Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Seeking forgiveness from the collective/ I just couldn't help it.

AndycruiserguyLomas

Supporter
Guru
Country Flag
england
This landed at Lomas Towers today. Been stood a couple of years but inside and on a cetek . No MOT but a perfect history. Bought from a friend very very cheap.

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG
IMG_0300.JPG

Everything works and up to the previous owner was 1 company owner with full VW history. Goes like something else and does it easy. Was £68K in 2005 , plenty of money.

Underneath is superb, I don't know how they do it, just 80K miles.

There is a downside though, it has a slight intermittent electrical gremlin which hasn't manifested itself so far.

Its a chancer/ gamble if it can be sorted cheaply/ reasonably. The market for these is very slow.

Thats why it cost less than a grand.

Wish me luck.

Nice one Andy, I've always like those.

Mind you, don't put that on a grassy bank, you won't get off it

Good luck. What's the intermittent fault? Might be worth doing a full scan with vcds to see what's registered if you know anyone with one more local.

I have got a very good mobile diagnostics guy coming to check it out shortly. He's done good work before for us and is well regarded, he undertakes electrical repairs himself. The fault is that very occasionally it can drop onto five cylinders ( one bank) for a second or two before recovering. This hasn't done it with me yet.
I can stand paying for diagnostic/ repair as it was very cheap. If it works out it will be a lot of car for not much. if it doesn't I'm not going to loose £10K am I?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The (engine) spec on these is mouth watering but I've always been put off by potential electrical gremlins, much the same as many modern premium spec cars. At less than £1k though it's got to be worth a punt. In a worse case scenario I reckon you could get that back, or close to it, in parts if you broke it.

Very nice Andy they are something else to drive with the v10

Good luck with it Andy, Looks a cracking Motor, I was going to mention the Electrical gremlins, But you and everyone else beat me to it.... 30 yrs ago you would bet your life on the reliability of a VW..... Hope its an easy Fix :thumbup:

Sorry no forgiveness here.... somebody chuck him off.....

My mate had one a few years back. Loved it when it was running ok but electrical gremlins pushed him to get rid. Hopefully it's an easy fix. Should be your normally a jammy bugger......

I didn't read it all Andy, I started getting a Headache, Too much Information, and things like VCDS.... I dont know what that is :confusion-shrug:

Mate of mine had the V10 for a while - lovely car, but he had a few electrical issues, then the autobox had a terminal issue and he got rid.

That said, for the money you've paid Andy, it's definitely worth a punt! Have fun :)

It would do the mrs to drive back and forth to work if you fixed it but alas i just put new tyres on her 90 so a swap is out of the question .

Only ribbing Andy , it would be a spoiling experience to drive i'm sure , like the Hummer ......... its just not possible how that thing goes ....... but reality bites .

Somebody somewhere might be daft enough to swap it for a 200 they don't know how to fix if you can make it good so theres a goal worth aiming for .

Gloriously bonkers era for VW. I'll come over and do the straight mile at Brampton when it's all sorted if you don't mind.

and do the straight mile at Brampton
Ha Jacob, been down the Brampton Straight Mile a time or two several decades ago in various contraptions. Fastest was about 125 in an XJS. It seems bumpier now than back then.
I might just beat that in the ToeRag.

Update on this evil beast. Two so called " VW guru's" had a go and failed. A young lad came yesterday and seemed to fix it in 10 mins for £70.
Done about 50 miles and can't get it to fault. If it seems ok by thursday I'll tax it and smoke it round for the winter thus saving Cruisers getting " Salt time ".

Time will tell.

Result .....
And strangely yesterday one passed us while out walking the dogs and a said to the Mrs that "one of those would be a good replacement for your Merc estate "
He reply ? "Not sure I want to drive a VW "
You can't help some people... ;-)
As for the underside...... VW in that era understood rust proofing , ....... Toyota never have

. VW in that era understood rust proofing , ....... Toyota never have
Very true. I wish my 100 was as good. That said my 80 24V auto is just about as good, it's strange how some survive better than others.

This one is just the right one to have, cheap as its pre face lift, cheap tax as its pre march 06 and pre DPF so a whole lot less problematic.

Back