Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rustproofing, updating methods and products.

I have a plan and an expert to call ...................................

When I washed the car, I used pressure washer at chasis holes behind rear tyres. I saw water coming out from the front but issue was pressure washer nozzle is bigger and won’t go inside the chasis. I can see some mud in the middle. If I go to other side n do, mud will be pushed to opposite but won’t come out. So I started looking for thin extender that can fit inside chasis hole.
Saw this video at 4.37 mins he uses a chasis cleaning extension. After watching this, I tried looking for similar but only found that window and gutter cleaning extension.
Did anyone see such thin bent extension anywhere in UK?

Sprinkler is better as we can leave it and carry on with other work while it soaks and removes salt slowly. Got one sprinkler last week.

Hi Shayne
looking at the link to the lance you put up the valve in the middle is marked 1/4 . That looks like the 1/4 inch BSP valves we used at work( British standard pipe thread) if that's any help to you at all.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have an L shaped lance, blowed if i can remember where i bought it from.

This sort of thing you are after Raj? Husqvarna Pressure Washer Angled Spray Lance - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

If you want a pipe you can feed in, look for drain cleaning jets, but make sure you have high enough water flow rate and adjustable pressure on your washer, these things are fierce, i used one with my pressure washer to clear our drains and it shifted large chunks of limescale as it travelled along, would remove any remaining paint on the insides of a chassis with high enough pressure.

As someone who spends a lot of time working on crusty old vehicles may I suggest an alternative.....

Don't wash the underneath of the vehicle ...... regularly coat and soak resulting build up in any oil , diesel type substance available and just leave..... seems to work on all the old things I have to fix.... you steam off years of crud and crap from a rusty machine and the paint and metal under the decades old oil leak is perfect..... ;-)

Grimbo Krown is that oil type substance I got on underside. I am not working on bank holiday so if I get time, I ll take a video of Underside to see how Krown is holding up after 6 months.
Instead of once every 2 years as suggested, I ll get a Krown coat every year. Hopefully it ll work

I visited Krown knowing i wouldn't get around to making the underside pretty any time soon , and I still haven't 2 years on . But i will and once i have will return to Krown anyway because it gets places i could never hope to and it will heal/seal any future stone chips in the finish .

Reactions: Raj
Shayne "Hence lamedrovers don't rust , most of the oil is on the outside :lol:"

Truly shocked how many I see that are crumbling away around the normal oil leaks.... it's as though JLR build them with pre rusted steel...and this isn't old Series Landys ( I look after a couple for customers ) this is last few years of production Puma engine Defenders and Disco 3's and 4's .

Toyota it seems may have been looking to JLR for inspiration with the later Landcruisers..... ;-)

Only answer to rust is to keep oxygen away from the steel.... however you choose to do it....

Shayne, you got a set of thread guages ? A cheap invaluable tool for all those odd nuts and bolts that we all need to confirm thread and pair up at sometime.

I bought 2 thread gauges over the years and lost them both after one use :confusion-shrug:

Both are probably some place safe where i won't lose them = buried in a shed too small .

When salt gets under your protection

For the likes of the inside of the chassis box sections, particularly at the rear with the bumper removed, I tied a pry bar to a long stick and shoved it up and down to knock off and pull out any flaky rust. I'm just wondering, as it's impossible to clean up there with a wire brush would just spraying old used engine oil up there be effective even if you couldn't clean it properly? Will it soak through the dry dirt / rust / clay or whatever is up there and protect the steel?

Anything is better than nothing , but if you can get oil in the then you can get Dychem super limate in there as well , stuffs a liquid wire brush similar to brick acid cleaner only its chlorine based so it can be washed away with water .

It’s been about 6 months since I got car treated with Krown so thought of getting a second coat and looked under the car to see if it worked.
Attached are two images. The screenshot form videos taken at Krown centre before treatment and other are todays pic of same after 6 months of Krown.
You all are better judges.

Attachments

• 38C3EE7E-5FF2-4EBC-99C8-A73030D63DE2.jpeg
    38C3EE7E-5FF2-4EBC-99C8-A73030D63DE2.jpeg
    377.5 KB · Views: 66
  • A13FDFA6-460C-420F-A264-47A69593193E.png
    A13FDFA6-460C-420F-A264-47A69593193E.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
  • 8F6C8D00-9D8C-494E-944B-6CF803119D50.jpeg
    8F6C8D00-9D8C-494E-944B-6CF803119D50.jpeg
    316.9 KB · Views: 67
  • F5D1FD58-67D1-4C80-AB40-2079F115108F.png