Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sopping wet passenger side footwell

Just posting this here mainly because I quite like the name: Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure. Contrary to what an active imagination might conclude, it’s a thin water based liquid sealant, mainly used on boats and caravans etc.. I have had a bit of success with it in the past on a leaky windscreen, but not as much of a cure all as other sealants might be.

Last edited:
I actually have a tube of that. I used some the other day and have no idea what it did. It's sold in caravan shops for cracks and splits. I've been squeezing it (well pouring it) into a cracked seam on the trailer. It's very thin like milk. Does it work?

I think the theory is to pour some in where the leak is, wait a bit, pour a bit more in, and so on until it’s built up enough to stop it running out over everything (wipe off sticky marks quick with a wet rag and water to stop staining). After about 4 or 5 goes, it did seem to do the trick. It’s hard to get it where it should be from the bottle without it running everywhere, I used a disposable pipette which seemed to work reasonably well. Not too sure how flexible it would be when set, did seem to last for the 3 months or so that I had the car for though.

I had a leak in the footwell but mine was sunroof related which I finally fixed.
I do have some little rust spots on FR and RR windscreens so at some stage I'll need to take the glass out and de-rust/paint and put back in again

I cured my leaking screen with WD 40 squirted round rubber seal. It capilarises in the crack wherever that might be, stays there, and due to the surface tension of water the water can't capilarise afterwards. I guess best done after a long hot few days so the water in the crack is gone as much as possible.

If the surface of the rubber and glass is unwetable the water can't get down the crack and into the car. Oil would just as well.

Crack sealer = dilute UPVA. It's water soluble and presumably hardens after water in it has evaporated but shrinks.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've always wondered where that infamous rust point is TP. Is that accessible / visible without taking the wing off? Just trying to picture it.

It's actually the bulkhead mounting point for the inner wing/mudshield. The underside of the mount is readily visible from underneath the vehicle but the top bit which rusts is partly obscured by the sound deadening insulation on the inner wings. The mounting point forms a V which can hold water. Mine are OK but I still sprayed them with some water dispersant corrosion inhibitor.

Think I have seen the two bolt heads that screw into the two threaded holes in the picture. Hmm, yes, hard to get to with the wing in place.

I think those used to rot from the inside because they were mounted upside down with the drain holes at the top. I've checked mine and drain holes are at the bottom against the bulkhead.

Can't help on that Gary as mine has chrome trim in it. Ba574ard stuff!

Is it coming in between the glass and the rubber?

Is it coming in between the glass and the rubber?

Yes, I would say so and it's getting worse. Today for the first time I can actually see water on the rubber inside at that corner.

My thinking on the new rubber is that I think the screen and rubber are 19 years old. The rubber has probably hardened over the years and if it leaked after I get a job done on it I will kick myself for not putting a new rubber in.

A leak of water into the interior is such an irritating problem that I want to fix it in one....

Yes, I would say so and it's getting worse. Today for the first time I can actually see water on the rubber inside at that corner.

My thinking on the new rubber is that I think the screen and rubber are 19 years old. The rubber has probably hardened over the years and if it leaked after I get a job done on it I will kick myself for not putting a new rubber in.

A leak of water into the interior is such an irritating problem that I want to fix it in one....
That's where mine was leaking. Well, one of the places.

It amazes me how supple the rubbers are for the rear windows that the gullwings go in. You may be surprised but I think if it were mine I too would be ordering a new rubber to be on the safe side.

Just want to share that the FSM says you have to apply sealant between rubber and body and between rubber and glas. Toyota used just a small amount of sealant and in time it will dry out. I have an original Toyota windsceen and if you pull the rubber up you can see that there once was something :)
And now in some places there is dried out sealant and in others not any more. So that will cause leaks.
I have a small crack in the windshield so I just sealed it again with the windscreen in place. Tape off (masking tape) glas, and body and then apply with small tube when lifting the rubber a bit. Works good. I have a new rubber ready for if my windscreen decides to crack completely, but for now the crack is 10cm high in the middle, starting at the bottom and has been like that for more than a year...

FSM (factory service manual):

7s8vZxxsOwhqwCFSa4eUm6OwTkHxW9Iq0kmhbllXnyVYMNTVXpq7Z0jaaMaHCPdOP3D-TS3UI78yNAcbIow=w311-h441-no.jpg
4jWeZEhKJBi0Pbi50ngzQbrkEVAQlDwnUcOOtc9A2fIgSGX6jSI0VRS0zkAPDAWySnXBa36gLA1mijXzins=w311-h441-no.jpg
-Esw8w1s54WTjbYkuj1EcGpOUSZZm-2wqRbvI2uCVSCzuGSM05jJO3op1Nzxl6l3GA9aaD2Zy0GJ5_-cX2Q=w308-h441-no.jpg
chHHU8i_afGTClrZK6jN9XZNu-vOwc4vTLyxgMm9vOUUIAQEPgih2BnxUmblAMFqYcivJkx_ECrb5UQM0mE=w309-h441-no.jpg
JLCI08bbQZ-lZR-9tuSkWX4EzYDTHHZBYHy3xyBvf-uUpcBVxlkFY3DCvjq10Rcxy3aCsGth9e87J6xnDRg=w311-h441-no.jpg

Exactly what I found when my original screen was removed. It never leaked for I think 16 years or more.

Not going with the no rain here joke, especially if Shane is reading :D but, I had the leaking screen in the car wash a few years back.

I asked a local repair shop to remove and fit a new seal. This they did and it leaked like a leaky thing! So he used a sealant that was in a large tube that was pumped out with a battery powered motor. After cleaning everything up he said it would not leak, he was right but, the racket the screen (or rather the rubber) made when the weather was cool and going over any bump was soul destroying!! I took it back and he replaced the rubber with an OE version, he also had a catalogue of which vehicles must have sealer, the 80 was in there and he duly sealed it up and this is where the problems begin. Without doubt Toyota (and this guys catalogue) call for sealant but it is the TYPE of sealant that is the issue. My screen was perfect for the summer months after this second attempt and even when it got a little cooler however, as soon as I was staying up the mountains for awhile any movement of the car was met with the creaking and squeaking and drove me nuts. Further investigation turns up that he was using the same sealant used to GLUE screens in, i.e. modern cars that use the screen to increase the rigidity of the shell so it sets like concrete! The 80 flexes and pulls at the glued rubber that should have some movement or flexibility to prevent it making the various noises. I then recalled years ago a windscreen fitter putting a new screen in my Series 3 Jag, he called it 'caulking', it was like mastic but was matt black and had a powdery appearance, it does not set hard and I recall him saying it stops the screens 'leaking and squeaking'.

So I will get around to another OE seal and locate some 'caulking', and try again.

regards

Dave

Butyl screen sealer from EBay Dave but don't tell Chris I told you about it ok! :)

Back