Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Steering rack

cavanmick

Country Flag
ireland
Evening lads and ladies,just fitted a second hand rack to my 95 and I'm having trouble getting all the air out of the system, just wondering is there any trick to doing it.cheers

Mick

i thought the method was
with engine running you had to turn the steering side to side with powersteering fluid cap off (?), but not going to full lock

Last edited:
With the wheels off the ground, I think Andy.

C

Ok so an update, I've bled it as best I can, driven it and opened the main feed pipe at the pump and still only getting part assistance, feels like its air in it somewhere but I can't seem to get it bled, any new ideas folks.?

Mick

It took me a good 20 minutes to bleed mine when I replaced the Rad. I did it by leaving the steering fluid cap off, engine on and turning steering wheel left and right for a good 15 minutes. It wasn't 100% but after some driving about it was fine.

Not sure if its relevant but when i did my body lift my steering became very heavy until Chris suggested i adjust the sliding collar just above the steering spacer .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well that would certainly make the steering feel heavier if it wasn't adjusted correctly. It depends on that all being set correctly. If that wasn't touched at all when replacing the rack then probably not, but I think that getting the rack off does mean that you have to split the joint at the actuator at least if not the rag joint.

It's an idea Shayne. Hey, your getting it!

Still pretty sure the wheels have to be off the ground though when you bleed it. There is nothing more to bleeding it. That IS the procedure. The air will rise up the pipes into the reservoir.

Thanks lads, I will try those bits in the morning, I had the joint disconnected to change the rack alright,mine already has a spacer fitted for the bodylift so all I did was slide it back up the shaft and remove the rack then slide it back down when I refitted it.

Mick

Worth slackening it and going lock to lock to see if it's binding at all. It shouldn't be having done what you have done, but it's worth eliminating. And interesting that it has a spacer fitted. Why did the rack need changing?

Hello lads and ladies,
I spent most of the morning yesterday bleeding the system again and checking the pump was operating correctly,pipes not kinked etc.i still could not find the reason for the poor assistance so I bit the bullet and asked the bloke I bought the rack off to get me another one.
Fitted the second one this morning and all is now working perfectly.
The original one had wear in the rack itself they could not be adjusted out(220k miles on it) so now it's is nice and tight and driving well.
Also the spacer I mentioned on the steering shaft joint is to extend the hint itself to take into account the 2" bodylift.
Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Mick

Back