Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rusty Rear cross member

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
I was under my daughters 2001, 100 series earlier today, and there is quite a bit of corrosion on the rear cross member, and about the last 15 inches of the side chassis rails.

As she plans on towing a double horse box, I feel this cross member needs replacing, or strengthening.

How to go about it ?

Replace, or bolster it up ?

Graham

No point in welding to rust so cut that away and see what your left with .

Thanks Shayne,
Can rear cross members still be had ?
Or all second hand now ?
How about the last 15 inches or so of the side chassis's ?
Cut from a donor ?

Try your luck at a breakers i suppose cut and shut would be a lot easier than faffing about fabricating bumper hangers or whatever , then brace it and you end up with stronger than new .

Is it really that bad Gra?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
First things first Graham, get the rear bumper and spare wheel out of the way so you can have a proper look!
Once you’ve got over the sorry state of the rear bumper support you’ll have a far better idea of how bad the corrosion is.
Shayne has suggested sourcing from a breaker but unless you can find a late one you could well find a donor is just a bad!
If the cross member does warrant replacement you may find OE is still available but I would imagine a fabricated replacement will be cheaper. There’s plenty of meat in the chassis rails so if they’re only suffering from surface corrosion they should stand cleaning up prior to any welding.

Subject to precise conf of course, Toyo says this......

Screenshot 2021-06-09 at 22.06.52.jpg

Hi Chris.
Want to take a peek?
Your not too far away.
I could drive it over.

Tha
First things first Graham, get the rear bumper and spare wheel out of the way so you can have a proper look!
Once you’ve got over the sorry state of the rear bumper support you’ll have a far better idea of how bad the corrosion is.
Shayne has suggested sourcing from a breaker but unless you can find a late one you could well find a donor is just a bad!
If the cross member does warrant replacement you may find OE is still available but I would imagine a fabricated replacement will be cheaper. There’s plenty of meat in the chassis rails so if they’re only suffering from surface corrosion they should stand cleaning up prior to any welding.
Thanks Geoff

Always good to see you. Happy to have a look, a chip and a bash.

Back