Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tabernas Desert

Caen is 5-6 hours from me, boring motorway, steady driving though. Might be worth a thought. Stay here for a day to recover then off again?

Currently travelling but after my return on August 20th I will post my route thoughts. I am definitely up for this but then I live near there!

Rodger

I think I am around the same distance Rodger? I am about 2.5 hours away but East of Tabernas down in Aguilas, South of Lorca.

regards

Dave

Cheers Steve, nice of you to offer.

Its £434 for Ports-Caen, then Santander-Plymouth.

Originally I was going to call into friends just north of you on way back, but I might well come down a day earlier (sat maybe) and see them then and then come over to you on 3rd and we can go on to Spain together, that means I can then come home via Santander.

Out of interest, any idea of the toll cost from Caen down to you?

Pete

Did any arrangements for the 15th August get made?

Pete

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sorry but I had to move our aunt from her care home to another so the potential arrangement went by the way. That move is done, ferry re-arranged and we on the high seas tonight (from Plymouth). As with so many of this sort of trip, it was not possible to fit everything in but we are staying with Froggy Steve tomorrow night so, hopefully, we will have some further input to the TD trip early next week. Apologies for not letting you know about the change of plans but, being a Luddite, I wasn't able to get on the net and therefore the forum to let people know.

Regards

We stayed with Froggy Steve and went through the plan so over the next week - 10 days so I'll put some details together.
We travelled both ways through France without using the tolls roads (except one junction on the A65 round Pau and we avoided that on the way back).

Regards,

And jolly nice it was to see you :) Glad you made it back safe and sound, see you in a few weeks :)

Tabernas Desert initial plan

So far I have planned a route down to Tabernas. I need to look at the options around the desert area (and perhaps do a little exploring!) but have a different route in mind to take you back – via Gatofe/Cazola/Cuenca and out of Spain via the Smugglers Pass into Andorra. But more of that later, first I’ll give the proposed route down.

Just a few things to remember about road numbers & fuel in Spain – the alpha prefix changes according to the Province you are in and sometimes the road number itself changes. Fuel in motorway services is the same as non-motorway stations but s/markets are cheapest.

On the back roads (usually narrow) the locals you catch up with will be travelling at 40kph while the ones coming towards you are all related to Alonso!

Somport – Villafranca

From Somport tunnel (N134 in France becomes N330 in Spain) pas Villanua – right (R) onto MU.V 2201 signed for Boran – Aisa – Jasa. After Jasa left (L) onto MU 212 then left onto A176 direction (D) Puente La Reina de Jaca. [Alternative 1 below]

L onto N240 over river then R onto A132 D Bailo. Past Bailo R onto A2603 D Longras/ Isuerre/ Navardun (after Navardun road becomes A1601) D Sos Del Rey Catolico.

R onto A127 D Sanguesa – before then turn L onto NA 5340 (you are in Navarra) D Caseda.

In Caseda L onto NA 534 D Carcastillo

In Carcastillo L onto NA128 for Melida (not Sabada) & Caparroso

Past Caparosso the NA128 joins the N121 for a short while then R following [*below & Alternative 2] NA128 D Marcilla/AP15

Just before AP15 (Peage M/way) take NA660 Villafranca.

Campsite is on NA660: Ctra NA669, Pk 13.4, Villafranca. 0034 948 846 191

For those coming via Santander – coast m/way past Bilbao and follow Pamplona then N121 *

[Alternative 1: N330 then R onto B240 D Puente La Reina de Jaca]

[Alternative 2: Pick up N240 at either Jaca or Puente La Reina de Jaca D Pamplona (N240 becomes A21) B4 Pamplona ring road (O-rd) take N121 south D Tafalla then NA128 as above.

Villafranca – Tirig via Bardenas Reales

From Campsite south R on NA660 join NA134 D Tudela. L onto NA125 (signed Bardenas Reales)

Soon after entering the park the road splits left probably signed Sabada will take you into the interior of the park and its numerous trails. (Please note in Park Naturals you can use the trails but in Park Nationals no motorised vehicles are allowed on the trails). Whichever way you leave the park 0 Sabada or NA125 (not Tudela direction) you will come to the CHE1501 Turn Right for Tauste.

At Tauste pick up A127 then A126 D Remolines – Alagon then join A68 D Zaragoza (Not AP68 as this is a peage) Follow A68 onto Zaragoza O-rd (A-2 the Z 40) following signs for Alcaniz. Take N232 for Alcaniz. Pass Morella to CV132 D San Mateu. At San Mateu take CV130 for Tirig.

Campsite at Tirig: Caravan Park La Valltorta, Pda. Pla de l’Om, SN 12179 Tirig, Castellon.

(40.25’26”N 0.4’49”E) {Steve you would need to check with site re dogs – limit 2 but the other site nearby closes at the end of September or we would need to find another site near Morella).

Tirig – Morella – offroad- Enguera – Campsite

Tirig – follow signs for Cati & join CV128. L onto N232 to Morella……

This is where the road book from www.voyage4x4.com – Manllen-Engera is needed. My information/maps don’t give the necessary detail. Morella – Engera is approx. 300kms and based on Mark’s experience would necessitate 2 nights wild camping. The 3rd night would be at the campsite that Pete (Wobbly) knows. I think the route will use the CV584 into Engera but directions or location of campsite so I can finish this part please, Pete.

Pete’s campsite to Tabernas

Details when I have then but join A7 (motorway) (avoid AP7)

Leave A7 at J504 (junctions are listed as kms numbers in Spain) [This does not mean that you have to go 504 kms! It is actually about an hour and a half] onto A1102 through Sorbas Natural Park.

Join A340a D Tabernas then L onto AL3103 (just past fuel station) then 3rd right to campsite:

Oro Verde Caravan & Campsite, Piezzas de Algarra, Tabernas 0034 600258768

? Mark do you have that road book?

? Pete can you send me the info on the campsite

? Steve you need to see if 3 dogs is acceptable at Tirig

Finally, I do not have GPS so all of this done with maps (and other trickery) so please tell us if you are interested in the trip and I will also continue planning the return leg and post that. Observations and comments are more than welcome.

Regards,

I will have a study tomorrow as just back from another TV appearance...... or might be when it goes on air (a new life in the sun, fat bloke dancin...)

Had a chance to look at the route and it looks good - I have mapped out the first bits already - Does anyone have the voyages4x4 roadbook for just that section or will i have to buy wad of stuff?

Dave, apologies for not responding - a combination of being on-the-road with limited access and also being a Luddite.
We are about 2 hours from the desert - so about equi-distant!
Originally I was thinking about using a trail from the Alicanti area to the desert but as was pointed out to me that folks may well want a shorter day and the time to get settled at Tabernas.

Regards,

I just hope I can get truck sorted before end of the month now I have a cracked head :( I will come in my van if not!

That's not good. When we were with you you expressed concern that something was not right. Are you sure it's the head rather than the head gasket? Have you had it compression tested?

I had started to look on Wikilocs before we went away and had not managed to locate the relevant trail, maybe you will have a better result.

Regards,

Its a bugger for sure, but we are on it and will get it sorted I hope in time :) Pretty sure its the head as no contamination of coolant and no undue pressure system with not too much coolant being forced into expansion tank :(
Still, what will be will be

I am sure my trusty Fiat Van will be OK as long as there is no wet grass...........(it gets stuck just seeing it!)

I will ask my inlaws for the name of the campsite.

If is going off route I am happy to leave the group for a night and then rejoin.

Pete

Dave, apologies for not responding - a combination of being on-the-road with limited access and also being a Luddite.
We are about 2 hours from the desert - so about equi-distant!
Originally I was thinking about using a trail from the Alicanti area to the desert but as was pointed out to me that folks may well want a shorter day and the time to get settled at Tabernas.

Regards,

No problem Rodger. I am happy to wander up there as and when, so yes better to plan for the guys and girls doing the distance work and I will bend around that no problem.

regards

Dave

Anyone else interested in this trip? There is Pete (Wobbly) and I travelling via the Somport Tunnel under the mountains into Spain & then as much off road / tiny roads as possible, all through Spain to Tabernas where Rodger and Dave will meet us there. Looks like its going to be a fun trip :), really looking fwd to it.

Back