Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Squealing exhaust rubber mount

Mick W

Country Flag
great_britain
Replaced the rear exhaust on my Collie and everything had working fine.....except that I have a nasty squeal from the rubber mount at the mid section when the engine is idling. All the rubbers were replaced with new and if I hold the exhaust mount the squeal stops. I've sprayed with GT85 which works for about 2 mins then it gradually starts squealing again. Any ideas what to try?

Attachments

• 20200727_183209.jpg
    20200727_183209.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 26
It’s probably the exhaust joint which is squealing?
I had that on my 95
Garage replaced the bolts and springs with new and new big donught gasket inside the joint
After I failed to fix it.
The bolts can Be tricky to fit too, they have to be lined up with holes perfectly, so a stepped part goes through the hole and not catch on edge. Needs to be flex in that joint.
Hard to explain in words .

I did fit a new doughnut gasket but used the original springs and bolts. For about two weeks it was fine. Soon as it heats up the squeal starts.

Could be then springs snd bolts need replacing then

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Have ordered new bolts from Roughtrax but will try to tighten the existing ones when hot first cheers @Shayne

New donut and fixings and all is nice and quiet now on the Collie. Nice easy fix, if only they were all that simple. Thanks all and stay safe.

Attachments

• 20200730_125840.jpg
    20200730_125840.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200730_130017.jpg
    20200730_130017.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 19
Good news, and hope it stays quiet.
I wonder if the springs become slack and cause the issue

Didn't take a picture but put the new and old fixings side by side and the old springs were about 5mm shorter.

I have the same problem. Changed the bolts and springs but couldn't get the doughnut out of the cat pipe. Any tips please?

Not seen a hanger/ mount like that before with springs - is that a diesel (only) thing.

My exhaust was replaced nearly 15 years ago with a stainless system but I don't recall seeing a hanger like that on the OEM system.

I have the same problem. Changed the bolts and springs but couldn't get the doughnut out of the cat pipe. Any tips please?
Elbow grease and patience. Finally came out and replaced.

Not seen a hanger/ mount like that before with springs - is that a diesel (only) thing.

My exhaust was replaced nearly 15 years ago with a stainless system but I don't recall seeing a hanger like that on the OEM system.
Mine is a diesel so could just be standard on that fuel type version.

Back