Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rust

warrenpfo

With the immanent replacement bumpers on their way I though it best to tackle the small bit of surface rust that has developed on the rear cross member and other areas over the winter period.

A few questions:
1. Is a good old wire brush and wire wheel (the kind you stick in a drill) best for the job or is one of these abrasive pads you can get better.

2. I thought I had done a good job last summer having removed all the surface spots and then painting Krust rust converter/prohibit on and maybe its my fault for then not going over it with a top coat but it came back, this time I will be using Dinitrol products.

3. Can one run a wire all the way along the inside of the chassis rail or are there supporting struts which would stop you?

warrenpfo said:
1. Is a good old wire brush and wire wheel (the kind you stick in a drill) best for the job
Works for me :thumbup: You get wire cup attachments for a small grinder which also work well. If it's very minor rust and you don't want to get down to bare shiny metal, then maybe a flapwheel would be better as it's less aggressive.

warrenpfo said:
this time I will be using Dinitrol products.
This should do the trick, especially if you're fairly liberal with the application and make sure you have complete coverage of the exposed areas.

Cheers,

A Cup Brush in an angle grinder works for me, far better than a wire wheel in a drill.

But, wear protective clothing and a visor - those brush tines can pierce your clothing like arrows. I find them in strange places :o .

Bob.

i used to recommend krust rust converter, but ive noticed in places where ive used it and then painted over the top afterwards, the rust is now coming back through the paint. :angry-banghead:

im going to try dinitrol next time. :thumbup:

Back