Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tabernas Desert

I think Cuenca takes Stu too far south, bearing in mind his time constraints. So assuming some time at the Badenas Reales and the off road opportunities there, I would suggest for those coming south that the rest of that day uses the N232 (maybe motorway round Zaragoza) to get to Monroyo and then the A1414 to get to the campsite ar Fuentespalda - 40.809101,0.068617 - which is very close to picking up a section of the voyage4x4 Manllen-Euguela trail at Morella. Using that trail as far as Almansa and then the A31 to Guardamar and the beach site that Pete knows. That trail is around 100kms or more so it would be a full day and may involve some wild camping if progress is slow.

If this is the sort of trip, then I'll continue in this vain.

Mojo has sent me the detailed information re Cazorla. It is well worth incorporating into the plan and fits nicely into the return leg.
I am still researching various areas/routes/trails etc but hopefully will have the majority sorted before we leave for the UK early in July. On the way we are checking some bits of the proposed route so it may, or may not, get modified after we return in mid August.

Regards,

Whereabouts in UK you going?

Our UK trip is a bit involved as I am doing a couple of events to promote the book and see as many friends as we can and deliver the 40 hardtop to its new owner... but here's a synopsis of the towns/events we'll be visiting:

Arrive Portsmouth 12th July - Poole - Bedford - Dragstalgia at Santa Pod - Sutton Coldfield - Bourne - Yoxford - Newcastle on Tyne - Wakefield - Leyland - Warrington - Cheadle (Staffs) - Doncaster Road Runners Show - Cheadle (again) - Biggleswade (NSRA SuperNats) - Burnham on Sea/Bristol - Sail from Plymouth 16th August.

So it's sort of up the east side and down the west and we're always pleased to meet people if we're near and time allows.
Where are you?

Regards,

Our UK trip is a bit involved as I am doing a couple of events to promote the book and see as many friends as we can and deliver the 40 hardtop to its new owner... but here's a synopsis of the towns/events we'll be visiting:

Arrive Portsmouth 12th July - Poole - Bedford - Dragstalgia at Santa Pod - Sutton Coldfield - Bourne - Yoxford - Newcastle on Tyne - Wakefield - Leyland - Warrington - Cheadle (Staffs) - Doncaster Road Runners Show - Cheadle (again) - Biggleswade (NSRA SuperNats) - Burnham on Sea/Bristol - Sail from Plymouth 16th August.

So it's sort of up the east side and down the west and we're always pleased to meet people if we're near and time allows.
Where are you?

Regards,
If you need a place to crash on the way up, more than welcome chez moi

Thanks Steve,
We made the decision (brought on by old age!) that we would no longer camp and, as the truck is too small to carry even the smallest Oztent, and our tent takes an hour to put up ( even allowing for my frustration with this inanimate object!) so we use B&Bs or stay with friends. After a full day driving the old girl, either off road or highway, I am usually pretty knackered as there is never a moment where one can relax and let the truck do the driving(!) so the grief of putting up the tent makes the good lady tense so spoils the day for her. It sounds like the 40 is a handful to drive... well she's not a modern vehicle but if I look at the scenery the truck tends to want to take a look too! I love driving it but my years of driving artics were never as tiring or as interesting as driving the 40.

On the way up we are staying with friends at La Reole and were planning to do the same on the way down (but haven't asked them yet) On the way back we are sailing to Roscoff and then down but with no camping gear that may not work for you. If it does, it would be great to meet you and yours (and the dogs).

Regards,

Burnham is just up the road from me :)

Will be great to meet up if it works out.

Cheers

Pete

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The following is a little bit of thinking aloud....
As Stu is short of time and therefore staying around the north of Spain I am thinking that after several days of looking around France his little one would probably like a day by the sea so am thinking that he comes into Spain via Irun/San Sebastion and in the Santander area locates a campsite (various to choose from- details later but some of the sites close at the end of September). (If Stu comes in via the tunnel there's a bit of duplicated mileage) From Santander there's a short run up to Reinosa and there I can put him on a 70 odd mile trail that will take him to Potes (Picos de Europa) where there is one short - 25 mile- trail over to Sotres. And the cable car up to Fuente De. As far as I'm aware this one of the few trails allowed in a Spanish National Park. Then bring him across towards Villafranca on the day that the Santander ferry gets in. Campsite is at 42.263332,-1.738611. Santander to campsite is 324kms. The following day take in the Bardena Park, Argaedas (25kms).
Then onto Cuenca, or if Stu is short on time I can send him towards the Smugglers Pass and Andorra. The old town of Cuenca is very beautiful and worth a visit with a campsite in the forests nearby.
I've been concentrating on getting Stu's northern Spain route sorted but with the information from Mojo I've had a good look at that and have managed to find a trail that links up with the route he gave us but this one starts in Quadix (the town with the cave houses) and it crosses the Gorafe desert before entering the Cazorla valley. So for the return from Tabernas, the choice is an hour up the A92 m-way or a back road route that will take us over the Puerto de la Ragua (2000 metre high pass) - all paved but demanding.

Is this the sort of trip that you are thinking about? Obviously there's a lot more to input and several days not yet accounted for but rather than me spend too much time on the wrong path, I thought I'd ask opinions.

View attachment 102305
Bardenas
View attachment 102306
Cuenca

Let me know what you think
Hell yea !!!!!!

Hi Roger

Please don't count me into anything at the moment as our house sale is being dragged out so not sure on even a time scale yet. It's looking less likely we will even get away on this trip.

Sorry to all envoled.

Let us know when your in Bristol Burnham area and we can hopefully meet up.

Didn't realise you were selling your 40. What are you replacing it with?

Stu

We aren't selling the 40 - just the hardtop as we never use it. We both prefer the soft top. Originally I had planned to make a lift up hatch from the two top halves of the doors that I cut up to make the tailgate but having cut the window frames at the top of the front doors as well I would need to modify the front of the h/top significantly. It was obvious that both were major jobs, but as neither of us like it with the hard top on it became a useless exercise.

We will arrive in Burnham on the night of August 14th and be around there on the 15th. Possible plan that karsata wants to see the 60 series installation on that day. On the 16th we plan to go to Bristol to see our son before we depart that evening from Plymouth.
So the 15th is great - day or evening whatever and where ever suits.

Stu, I'll put the planning for you on hold until the situation is clearer for you and concentrate on the Tabernas trip for everyone else.

Just had another quick look at the trail from Morella to Almansa is definitely more than one day so I can either try and locate a campsite or it's wild camping.

Regards,

On the way up we are staying with friends at La Reole and were planning to do the same on the way down (but haven't asked them yet) On the way back we are sailing to Roscoff and then down but with no camping gear that may not work for you. If it does, it would be great to meet you and yours (and the dogs).

On the way up or down , all the same to me. We have a room spare and its even got a bed! We may have to shoot off early for work in the morning, all depends which day it is! More than welcome to stay.

Stu,
My son lives in a shared house that overlooks St George's Park so I guess the answer is St George's.

Steve, thank you very much. It would be the evening of August 17th. The ferry docks at Roscoff around 7 in the morning that day so it would be Roscoff to yours. The early start wouldn't be a problem as we will have a 'big mileage' day ourselves as we'd try to get as far down Spain as is possible. Perhaps you could pm your address and I can build it into my plan.

Regards,

Thats a small world then I am 2 miles if that from the park. Just up the road in hanham.

Stu, I just had a look at a Bristol map and it is quite near, so the Tuesday may be better for you but, thinking you'll be working, we need to be in Plymouth by 7pm so it might not work (?)

On the 15th people will no doubt be working so a I guess an evening venue?

Cheers

Just a quick reminder folks, we are just a few miles off the a2/m25 junction. And as long as we are not ourselves on the road, doors always open for friends, and there is beer in the fridge.

Is everyone still up for this trip? I am really looking fwd to it! I need to get in my mind who is coming and what we are doing and when ....its me age :)
holiday du du dee du, holiday du etc etc :)

Unless something goes drastically wrong I will still meet up with you as per our PM's Steve.

regards

Dave

Currently travelling but after my return on August 20th I will post my route thoughts. I am definitely up for this but then I live near there!

Rodger

Hi all, sorry for absence but I cant access the forum on my iphone anymore.

A rendevous in northern spain on Monday 3rd October would work for me - Ive changed my mind about driving through France so will use the Santander ferry to and fro.

Back