Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tank Range and Diesel Teleportation

My colorado is at 3000 revs sitting at 90 mph, but I have got larger 32" tyres. And from my Tom tom my speedo is now dead accurate.

Going up 1 tyre size generally cures any speedo error.
When I had the 120 series, it had 265 x 70 x R17, and the gps, and speedo were spot on together.

I guess at 3000 rpm, and 90 mph, you could almost watch the fuel needle decending to "E" rather too quickly.

Gra.

Graham said:
Going up 1 tyre size generally cures any speedo error.
When I had the 120 series, it had 265 x 70 x R17, and the gps, and speedo were spot on together.

I guess at 3000 rpm, and 90 mph, you could almost watch the fuel needle decending to "E" rather too quickly.

Gra.

I would think so too but last summer on my euro road trip with the cruiser I managed to work out various speeds and what I would get off the tank. Just to let you know my cruiser is standard other than a slight tweak at the fuel Pump, and 32" tyres. It also had 7 people, and suitcases.
At 55-60 mph, just as it ticks into 4th gear, I get about 475 Miles, brim to reserve light. This was usually between 65-70 litres.... Im guessing the reserve is a massive 25 litres as the Colorado has a 90 litre tank, correct?

At 65-70 mph , Just about 450 Miles.
80 mph, 400 Miles
90 mph (done on the autobahn just to let you know :roll: ) 350 Miles.
Also my cruiser tops out at 110 mph (slight downhill) and oh my, the fuel needle was dropping...... :lol:

Before I started modifying, I would get about 27mpg on the motorway 70-80mph

Since a few minor mods, this has dropped to 21-25mpg

I have full service history, new injectors, lattitude winch bumper, winch, driving lights, OME 40mm, safari snork

Sounds like a big drop for your mods, I hope they are worth it....

Ok have got to London uneventfully. Just a fraction over 8 hours door-to-door. Haven't worked out consumption yet, but the reserve light is not yet on. Sat at as steady a 68mph (which is dead on 2000rpm) as I could manage, cruise control on for as long as possible.

On a nice long flat bit I pushed it to 80mph to compare revs with Crispin. Sorry boet - I was just getting to 2400rpm at 80mph! Truck was pulling like a train then too - great stuff. More details to follow :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Gary Stockton said:
On a nice long flat bit I pushed it to 80mph to compare revs with Crispin. Sorry boet - I was just getting to 2400rpm at 80mph! Truck was pulling like a train then too - great stuff. More details to follow :lol:

Yup, the 5 speed manual is cr@p with gearing. The 6 speed lowers it by 400RPM apparently.
When it comes time to change the clutch, I'll try source a 6sp box for fun. I saw one at a breaker's for £400. Spoke to Greg about it a while ago and he said there would / should be no extra in replacing the box as it comes out for the clutch anyway.

Talking of gearing - noticing a big difference between the '03 and the '55 auto I had. The extra gear (newer box) makes a big difference.

4.5 people Crispin?... Are you referring to a child or elf?... as opposed to a section of the last bloke to upset you.... erm... sir... :lol:

Think I'm going to stick with the 65s, at least for this trip - if I can find some that is. Last I checked Event Tyres wanted £750 for 5 GG ATs .. (AT2s not available anymore).

Going to be interested in your figures Gary :thumbup:

Yup, 4 normal folk and a 6 month old.

Crispin said:
Yup, 4 normal folk and a 6 month old.

Where did you find 4 normal folk???? :shock:

I've been searching for ages and not found any.... :lol:

Imports

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Crispin said:
Imports

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
From where, couldn't have been from Oz or SA :lol:

Latest... for the really bored...

410 miles ... 76 litres... I make that about 24.5 mpg.

That's ok! Still to fill up from my trip down to London and back to get a final litre figure, then I'll do the sums!

So this week I've been driving like a grandpa. Cruise control to 60 where it used to be 80/85 (I mean 70) for the 20 odd mile A41 and lazy driving in between instead of spirited driving.

Figures are not as different as I thought they would be.

Light is not yet on but guessing it'll be on before I make it half way home. I brimmed the tank last week and the clock is currently at 430, if I make it home, then I'll have got 460 and I won't push it much further than that.
The only thing which will have skewed the figures is that I drove for a couple of days on a rear tyre which was 17psi instead of the normal 39. :oops: Pretty sure that a head wind would have a worse effect so doubt there is much in it...

Pump the tyres to the max (44PSI on the AT2s) and you get another ±50 out of the tank as per last experiment but the ride is pretty uncomfortable.

So driving everywhere like gramps gets me 26mpg and spirited gets me 24, the difference tank-tank is about 30 miles which is about 4L "wasted" but I'm not as old when I arrive :dance:

I'm going with "if you want economy, get a car." It would seem driving [my truck] either way changes the consumption from bad to a little worse.

Not too bad really...

OK - I've now filled up and done all my sums ... :clap:

I brimmed the tanks before I left, and have just done the same now. The travel was mostly motorways, some open, some very congested, and some urban cycle stop / start stuff, so a fair representation. Speed on motorway was kept to a sedate 2000rpm - about 68mph - and I used the cruise control as often as I could, which makes consumption worse IMHO as it doesn't plan ahead - oooh - big hill - lets accelerate now rather than drop 2 gears on the hill to get up it ...

No load on the way there, big load on the way back, including a Roof Top Tent and a winch bumper fitted, plus the car was full - 2 winches, suitcases, pipe-bender, microwave, tools, old bumper, assorted detritus from 4 months in a flat in London ;)

So:

Total distance covered: 1013.9 miles
Total litres used: 199.333

MPG (from this site) is 23.12mpg, or 12.22 litres / 100km. Theoretical tank range is thus 711.9km, or roughly 442 miles under the same conditions.

So I'm happy with that - considering my old 80 used to return 20 l/100 irrespective at best, I'm very happy!

Back