Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Saturday 18th December laning in Wales

I am a possible but can only confirm much closer to the time - parents arriving from SA to visit the next day, kids and parties and all that... :violin: And I want to do the "newbies" run to the Plain on the 11th, so I could be low on brownie points :shifty:

C'mon Andy, shake a leg & get yourself along on the mishun!!! :cool:

Are we camping again mr gav? Have you orderd them heaters?
Think they are better than mine to be honest.smaller and lower watt.
karl

I wish I was Kay Dubbleyuh... :( Can only do the Saturday mishun this time as we have a family day out in the diary for Sunday with my folks... If I bail on that, I will be having a cold & lonely Christmas :lol:

I haven't ordered them yet but will be doing so - I'm gonna get a couple for me workshop too :thumbup:

Gonna have to miss this one due to Family commitments. :cry: ..Could of given my new bits and pieces a good run out,cv all done and she's all back to norm again..Gonna be very very cold for wild camping if weather stays like this boys so make sure you have your thermals on :)

Hope to do it all again in the new year though

cheers Gary

if this is being run as 2 groups, is there room for my mate in his hi-lux? :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
ben said:
if this is being run as 2 groups, is there room for my mate in his hi-lux? :)
Ok, that bumps you into group two Ben, if we're letting hilux's come then there's no need for me and Ray to double up :mrgreen:

When we went on the last one with jon warren it was fine. Nice drive, few water crossings. Nothing at all damaging. Just have to take your time. I dont know the routes but i have been wanting to do happy valley for ages so really lookig forward to it. :dance:

Found the first last trip looks to be not for a std LC and a good chance of loosing a front or rear bumper.

If you're looking at the "Bombhole" at Strata, there is a route round it. I'm sure the guys will give you an honest appraisal of your chances of damage. I doubt you're at risk of more than a rock touching underneath or maybe a puncture.
But take the word of the experts - they won't want to see you spoil your shiny new truck if you specifically asked about the route in advance.

Cheers,

I did Happy Valley in Tonka, our standard Colorado, with minimal damage to side steps. You won't lose bumpers on it...

Is Strata on the route for 18th Jon? The waterfall is easily avoided. But its very good fun to go up :cool:

If you saw my truck mate ive got bits hanging off it everywhere at the min. Nd the bumper is a old one i chucked on as i sold my good bumper.Think the only damage on the last trip was garry in his 80 that seemed to be lowerd :lol: not anymore due to his two inch lift :thumbup:
He lost a front and rear mudflap and that was it. Ive lost those on a public road.
As andrew said nobody wants to see anyones truck damaged apart from the other lads with me and veggie mux :snooty:
If there is anywhere where damage cood take place we would stop and talk you over it slowly as we normally do.
As everything though. There is always a chance somei=thing could happen,so if you really are concerned maybe give it a miss.
It would be a shame not to go tho as it is great fun and a loverly drive.
karl

I don’t mind the odd mud flap or current running boards as they will get replaced. In the long run I plan on doing the front and rear bumpers but for the moment would not mind hanging on to them.

You have now got me thinking....that is if there is space.

Reason being is that I need to get to see Jon as he has my spare alloy that I need to have fitted to my spare tyre and until then am bound to the road tyres. It’s looking unlikely that I will get to him for this weekend which means that it’s unlikely I will make the Salisbury plain day as it’s not fair on others to go out unprepared with out a spare wheel.

So...

I could come to the Wales weekend and kill 2 birds with one stone... :think:

I personally think you would be very unlucky to kill a front or rear bumper to be honest.
Theres alot doing that on the roads at the min warren with this weather.
Await jons reply :thumbup:

there's nothing 'extreme' about the route warren. There's one slightly tighter lane that can rub a bit of overgrowth on your paintwork but there's an easy bypass on tarmac which I'll recommend to anyone with a tall rack or roof tent anyway. What everyone calls Happy Valley (that isn't actually in Happy Valley :roll: ) has one or two places where a wide, long wheel base truck like your 100 will more than likely rub the side step and rear tyre on a smooth rock so you might bend the step a bit. I can't guarentee you won't collect any extra damage due to unforseen loose nut factors :)

can i ask what lanes were doing and in which direction please?

ive done strata and happy valley before, but not much in between.

there is a lane that ive heard is very good, about 3 miles east of the eastern end of happy valley. its marked as a UCR and goes through a forest.
:thumbup:

I know a couple of the lanes at the southern end of Happy Valley that are great but I'm sure Jon has them planned in ;)

ben said:
can i ask what lanes were doing and in which direction please?

ive done strata and happy valley before, but not much in between.

there is a lane that ive heard is very good, about 3 miles east of the eastern end of happy valley. its marked as a UCR and goes through a forest.
:thumbup:

The route is only in my head at the moment ben but I'll have to commit it to a map before the 18th so the other group know where they're going :) Last I heard, the lane you're talking about was closed (temp TRO'd), but I wouldn't take this much traffic along it anyway. It's not extreme but it's soft in places and 10 trucks in wet conditions wouldn't be good.

Strata isn't on my route, you need to be staying further south really. We'll likely start at the visitors centre a few k's west of Ponterwyd at 9am (SN 71805 81324), work our way up past nant-y-moch, do Happy Valley and co. then head south east again for another lane finishing at the previous route's RV point which is the view point at SN 83535 95958. The 2nd group can either run the route in the other direction, or do a delayed start, up to that group.

Splendid, splendid :clap: All starting to come together now :dance:

I'm going to ask my 14-year-old nephew if he wants to come along - dunno how he'll cope with a 06:00 hrs reveille!!! I might have to get him a pair of wellies for all those gates he'll be closing too!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:shhh: No-one mention them to him... :whistle:

Back