they are just giving you some tripe.

Hope it arrives soon, and your out of the port within the shortest possible record breaking time.
Gra.

I know what you mean when you say there is not much to do there. I must have spent 3 months of my life in Walvis auditing a fishing company. There's a bit more to do in Swakop if you can get there.

Hope it gets all sorted out smoothly and quickly. My LCs going to be making the same journey in October so I'm keeping a close eye on how you're getting on. Any more tips would be massively appreciated.

Let me know wwhich clearing agent you are using and what they are like.

Ok, so my ship finally came in and my Cruiser was released on my birthday. I went for the inspection and everything seemed good save someone thought my LED interior lights were pretty cool, so they stole the out of my door panels and out of my map light... They broke my passenger side door panel light in the process. I was also irritated that some clown put their tracking sticker on my door panel instead of the window. Given that was all though,I'm pretty happy.

NMT uses some good people in walvis bay. Novaship is their clearing company and the guy I used worked hard for me. I'd work with him again in a heartbeat. If anyone wants his details send me a PM.

We're now in Rundu where I'm hoping to add a roof rack and possibly build my rear bumper with swing out. May be a tall order to get it all done.

Halleluiah :thumbup:

Glad you have now got your wheels

Gra

Thanks Graham! Hopefully we'll be in Angola this time next week putting it through the paces. I gotta say, she runs like a champ. The tuning that Julian V did to the diesel pump has made it come alive! Anyone sending their cruiser to Africa should swing by his shop beforehand. Just don't borrow his Cruiser. You'll end up wishing for an intercooler.

Hi David

Did you lock everything away in your LC. Did you have stuff lying around in the car?
Cheers

James,

Sorry this comes so late. I built a locking drawer system and locked LOADS in it. I didn't include the keys to the locks with the key to the ignition. I also locked some jerry cans and a fridge in place between the rear hand holds where the 3rd row seats would be. I intentionally left some "stuff" out in the glove box and center console for people to steal so they would leave everything else alone. Those things didn't appeal to them though, only my LED lights. Still, all that being said, I don't feel I came off to bad. I would recommend NMT without reservation. Just spend the money and either buy or build a sliding drawer system that locks. This will undoubtedly save your kit.

Back