Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tesco doing a deal on 10w 40

I've always stuck to Morris's Multivis, good spec oil, semi synthetic, exceeds the spec of Mobil 1 which Toyota told me they use. Clive, I'm quite happy to bring you some over. I'll get a price but I think it is not much more than the Tesco price.

We've been boycotting Tesco for about the last 10 years (though it doesn't look like we've hurt them) due to their aggressive policy of putting smaller shops out of business which they've done a lot round here.

Mighty kind of you to offer Rich.

I don't want to be the one cluttering up your truck all the way here, but I'd be pleased to have something trusted at a decent price, for sure.

I'm with in principle on the implications and effects of supermarkets on local economies. Our village shops seem to be surviving after 3 years of the new 'Mega Image' supermarket here, but for how long?

Is Tesco any worse than the others though?

IMO yes they are Clive. They take over pubs and garages to avoid the need for planning permission, aggressively price and watch the independent convenience stores decline then put the prices up. They move to an out of town shop and kill off small towns. They hold land to stop other supermarkets buying it up as competition and insist their suppliers don't offer their other customers more than 30 days credit which often puts them out of business.
Others do similar but not in the same aggressive way Tesco do. I personally know a butcher put under by tescos moving in. They also contract their suppliers to pay Tesco 100% of the shelf price for goods not delivered or late delivered. And their food goes off very quickly.

I like Lidl.

Apologies I have led this a tad off topic and shall stop it at once!!

Last edited:
I'm certain that genuine filters do filter better my last change with an oem left the oil clean still after 1000 miles
The Milner one didn't
Not saying they're no good but the gen ones especially if you can pick one up cheap do seem better
Interesting point. With the HZJ I have the impression the oil gets darkisch very fast, not sure if this is normal for this type of engine.

Maybe I should to like a type of 'flush the next time? Change the oil, drive a couple 100 km and change it again?

Interesting point. With the HZJ I have the impression the oil gets darkisch very fast, not sure if this is normal for this type of engine.

Maybe I should to like a type of 'flush the next time? Change the oil, drive a couple 100 km and change it again?

I've noticed this too Alex with my 1HZ, within a few hundred k after an oil and genuine filter change, the oil is discoloured, still nicely 'oily' but dark.

I've not done a flush admittedly, but I would expect the oil to stay clearer longer. My engine is now at 400k km so some blow-by is expected, but TBH, there's little signs of excessive crank-case pressure, so it must be minimal.

Every diesel I have ever driven has black engine oil almost immediately. From new, non Turbo, Turbo, common rail you name it. Black as your hat almost immediately even when using an engine flush which I don't do any more.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've also found the oil in the 80 gets discoloured very quickly. The engine design is ancient by modern standards and quite dirty on the fuelling/emmissions, especially compared to a modern lean burn petrol engine. The oil on the bike looks barely changed at 5K miles.

I have the same thing on my 1hz and been thinking of doing a change, 500miles, change, repeat a few times. Maybe I will stop by tesco later today!

If anyone has a good source of oe filters, do tell.

Well without wishing to appear OCD, I do rather go to some lengths to drain mine. I even shove a suction hose down the gallery from the engine to the filter and suck that out. I park the truck on an angle to get the most to the sump and other daft stuff. My oil stays clean for up to 1000k as I said. There's not much oil left in mine when I've done. If I don't, then yes, my oil is dirty very very quickly.

Rich don't worry about the thread. Simple statement. Tesco are selling oil at £25 for 10l. After that you can post what you like, job's done. Gotta run - I'm off to Tesco again.

Every diesel I have ever driven has black engine oil almost immediately. From new, non Turbo, Turbo, common rail you name it. Black as your hat almost immediately even when using an engine flush which I don't do any more.

When I bought the Cruiser which Stuart now owns I went to collect it the old guy said "I've had it for 13 years and changed the oil every 2 weeks". Yea right I thought but guess what? the truck had done 130K i think and when Al my mate pulled the dipstick it was like it had never even been started, straight out of the can, quite unbelievable.
I of course carried on the same regime until Stuart bought it and only sold it to him on the basis he did the same. In conversation with him he says he does but won't let me anywhere the dipstick.

+1 on genuine oil filters. I believe most diesel cruisers use the same oil filters right? Would be good to find someone selling a big batch that we could then distribute if the price was right.

Ooh yeah, wouldn't it just though

After seeing a few things online regarding genuine filters versus non genuine I wont fit anything but genuine to my Landcruisers anymore. :icon-ugeek:

I believe cheap filters are false economy as they simply wont protect or maintain an engine like the genuine ones will. :shifty:

This is a post Julian V of Overland Cruisers put on Facebook last year. :)

oil filter 1.jpg

oil filter 2.jpg

Not exactly a flush but a while back i found the best part of 5 litres i bought for the hummer sitting in the shed while i was changing oil , so i put the drain plug back in and wasted 5 new litres of the wrong grade oil which i had no use for anyway . Drained it and then refilled with Toyota stuff . It did stay cleaner looking for a fair bit longer than usual .

Wow that filter comparison says it all really...:openmouth:

Reactions: Ben
+1 on genuine oil filters. I believe most diesel cruisers use the same oil filters right? Would be good to find someone selling a big batch that we could then distribute if the price was right.
Ive looked into this but the figures dont add up. Toyota uk and the likes of rufftrax and milners are as good as anywhere in the world on service items. Clutches,oil filters, brake pads and discs etc.

So it wouldn't be worthwhile ordering a job lot via Amayama then?

Local Tesco were entirely sold out of 10w40

So it wouldn't be worthwhile ordering a job lot via Amayama then?

Just plumbed in my oil filter number into amayama and they price it at £26.45 before shipping. Eg 90915-30002

Back