Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Stolen Landcruiser Help

Totally sickened to the pit of my stomach to see this. Having had my Shogun stolen I know the sickening feeling that goes with a vehicle theft. I can only guess at the far worse feeling on seeing that it has been dumped and burned out. Hanging's too good for 'em.

Moving on, for poor Will will be the trauma of dealing with the insurers, then, hopefully another 80 to fill the gap.

Dervis, I think Will should be invited to join up here so that he can benefit from the club and hopefully get himself another cruiser and get his cruiser grin back eventually.

I'm off to look into trackers. I already have a Thatcham approved professionally fitted Cobra alarm immobiliser.

Yes your right there Richard I've forwarded him our support and hopefully after he mourns the loss and pick himself up again we can better assist him. I can't imagine how terrible this would feel. A total stab in the heart to say the least!!

As for trackers Charis here in Cyprus pre-warmed of targeted 80's being stolen some time ago and fitted a tracker so in light of this it seems its the way to go for all of us unfortunately.

Bloody Arsewipes, Rich your right, hanging is to good for them, (don't believe in Capital Punishment anyway)but 24 strokes of the Birch, followed by a holiday at Her Majesties Pleasure for a goodly while, and doing work in the community.
Not that it's ever likely to happen, as when they appear before The Beak it will be "they had a poor start in life, so we must send them on a holiday to somewhere exotic for a month, to make them better people"

Looking at that picture of it burnt out makes me feel sick to the pit of my stomach, god only knows how the owner feels, hangings too good for the scumbags.

Thanks everyone for your kind words - its our first experience of feeling car bereaved, we were really attached to our 80 - it sounds a bit odd but it really was a much loved part of the family. My wife went from saying why the hell have you bought that thing to thinking it was her own and driving it at every opportunity. I'll never get the money spent on it back and have a tussle ahead with the insurers. The thieves may have got the mother of all surprises when 80 litres of LPG went up, Im hoping a singed eye brow or two at the very least.....how anyone could torch a really lovely 80 is beyond me, not least one with 3 baby seats in and a pram. its very baffling, we live in the middle of nowhere and have security lights in the yard so you would think its not an obvious opportunistic joy ride crime (it happened between midnight and 6). I'll be looking for another petrol LC, I'd love another 80 but know getting a reasonable one might take some time (it took a good six months to find that one).

Massive slightly too late lesson about protecting better the things you love - 'the spirit of the stairs' as they say in France.

Dare I ask, would anyone recommend a 100? I love the shape and style of the 80 but perhaps might need to open up my options.

cheers all

Will

I cant imagine how I’d feel if it were my truck, gutted wouldn’t come close.

As we all know, its not just the truck loss, its all the work and effort getting it how you want it, and by doing so, it becomes like part of the family.

I’ve always been a soft touch with vehicles, they’ve always done their time with me, and all but one new one, they were all past their scrap-by date when I got my hands on them. But most of them were with me for 3-5 years, the 80 being the longest at 11 years now, so to say I’m attached to mine would be a massive understatement.

A crash would be bad enough, but this sensless distruction for nothing is, as said, sickening.

If prison isn’t on the punish list, then I do think compulsory army style workshop-duty working with other enthusiasts might just hammer some sense of value into these pieces of shit that dont give a f**k for anything.

Chin-up Will, take your time and find yourself a good replacement, easy to say I know, but after a few months it will “become” yours, as was the last one.

"it sounds a bit odd but it really was a much loved part of the family"
Not odd at all, myself and most on this forum feel the same. Its not just the vehicle its self but the memories its helped to create.

personally, i prefere a 80 to a 100. Now you've put the can opener on the can and just started to turn the wheel..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry to hear the news & i do know what it's like, i had my car stolen while i left it parked in a car park years ago, got it back but it was trashed.
Trackers are all very good but the point is it's all ready been stolen when the need for the tracker to be used , surely an engine isolator would be better or an inline fuel switch so that the car would only travel a few yards before running out of fuel.

Thanks everyone for your kind words - its our first experience of feeling car bereaved, we were really attached to our 80 - it sounds a bit odd but it really was a much loved part of the family. My wife went from saying why the hell have you bought that thing to thinking it was her own and driving it at every opportunity. I'll never get the money spent on it back and have a tussle ahead with the insurers. The thieves may have got the mother of all surprises when 80 litres of LPG went up, Im hoping a singed eye brow or two at the very least.....how anyone could torch a really lovely 80 is beyond me, not least one with 3 baby seats in and a pram. its very baffling, we live in the middle of nowhere and have security lights in the yard so you would think its not an obvious opportunistic joy ride crime (it happened between midnight and 6). I'll be looking for another petrol LC, I'd love another 80 but know getting a reasonable one might take some time (it took a good six months to find that one).

Massive slightly too late lesson about protecting better the things you love - 'the spirit of the stairs' as they say in France.

Dare I ask, would anyone recommend a 100? I love the shape and style of the 80 but perhaps might need to open up my options.

cheers all

Will

I’d stay with an 80, but that’s me, I’m sure I wouldn’t be comfortable with something newer and more refined. Theres plenty out there who will disagree with me, and for all the right reasons, but I’m with CG on this one...

Sorry to hear this. What a shame to see a nice cruiser like that.
I think this is the first 80 ive heard of that has actually gone missing in all my cruiser years......

The fact it was taken and found like that is strange to say the least. I can't imagine the 80s are easy to get going without the transponder key.

Sorry to hear this. What a shame to see a nice cruiser like that.
I think this is the first 80 ive heard of that has actually gone missing in all my cruiser years......

The fact it was taken and found like that is strange to say the least. I can't imagine the 80s are easy to get going without the transponder key.

I know nothing about the subject, and my Euro spec doesnt have a transponder, but are petrol versions easier to “hotwire” than diesels?

What ever you do

If you don't have any off roading plans, test drive a V8 100 series. It's leagues ahead of any 80 on the road. I almost jumped ship to the 100 series camp last year after driving one but eventually found I was too attached to my 80, much the same as you were to yours. God forbid, if I lost my 80 for any reason there's be a V8 Hundy on the drive. The 100's do have their issues though, especially the early ones.

I imagine they are a nightmare Clive.
I suppose for a professional it would be easy but why would a pro take it and burn it out? Whatever the reasons.The outcome is that they are scum

What ever you do

If you don't have any off roading plans, test drive a V8 100 series. It's leagues ahead of any 80 on the road. I almost jumped ship to the 100 series camp last year after driving one but eventually found I was too attached to my 80, much the same as you were to yours. God forbid, if I lost my 80 for any reason there's be a V8 Hundy on the drive. The 100's do have their issues though, especially the early ones.

Ditto, especially if you are a petrol head but don't go for one with LPG as head issues can occur. Different ( better) driving experience totally.

That defies all logic. How could they possibly cause such misery to another person? So it must have been just joy riders. Burning it out to destroy all DNA and finger prints. I also had a Shogun stolen Richard. Only 5,000 miles on the clock and I claimed £25,000 from the insurers. now if that had been a bank robbery that would have made news, Insurers said they would send a loss adjuster but they lied. A private detective came instead at 10.00 a.m. one morning. He had already saved the company £9,000 that morning. A claimant had paid some youths to steal his car and burn it just one day before his "new for old" policy ran out. When his version of events told to the detective did not match what he had put on the claim form he confessed.

I know nothing about the subject, and my Euro spec doesnt have a transponder, but are petrol versions easier to “hotwire” than diesels?
pre 95 dont have the transponder. They are as difficult to get going as any 90s car once your in and its not immobilised.

not very..

Just sharing to spread awareness and possibility of recovery for owner William Fugard. Sadly this could be any one of us and thus hopefully can find and return his beloved vehicle. Details written by owner shared as is below.

"Hi all, I hope you dont mind me posting, we had our dark blue Toyota Landcruiser stolen from outside our house near Brimpton in Berkshire on Friday night (Friday 17th November 2017), it was hugely loved, explored, carried loads, fitted all the kids. Its left a gaping hole. we were way too attached to this vehicle. It was a 95" 80 series, 4.5 litre petrol with LPG conversion If anyone sees it anywhere, we would be hugely grateful for any info. Best wishes Will"

View attachment 137092 View attachment 137093 View attachment 137094
Now posted on FaceBook too.

Totally sickened to the pit of my stomach to see this. Having had my Shogun stolen I know the sickening feeling that goes with a vehicle theft. I can only guess at the far worse feeling on seeing that it has been dumped and burned out. Hanging's too good for 'em.

Moving on, for poor Will will be the trauma of dealing with the insurers, then, hopefully another 80 to fill the gap.

Dervis, I think Will should be invited to join up here so that he can benefit from the club and hopefully get himself another cruiser and get his cruiser grin back eventually.

I'm off to look into trackers. I already have a Thatcham approved professionally fitted Cobra alarm immobiliser.
Yep me too Rich, a Thatcham approved alarm plus a tracker fitted by Freedom4x4, our very own Trev, it checks the system remotely every month and if the vehicle gets moved overnight it sends a message to my home phone and my mobile asking is this OK.

...we live in the middle of nowhere and have security lights in the yard so you would think its not an obvious opportunistic joy ride crime (it happened between midnight and 6).

Will

Hey Will,

I recognise some of the locations in the pictures - is one of them outside Elstree School? I used to live in Bucklebury so I know the area well.

I would suspect going on the hunt for something to steal from another property - I was going to suggest looking around Paices Hill area for it, and sent it to a mate who lives Pamber Heath way, and his comment was it was likely to end up with a trailer of ill-gotten gains behind it.

Good luck with the hunt for a replacement!

Welcome Will (and family). It's a real shame this has happened (understatement of the millennium I know) but one good thing has come out of it so far and that is that you are now on this most friendly forum with lots of guys (and gals) from all round the world with bags of help, advice trips, meetings etc.

If you do find a new 80 or hundee that you fancy, and it's remote from you, chances are somebody on here has looked at it or is close enough and willing to do so. So do post it up on here if you need help.

Advice, the insurers will likely offer you a pittance. Don't accept anything less than what you are happy with andvthey will pay- negotiate and do your homework, present evidence. Claim for the car seats and pram, probably on your household insurance? It is like a bereavement. Chances are you won't be thinking straight, so don't accept anything on the spot, ask to think about it.

I did none of the above and got paid very little for my pride and joy.

Last edited:
@Will F that is terrible, terrible news.. I hope those bast****s get what they're due!

I know how attached I am to my 80 and we haven't even had it that long so i can only imagine the loss you and the family are going through.

Back