And a man with a shiny pen:-
i-tstcbsZ-L.jpg

Smoke a few tabs:-
i-qJdXZkM-L.jpg

And a bit more shining and gluing:-
i-zwPnj5v-XL.jpg

Voilà, a ladder to the stars.... well not quite but you get the idea:-
i-xMdJXg6-XL.jpg

The photo doesn't do it justice really. it is narrower than the arches so will hopefully not entrap any small children who stand too close the edge of the pavement :thumbup:

Oooooh Tiggy Wig on the Ally. We like that that don't we Boys and Girls. I can see why you've been quiet recently. That's proper 'andsome that it.

Might whistle a little. :whistle: as you cruise along.

Chris

Dead smart! How does it fix to top of the side door? Can you put up a pic showing that detail please?

Can the door hinges handle the weight of people climbing up and down all the time?

Looks good though!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

....Might whistle a little. :whistle: as you cruise along.
Tried, tested and whistle free.

Dead smart! How does it fix to top of the side door? Can you put up a pic showing that detail please?
A combination of 'U' section and flat bar, will sort a photo tomorrow.

Can the door hinges handle the weight of people climbing up and down all the time?
What are you suggesting, I'm only 80kg :icon-biggrin: With the door open, questionable. With the door closed then I would say yes :thumbup:

Looks great, but doesn't the attachment at the top of the door compromise your door seal? I assume in order to close the door, the hinge would be forced ever so slightly downwards, as the gap tolerance between top of door frame and roof is pretty tight... No?

Also is the ladder through bolted to the door or does it just hang there?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Door seal not compromised in any way. Yes a very close tolerance but but it's not an 'interference' fit.

6 M8 A2 stainless bolts through the door to hold the ladder securly in place.

Last edited:
:icon-cry: Want one for my back LHS barn door to get up onto the roof rack. That would do the trick nicely! Nice job that! :clap:

How does it fix to top of the side door?

Looks great, but doesn't the attachment at the top of the door compromise your door seal? I assume in order to close the door, the hinge would be forced ever so slightly downwards, as the gap tolerance between top of door frame and roof is pretty tight... No?

We used some 3/8" aluminium channel 1/16" thick that was welded to some aluminium flat bar 40mm x 6mm at a precise angle to get the clearance right:-
i-fH3DvsP-L.jpg

There is a 2mm gap between the 'U' channel and the bottom of the roof gutter:-
i-89W8SdV-L.jpg

The 'U' channel sits behind the door seal so does not effect its function. The ends of this top section were bonded onto the door frame to eliminate any rattling/vibrations etc
i-ctBKHdJ-L.jpg

It is the 6 M8 coach bolts that are taking the weight when climbing up the ladder.

Nice but you need to change your A2 bolts for A4, A2 are not marine grade and will rust in about 2 years I know from experience. Easy to get at screw fix.

Back