Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Shock upgrade

Stewart

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
Hi all, I am after upgrading my shocks on my 120. Just keeping standard height and don't really tow anything.
What are people using and what peoples thoughts on bilstein?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Recently fitted EFS to my Hilux and they seem good
Used OLd Man Emu before that and they didn’t the job well too

I have EFS on my 78 and 80 like them and will buy again for sure

Thanks, been looking at the Efs, is it the Elite you are using?

Yes Elite front struts, with EFS springs, I got ones to give a lift

At standard height might Koni be worth a look ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Stewart, whats the reason for "upgrading"? I've a 120 and fitted new dampers when I got it. Toyota on the rear and Bilstein on the front as they were well cheaper than the OEM ones. Well happy with the ride quality.
I've used Bilstiens on 60's before to good effect and quire rate them.

Hi Stewart, whats the reason for "upgrading"? I've a 120 and fitted new dampers when I got it. Toyota on the rear and Bilstein on the front as they were well cheaper than the OEM ones. Well happy with the ride quality.
I am replacing the rears at the moment think they are a bit tired it seems to wallow more than the front.

Mine had done 130 k and definitely looked original, that said when I checked them after removal they had plenty of resistance. It rode well before I changed them but rides really well now ( for the past 15K ). It doesn't tow and is rarely loaded with more than 2 of us in.

Whats the mileage on yours?

Mine had done 130 k and definitely looked original, that said when I checked them after removal they had plenty of resistance. It rode well before I changed them but rides really well now ( for the past 15K ). It doesn't tow and is rarely loaded with more than 2 of us in.

Whats the mileage on yours?
It has 129k and they look original but i think it might have done some towing in the past.

When you are not going OE, what do you do with all the TEMS and ECU and all that jazz ? I guess de-bag too?

Hi, it is just normal springs and shocks no air bags.

Greetings. I’m new on here having just bought a120 LC4. 85k but think it has done some towing. Have been thinking the shock absorbers might need changing. Am also wondering whether it’s worth changing the front springs at same time given they have to come off for the shocks. So, Stewart, let me know what you do inc price. I’m reasonably mechanically able but at 67 some heavy lifting getting a bit much for me! So I may get a local garage to put them on for me. How much of a mission is changing the front?

Hi, welcome. I am currently waiting on a price for Koni heavy track rear shocks. I am keeping the standard height.
I will keep you informed.
Thanks

Gresty. I want to keep standard height too. I have a set of those links on my Sorinter campervan. They have been on a few years now but have deteriorated more than I would have expected over that time/mileage. So I had also wondered about the Bilstein B4?

@ Adrianlle its worth paying a few quid extra if you can find "assembled" unless you have the tools , i thought i'd just pop down a garage with the bits so they could pop it into their spring compressor , a 2 minute job - if it fit which it didn't so i ended up doing it at home with a cheap hook and bolt compressor and added 3 years worth of chips in the paint while doing it :doh:

So just ordered two Koni heavy track rear shocks, so I will have to see what they are like.

I had a set of Koni's on my 1st 80. They gave a very firm ride on the softest setting, changed back to OEM and peace was restored, just saying.

Thanks for the help. Am I right in thinking oem are Bilstein B4? Also am I right in assuming springs - front and rear- are unlikely to need changing at 85k miles or is it sensible to change them while the shocks are off anyway?

Very unlikely unless its been an extensive tow rig. Still recommend OEM for rears and they're not dear ( fronts are though).

Back