Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tabernas Desert

Sunday to Thursday and I am now at home leaving the remainder of the group to deal with the thunderstorms and rain. The choice of dates was pretty much perfect, we had good weather every day bar Wednesday pm. The threat of river beds and small narrow rambla's becoming flooded without warning meant we only had to shorten the one day before the rain started, it was a good call to finish up early as it simply fell down.

Despite my 80 having stock suspension/wheels and tyres she performed well and did stock 80's proud. I managed to loosen one rear mud flap but rip the other side completely off, along with the bumper support! This was done when manoeuvring to get in a position to repair a puncture (more of that later), other than that and some pretty deep scoring of the paint from the tough Spanish bushes there was no other damage, the car performed faultlessly.

It was a great opportunity to meet and make new friends, and if anyone found themselves in need of assistance (some trails were quite demanding) it was given with a 'all hands to the pump' attitude, this demonstrated great team dynamics with everyone having something to offer, a genuine group of guys and girls made this a memorable trip.

Thanks to all, let's do it again sometime.

regards

Dave

EDIT: Copied from 'trip' because I posted in the wrong place.....yeh I know.

Last edited:
Hope its nothing time won't heal Wobbly and a short time at that ?

Steve check out the recent club trip to Salisbury on here , i polished out far worse than that .

Last edited:
I thought I would add a few personal reflections on our incredible 4 days, as a full report complete with photos and videos will follow when our Communications Director has returned to France and edited all the media.

My personal concerns were that the trails would not be challenging enough but day 1 laid that to rest and that wasn't the most difficult (although there may have been a bit more 'ten bob/threepenny bit' involved!).
Perhaps my main worry was that our 40 may show her age, after all she is 40 years old next January, but she did not disgrace herself at all even though we have no diff-locks. What we did recognise is that we are somewhat under-equipped for camping and we will attempt to address that before the GB&U Tour 2017.
Before GB&U17 Dave2000 and us will do some more reccies and hopefully we can add some further variations to what was a fabulous few days with great people and superb teamwork and believe me at some points teamwork was the only way forward.
Big thanks to those involved - GB&U Tour 2016 was great.

Rodger

Hope irs nothing time won't heal Wobbly and a short time at that ?

Steve check out the recent club trip to Salisbury on here , i polished out far worse than that .

Just seen that from Pete and echo Shayne's comments.

Re the scratches Shayne, I don't know how deep Steve's go but some of mine are down to the primer, feel free to pop over with your chamois. :icon-biggrin:

regards

Dave

Looking forward to the full report, have seen photos on FB - looked great and some nice trails and views.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back