Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Spare size?

Mblinko

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hi

I'm going to be getting new tyres very soon and was wondering if anyone knows if there a maximum size that will fit in the standard carrier under the car?

Get a twin mount rear swing our carrier / bumper - same place as the front bumper! see here

Get a twin mount rear swing our carrier / bumper - same place as the front bumper! see here

yes, thought of that but can't be faffed with swinging everything out the way just get in the back plus I want to keep the weight down as much as I can (front bumper excepted of course :icon-biggrin:) and I've already got a frontrunner twin jerry can holder for the roof.

Are you planning to fit something well out of standard range? I fitted a 33" under there with no problems so anything in the 285.75 sort of size will fit. I did get one of my 35" 315 under there but at a sort of angle until I got the carrier built. It really didn't fit and was very low but for a week it didn't matter.

That's a 255/85r16 (33) underneath. Fits perfectly
20131026_215447.jpg
[/URL]

It's a bad picture as looks to hang down low but it doesnt

This one is a bit better can see the spare.

20140210_153455.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
I confirm 33" will fit, wider tyres though will hang down lower, such as 305/70/16s.

It depends on what you (don't) want, bottoming out on more extreme offroading, or the faff of swinging a spare away to open the rear tailgate.

Trust me, a well made swing-out is not a faff at all, its a click of a lever. The ARB has a gas strut that opens it for you (on level ground) after the click.

Admittedly you have to slam it closed when you've finished :whistle:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Great advice guys, thank you. Now you've got me sitting on the fence :think:

"Now you've got me sitting on the fence :eusa-think: "....... at the top of a very steep and slippery slope :lol:

Back