Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Swivel seals

Compact3

Is there any form of guide regarding the renewing of the swivel seals.? I have a set of Milners and want to reduce the grease that is currently emerging from that area. It does not smell of gear oil.

Cheers John

Replacing the seals is a fag break task. it's stripping out the WHOLE of the front axle assembly that may appear more daunting. If you are going to do the seals, I would plan to refirb the whole thing if you have not already done so. I did mine in bits. Hub, then the CVs then the axles, then the diff then the seals. Man I can strip a front axle quicker than a drill sergeant can strip an M16. But what a faff. Do it ALL at the same time and forget for many thousands more miles. The seals are really at the end of the line. I don't know what you axle is like but chances are there are other bits ready.

Chris

Thanks for the info Gav/Chris. I notice on another site that you can replace these seals without taking anything apart by cutting the seals at the top and refitting. I would like to do it that way if it it is viable as I can do without taking he axle to bits again. Particularly as it will be all outside.

John

Up to you. It's not what I would do. Cold or not.

Are the swivel bearings OK? Have you disconnected the steering arm and turned them?

Chris

If the swivels are leaking then there are almost certainly more issues inside the axle hub. I would do it properly and strip the whole thing. I can now strip and rebuild both side in less than 2-3 hours per side.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the advice Rob. I will do the strip down, it may be that the inner axle seals, although recently fitted by somebody else, may not have been seated properly, both shafts have had speedi sleeves fitted about 5years ago and have been reasonably leak proof for some time, but now the grease with a little gear oil mixed in is coming out in greater amounts than previously. If you want to try and get your strip down time below 2 hours let me know!!!!!

John

John I have heard about speedi sleeves but never seen any. Do you have any pics of this set up? I can do a whole axle in that time and even fit in a Pot Noodle along thee way but then I have had significant practice. At both axles and Pot Noodles.

The Toyota inner seals are the best there is no doubt. The Milner ones have not had good press in the past. But if the axle itself has worn into a groove, it make sealing tricky. You can play about with seating depths on the seal but the axle does move in and out when rotating. I know that you could swap the shafts out, but I wondered about having a set metal sprayed and machined back. Both my sets are worn. They seal, but they are worn.

Chris

Chris said:
if the axle itself has worn into a groove, it make sealing tricky.

I used a speedi sleeve for this problem. It seemed to work fine. Basically a very thin walled cylinder that goes over the end of the shaft and gives the seal a nice new flat surface to work on. They are friction fit, top hat shaped but with the top missing. you use the rim of the hat to hammer the sleeve into place and then tear the rim off. I used a bit of PVC pipe as a drift.

Ian

Chris I have some issues trying to work out why is there always grease in my front diff. Last strip down used speedi sleves both sides, we shall see if this cures the problem...

Compact3 said:
If you want to try and get your strip down time below 2 hours let me know!!!!!
You got any advice? Striping is easy if you have the right tools its just the cleaning out all the grease and putting it all back together that takes most of the 2-3 hours per side...

I think he was offering to let you practice on his Rob to improve your times ;)

Interesting, but I'm not sure that I want my balls wiping that clean. A light smear of grease on them is probably a healthy thing in our climate. In a hot dry climate then rusting isn't an issue, but here in sunny Britain ....

Genuine Mr T ones goes for thousands of miles with no problems. It's the inner axle oil seals that need sorting and there IS an American substitute for those with triple lips. The wiper seals are not, in my opinion, that crucial. Good is enough; for what they do.

Chris

I'd think the Longfields still leave a trace of grease, if I still had an 80 I'd consider them because the OEM don't keep the water out if you spend much time above your axles in it and the Longfields might fair better in that respect. You'd have to find another way to keep an eye on the state of the inner oil seal if they work well though.

Back