Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The development build continues

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
Most of you know my truck and its gradual development into a suitable overland vehicle that is simple, robust and works.

Well on my last trip I suffered a rear flat... 7 " nail and had the pleasure of trying to get the spare wheel off the roof rack. Now this was an easy task when I had the howling moon tent, because I could crawl all over the tent to get to the wheel. No so easy with the Impi. I was also not so happy having 35+ kilo riding on the roof rack, so decided to remove the OEM rear wheel carrier and have R&D manufacture a double wheel carrier.

Truck as standard

553008_496591490389108_593377345_n.jpg

Rear bumper removed

558005_496591497055774_562286292_n.jpg

Base bumper 1

164938_497281250320132_604829084_n.jpg

9942_497281253653465_666254548_n.jpg

Fabrication complete and ready for powdercoat

553016_498914673490123_2022711520_n.jpg

535871_498914683490122_897165550_n.jpg

Very pleased so far... whaddya all think?

Last edited:
Having made one myself, I'd say - Very nice indeed. I'll have a think and see if I can remember any relevant issues I ran into - other than bloomin fog lights of course.

When will mine be ready by the way???

Chris

Looks very nice indeed! :icon-cool: Fits the body well especially at the sides.

Are you going to have gas strut assisted opening on the arms?

I can see the clamp locations to hold the arms shut, as well as what look like pads that seem to be supporting the arms when they are closed, is there a fully closed stop for the arms?

Looks smart, can't quite work out the extra round hole each side above what I think are jacking points? Your truck and it's lack of proper rear bumper was one of my arguments to myself for not fitting mine so that's blown it for me! What's your plan for tidying up where the body mounted carrier fixed to the rear wing?

Yes will have gas strut assistance. Geeze Scott you've got bloody good eye sight! Yes the pads are made of delrin and not only support the arm but stop the inevitable rattle on corrugations. Yes also a fully closed stop . Will take more in depth video when back from the powder coaters and all fixed up.

Sounds like you have all the bases covered. Should be a sweet set up when its finished. Look forward to seeing the pics.

Cheers.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks smart, can't quite work out the extra round hole each side above what I think are jacking points? Your truck and it's lack of proper rear bumper was one of my arguments to myself for not fitting mine so that's blown it for me! What's your plan for tidying up where the body mounted carrier fixed to the rear wing?

Ah, it was always my bugbear and i tried to get by without doing the rear bumper, but just kept nagging me really.
The holes are for lights Jon. LED's will be going in on the rear. Still struggling with a solution for the OEM carrier mounts. A blanking plate and then body painted to match was my idea, so you'd never know, but any other ideas greatly appreciated.

Looks smart, can't quite work out the extra round hole each side above what I think are jacking points?
I had wondered what they were for as well.

Your truck and it's lack of proper rear bumper was one of my arguments to myself for not fitting mine so that's blown it for me!
:icon-biggrin: Another Wildsmith project in the offing? Looking forward to it already.:icon-wink:

It looks very nice and R&D are well regarded when it comes to their work.

Any thought on mounting ideas for a working rear light if you ever want to fit one and i have seen the cb/vhf antenna mounted off the swingouts which takes it out f your line of sight if you currently use the front bumper.

Where is the hi lift going and a mount for your axe, spade and gas bottle if you are going to carry them. Nor sure if you have airlines running to the rear but it migh be worth drilling the holes if you need them.

If i think of anything else i will let you know.

EDIT: Bottle opener?
attachment.php?attachmentid=168049&stc=1&d=1187842773.jpg

Thanks Warren.
HLJ, is a real pain as its such a cumbersome thing, that where ever it goes Im not happy. Still working on that one
Yep airline running to rear sorted
Dont carry gas or use a CB really
My spade is on the front... gonna stay there because everyone laughs and tells me to move it!
Rear work lights... the tailgate lights I installed some time ago give sufficient light at the rear. Not had a need for more rear lighting on any trip yet.
Bottle opener already installed.. a genuine 1950's Coca-cola one too!

Any ideas on what to do with the old OEM mounting points?

That looks really nice and very well made.

OOh mounting for your rear mudflaps if you use them otherwise your nice and new powder coated rear bumper is going to get some nice stone chips.

I would also recommend painting the body below/behind the bumper like i did here with rubber paint:

8057192698_11da72e9f7_z.jpg

And the electric trailer plug mounting point where ever that might be.

Last edited:
Any ideas on what to do with the old OEM mounting points?
You could have a bracket made up to put an antenna or reverse/work light mount where the top bracket goes? Maybe there's some other repurposing that would fit your needs? The bottom mount seems less of a problem to cover up.

You could have a bracket made up to put an antenna or reverse/work light mount where the top bracket goes? Maybe there's some other repurposing that would fit your needs? The bottom mount seems less of a problem to cover up.

I like that Idea Jon... will see whats what.

I'd be interested to know what you used for the swing-out pivots?

My ARB pivot has mashed up. I'm considering opposing tapered roller bearings top & bottom, but mindful that they won't get much movement. Plain bushes may be better, with a top thrust bearing to carry the vert load. The pivot gets a lot of hammer and it's a small point of load on the short pivot axle, as opposed to sharing load between the top & bottom mounts like the OEM did.

Very nice job anyway, how wide will the truck be with both wheels on, will they stay within the vehicle width? My ARB RHS carrier needs moving to the left 100mm, the tyre blocks the RHS rear light cluster too much for my liking, despite having repeaters in the bumper.

Personally, I can't really see the need for gas struts. I have a 37" tyre on the back of mine which is actually more than I can lift - and you know I am a big chap. But one thing that I would not be without is a hold open stop. Opening it isn't the issue, it's stopping it closing and stopping it from opening too far actually. I went for a spring loaded pin locking mechanism and I still say now, I am really really pleased with it. I am not sure about the clamp idea that many seem to be fitted with. If I didn't have the spring bolt, then I'd go with the door latch like the tubular wheel mounts have.

I can't see your end fence mounts in the pics, but I came off the chassis with 6mm steel plate arms and then once I had bent those I went up to 12mm steel plate arms. One schmeck on the rear quarter and it just bent the support. I cut out the rear cross member and replaced it with a girder - but only because I wanted to build in the rear winch as well

P1000792.JPG

Toyota make a step ladder for the 100 series that's bolts to the rear quarter, it's actually just 3 brackets that bolt on.
i will try and find some pics

Olazz

That rear bumper/dual wheel carrier of yours is awesome, no other word for it. The R&D department did a bang up job. But man, I would love to be there to witness when some idiot rear ends you on the queens highway. Oh happy day......

John

Guys I'll take some video of the whole setup when back from powder-coaters so you can have a proper look-see!

Oh and my truck is not a 24V.. the PO stuck that on and I only found out why, when I went to change the clutch. Bought a 12V clutch plate, only to find it needs a clutch plate for a 24V.

Ok here is the finished article. V V V V V pleased with it

IMG_0361.jpg

Pivot and wiring
IMG_0371.jpg

Zero flex at pivot
IMG_0372.jpg

Opens nice and wide
IMG_0373.jpg

LED's & air
IMG_0375.jpg

Stoppers , locks and recovery
IMG_0376.jpg