Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tabernas Desert

I'm in for the journey down, though I will have to peel off to get the boat to Morocco on the 9th with MarkW. Very much looking forward to it and meeting everyone.

What time/where is a convenient place to meet Steve? I'll PM you on the GPS question

I guess Bergerac somewhere would be best, as early as we can organise ;) - pete will be with us, so now we are 3 :)
smashing :)

Just been watching some of the Vuelta de Espana (cycling) and the stage has just passed Morella. A walled castle town with much of the town within those walls. Hopefully you guys will have time to visit as it is the last town before the campsite at Tirig. Another interesting point the commentators have made is that the road they are using (N232) is one of the oldest roads in Spain and you are going to be using it from Zaragoza to the Morella area.

regards,

Thanks Rodger - really looking fwd to this trip :)

Interesting info!

Steve

To finish the trip down part from Enguera to the area where Pete said the campsite was - Guadamar de Segura:

From junction of 584 & 590 in Enguera follow 590 to T with 585. turn Right. onto A35 D Elche. Leave A35 at La Font de la Figuera and onto N344. (follow the trucks - it's a short cut they use!) Join A31 D Elche (not AP7) Leave A31 at Calle de Mexico: off ramp to O -s/on (m/way above and to left) to T junction. Turn Right onto N322 and follow to Guadamar de Segura.

Leave G de S on CV910 D Orihuela. Right onto CV930 D Benferry. Before Benferry join A7 D Murcia.

The return journey:

TD campsite L onto A340a (River bed trail option) – R to Gador [Do NOT use bridge under railway – turn L on approach then R over level crossing –Very sharp turn] D Terque & Illar, R onto A348 (D Alcolea). Junction after Alcolea take Cherin/Ugijar turn. 1ST R at Cherin O then R after bridge A337 – D Puerto de la Ragua (2000 metres) onto La Calahorra (worth a stop at viewing area where road widens on the way down). R at T in La Calahorra – join A92 D Guadix (some cave houses can be seen from the M/way) 17km to m/way join with A92-N follow Granada and off at first exit (2 km). A325 D Fonelas (12k) S/on +5kms Turn R onto NE36 (GR5103) D Villanueva de las Torre. Turn L onto GR6101 and into Villanueva d/l Torres town square. Stay on 6101 leaving square with Café Sherezade on left. At the end of the olive trees turn R, D Cortijo Nueva. At farm bldgs. Turn L. Over Rio Guadahortuna turn left.

At Cortijo Nueva the road turns back on itself. On that sharp bend there are two LH turns – take the 1st one. Stay on the main track - At Y (olive trees in front) R; next Y – R; ignore 1 Rh & 1 LH track and at next Y – R; next Y - L; next Y – left & follow to A315.

At A315 turn R then left onto JA8200 D Hinojares. Through Hinojares on 8200 then left at T onto A6206. After a serious set of S bends the main track is on R before a RH band - possibly marked as JF7092. S/on on JF7092 (JV7107 joins from L). At Vadillo Castril 7092 joins 7091 at T – turn R. Left onto Camino de la Huelga, D Area Recreatva Linarejos, Arrive in Rio Borosa at T junction turn left – over river to T and turn R. A few Kms then R onto Av del Segura in Coto Rios (campsite on left before bridge)

Camping Chopera de Coto Rios, C del Tranco, A-319-KM53, 23478 Coto Rios, Corzola. 953 71 30 74. (pets on lead).

Estimated kms = 284

--o0o—

From C/site turn R over bridge and follow Calle Aguadebas passing Camping Llanos de Arance (no dogs) (ignore RH turn) keep on main track past big lake. Join bigger track at La Platera (effectively s/on) to T with A317. Turn L D Hornos. At Hornos 1st major R turn onto A317a. Left onto JF7016. R onto JF 7012 to Siles & junction with A310. Turn R. A310 becomes A3204 (no junction). Pass A28 D Cortillas on right then turn L onto CM3205 D Villaverde de Guadalimar & Bienservida and onto T with N322 at Ermita de San Blas – turn R.

N322 Through Robledo plus 1 km (just past Alucolea Int’l SL bldg. on left) turn L onto CM320 D Viveros then at O s/on onto CM3133 D El Ballestero/El Bonilla/ Munera.

At Munera ignore N430 go under bridge to T with N430a – turn R then at 1st main junction on left turn L onto CM3119 D Villarrobledo. Over A43 (m/way) to O with A310 – turn R D San Clemente ( 2 Os s/on at both). S/on at interchange with A301 (still A310).

In San Clemente At O (BP on left) use filter & turn left onto CM3112 then left onto CM3009 D Alberca de Zancara. At A de Z turn R onto CM3110 D Santa Marin del Campo Rus. Follow CM3110 to Almarcha.

At Almarcha: S/on at O and over A3 (m/way) – ignore on ramp then L onto ‘camino route’ (runs beside m/way for 1km) follow to junction with N420 and turn R, D Cuenca.

Cuenca is a World Heritage City and the old town is well worth a visit.

At Cuenca: S/on at O where N420 meets N320 onto N400. Next O turn R onto Ctra Ronda (ring road). At 3rd O left onto N320a. S/on through Os and road bends left and at next O turn R onto Av San Ignacio de Loyola (big park on left) to cross roads. S/over into Calle Colon. Take 2nd R (before bridge) then 1 st left into Calle Palafox (narrow climb). Ignore car park signs – you won’t get in with roof tents. Climb street with famous coloured houses and through arch into Plaza Major & cathedral. Park & cafes in square.

Return to bottom of hill then turn R then R across bridge & immediately R – CM2105. +7kms is Camping Caravaning Cuenca on left. 40.07.594N/002.08.351W

Info @campingcuenca.com 0034 969231656

Dogs allowed? Don’t know.

Estimated kms = 303

--o0o—

L on exit from campsite onto CM2105. R at T with CM2110 but road is still CM2105 D Villalba de la Sierra/Una. Just past Huelamo 2105 meets CM2106 (which comes from the right but it’s not a junction on the 2105). +3kms turn R onto CU-V-9161. Passing into Aragon now so the road number changes to A1704 D Frias de Albarracin. (several gravel trails in area – if you think there’s time to run them I’ll work out some routes). A1704 D Calomarde/Royuela.

At Royuela A1704 T jctn with A1703 turn L. +2kms jctn with A-1512 turn R D Albarracin (6kms) Old town worth a visit. Stay on A-1512 D Teruel (passes Teruel airport which is used to store aircraft). At jctn with N234 turn R D Teruel – becomes N420 at cloverleaf D (probably signed for A23) Not Teruel centre. O with A23(m/way) s/over D Perales del Alframbra. After 68 kms turn R onto A2402 D Escucha, follow 2402 to Castel de Cabra turn R onto N420/N211 D Alcaniz.

At Alcaniz: 1st cloverleaf R onto N420. Next major jctn turn left onto N211 D Mequineuza – n211 D Fraga (14kms) – under AP2 (m/way) then s/on at O under A2 (m/way). At 2nd O where N211 meets N11 s/over onto A131 D Bailobar/Salinena. A131 for 29kms turn R onto A130 D Monzon.

On Approach to Monzon turn L onto N240 D Barbastro (s/on at O under A22). Turn R onto N123. At Barbastro N123 T jctn with N230 turn L, D Tolva/ Prente de Montanana. At P de Montanana turn R onto C1311, D Tremp.

At Tremp turn L onto C13 (Spanish O!) D Sort.

Possible campsite: Camping Gaset (open until 15/10) at C13-KM-91, 25630 Talarn 973650737 – dogs on lead.

At La Pobla de Segur: C13 – O with N260 turn 1st R.

A number of campsites between Tremp & Sort: Camping Collegats: N269-KM306, La Pobla de Segur, 973680714 open until 1/11 dogs on lead..

Estimated kms = 396

--o0o—

In Sort the N260 turns right – go s/on on C13 D Rialp/Llavorsi.

At Llavorsi: Over bridge turn R onto L-504 D- (?) Ribera de Carlos.

+3kms at O fork R onto L-510 D Alins.

[1st R is Tirvia: Tirvia was destroyed during Spanish Civil War as it was look out/radio station between the opposing lines. The Catalunya Government has restored 15 such villages in recent years. It is worth a walk round (park in square as some of the overhangs will be too low for cruisers). Tirvia looks down on its helicopter pad – most Spanish mountain villages have a heli-pad – it’s part of the Health Service and it’s not charity dependent!]

Alins: Hotel Saloria on left, café on right and car park just round the bend on the right. In the middle at the back of the car park a track leads off (signed Tor). This is the start of Smugglers’ Pass. Ignore the couple of tracks off to the left and arrive in the village of Tor, which is only occupied during the summer. In Tor follow track round LH bend and turn R over bridge. Stay on main track and when you join the tarmac road at the top you are in Andorra.

Tarmac road is CG4 D Xixerella/Erts/La Massana

In La Massana CG4 joins CG3 via one-way system (R is to Andorra La Vella – main town [good if you want a new Gucci handbag or a Rolex, IMO]. And left to Ordino.

In Ordino: 1st O (CG3 goes to left) s/on over xebra crossing to next O (very near) and turn R onto C del Coll d’Ordino, D Canillo. It becomes CS240 and at Canillo it joins CG2 at O turn L, D Pas de la Casa. At Pas de la Casa s/on at O & at LH bend the road becomes N22 and you are in France.

Estimated kms = 123 + Smugglers’ Pass + France

Regards,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice one Rodger, I am so glad no one asked me to type that, I would still be in front of the keyboard when everyone was already on their way home!!

regards

Dave

Mblinko, you coming from Uk or already in France?

Pete

Steve,

Ive messaged my mate, he lives in Lizant.

Im looking at ferry to Caen on Sat, then to you on Sunday, then on to Spain on Mon 3rd?

Am phoning inlaws for campsite details tomorrow, will update.

Pete

Just a couple of hours away :) - N10 Angouleme then round the bypass and pick up the D939 towards Perigueux, we are half way between the 2 ....
Can you pm your mobile # in case of problems? (Did you like the way I did that Rodger? :) ) will pm you our address and gps
Does everything fit in with you journey wise / timings etc

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,
Exchanging mobile numbers? Who'd have thought of that... well we certainly didn't! Never too old to learn, that's what I like.
Any thoughts on how many days you want to spend in Tabernas? Our thoughts are that day 1 we run some trails in the desert - there are loads of different locations used in various films. Does visiting them interest people?
Another day (2) we could go to the Cabo de Gato, beautiful area just south of the desert, that again contains various film locations and several unspoilt villages and the sea. Or we can stay in the desert, there's plenty of it.
That would mean 3 nights at Tabernas campsite. More?
Mark, where are you meeting MarkW? Algercias? That's probably 4 hours away by motorway.
Three nights in Tabernas, would put you back into France on Friday 14th, but this all assumes that there are only 2 nights wild camping on the Morella-Enguera trail.
Thoughts?

Regards,

:) I am presuming we arrive Fri or Sat, so maybe rest Sunday ? then 3 or 4 days around with a few days back? As long as we are back before 21st when 'her' lot arrive it will be fine.....

Mblinko, you coming from Uk or already in France?

Pete

Already here Pete, near Sarlat, so am meeting you and Steve at Bergerac. Not sure exactly where yet.

......Mark, where are you meeting MarkW? Algercias?......

We have family visitors sooner than expected which means I can't do the WS this year, gutted :icon-cry:. On the bright side though, I can tag along on your trip a bit longer, pretty much the same dates as Steve.

Steve,

I have booked the Pompey-Caen ferry for Sunday 2nd October, will get down to my mates for Sunday night, then meet up with you early Monday morning - is there a logical rv point or are you on my way anyway so I come to you?

I have booked the return ferry from Santander on 12th October, its a night ferry so I hope to travel back up on the one day.

Will pm you my contact details.

Pete

Our house in on the way, so best meeting point I think. We may split away to do the long way back over smugglers pass in Andora, or stay down in Tabernass then move away - we have to be back before 21st, but earlier better to get ready for the 'visitors' ..........

Enguera to Guadamar de Segura…. A variation

Thinking about the Enguera to G de S section, you may not want to spend an hour or more on motorways and main roads, so here is an alternative route:

At the junction of the four tracks just before dropping down into Enguera ( >< ) instead of turning left turn R, D Montesa. Approaching the village the track bends sharply left – go straight on – C Crist Zalamea (the castle should be ahead of you). Left in front of castle; left again (castle now on RH) R at Y & R at T. 3rd L once in village (Ruralcaja Grupo Bank on corner) into Avinguda de Silverio Perfecto Sanz Navarro. At O 2nd exit onto A35 – next off ramp (32) onto CV649 – follow round over m/way. T turn R. O s/on and under rail bridge. O left (stay on CV649) O s/on (649). O at start of Villada – Av del Molinets, follow 649 through village (very twisty) and CV649 becomes Cv6392 on exit of village.D Ontinyent. At x-road with CV651 s/on onto CV 665. Stay on 665 until O turn L onto CV660. O turn R (still 660) . At 3rd O turn R onto CV81 D Bocairent/Villena.

At Bocairent: 3rd O turn L (industrial area) then R at the 4way. Follow to O, s/on onto CV794 D Alcoy/Alcoi. Left onto CV705 until junction with N340 – turn R. At O stay on N340 not A7 (unless time is pressing then take A7 to Alicante follow airport signs to link with end of this piece). Turn L onto CV785. Turn R onto CV780, D Torremanzanas. Turn L onto CV782, D Rellen. CV782 becomes CV778 a km before Rellen. In Rellen join Cv775 (effectively s/on) D Aignes. S/on on CV775 – bridge over AP7 O s/on, next O turn R onto N332 which joins A70 (Alicante’s inner motorway) Follow to exit 22 (Airport) and onto N338, pass all the airport exits and the N338 joins the N332 D Torrevieja. G de S is on N332.

Ive added everyone into a conversation now, should show in your inboxs as Trip.

Pete

Seeing as this thread has now become a 'conversation' between those involved I thought I'd just post a summary of the plan:
The folks from the UK and France are meeting and running straight to Morella, as we have established that the trail section of the outbound trip is 561kms (thanks Mark) and that no-one is coming via Santander with the target of reaching Tabernas by Saturday 8th. We have 3 major desert trails including dry river beds and mountains worked out and we are looking at 4 days in Tabernas, where 3 of us who live in southern Spain will join them. And then the trip back by a completely different route. And the sun continues to shine!

Regards,

The 'Conversation' functionality doesn't seem to be the same as I notice there is no facility to 'Upload a File' like there is here, hence returning to this thread. So to summarise route plans to date are below, of course nothing is set in stone. All routes can be seen here. I will send GPX files by email. The Desert Routes are included and pictured in the attached PDF as I know everyone does not have a GPS Sat Nav.

1. Outbound to Tabernas Desert
Oct 3 and 4 - Bergerac to Camping La Valltorta - 681km - all tarmac
Oct 5, 6 and 7 - Voyages4x4 - cut down - 561km - mostly unpaved
Oct 8 - Camping La Pinada Enguera - Camping Oro Verde (Tabernas) - 345km - all tarmac​
2. Routes while at Tabernas Desert - start and finish at the campsite
DR1 - 52 km - unpaved
DR2 - 34.5 km - unpaved
DR3 - 53.5 km - unpaved
The google satellite view shows the area has lots and lots of options​
3. Return Trip
Not finished yet - I will do it this week
I'm guessing there will be loads to see and do keep us busy through the week in the desert, but like you Steve, Mel and I would be grateful for a day off on the 9th.

Thanks to Rodger for the sterling work in figuring out the routes and preparing their descriptions.

Attachments

• Desert Trails.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 157
Back