Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The development build continues

That looks very cool! What is it? (That I have circled)

ld.jpg

Oh, truck looks lekke as well...

What stops the theft of the spare tyres?

Nothing yet! Working on it as the special keyed nuts are quite easy to remove. (the tool is pretty easy to get)
Got a cunning plan forming though.

Damn that's a thing.

C

That looks very nice.

Anything other than lock nuts/ keyed nuts. I have yet to see one that can't be easily removed without the real key. And i'm not a car thief by the way, I'm just the sort of person who can't find his mobile most days without ringing it from the landline! So you can imagine how little chance there is of me finding a lock nut key!! g I would think that a bar locked across the two wheels would be a great job, it would also provide great extra security for the rear door. And be very easy to fabricate?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Problem is that you have to balance security with function. If you are in and out of the back every two minutes like I am, that would drive me nuuuuuuuttttttts. If you are hoofing across the open savannah, who the hell is going to nick them? When you pull into a town for a shower and something to eat, that's when they'll get pinched. So maybe it's something that you do then. I'd chain a wolf to the back door. That's sort the buggers.

It would be intersting to build a carrier where the wheel fits on the inside of the arm. Then you could lock the arm. You wouldn't be able to get to the wheel then.

Hmm, ideas forming...

Chris

Thought. You can still lock the arm, but have a disc over the wheel centre that has to be accessed with the carrier open.

It would be intersting to build a carrier where the wheel fits on the inside of the arm. Then you could lock the arm. You wouldn't be able to get to the wheel then.

Like mine then? I'd post a pic, but bit tricky from the ipad....

Looks good Lazz. I always wondered how practical having a whell on the roof actually was...... Those wheels can be bloody heavy

I've got my spare secured by a circular 9ltr fuel can that would normally fit inside the spare in the boot of a BMW. I fitted a large threaded rod (can't remember the size) which is fixed to the inside of the spare wheel carrier then the fuel can is slotted over the aforementioned rod then a padlock through a hole drilled in the rod, which secures the spare and the fuel can. I hope that all makes sense, the pic might make it clearer. The picture is the only one I could find and has been greatly enlarged which account for the fuzziness.:oops:

33.jpg

Last edited:
It looks the business all right -how heavy is it? I'm a bit of a weight anorak and always wonder how much these add to the truck, If all goes to plan think I'll go for Alu when I eventually get around to making my own someday

Olazz that looks fab, they have done an excellent job, you must be grinning from ear to ear! I like that they have added rubber seal to the bumper/body joint, the thread protectors covering the fixings and finally that you were able to retain the factory mud flaps. I much prefer when this is possible as it keeps the wheel arch/body lines looking as they should.

To secure the spare wheels, I'd be tempted to use a plastic coated steel cable threaded through the wheel and holes in the wheel carrier arm, with the padlock inside the well of the wheel. I'd do this on each side and then have a third cable and padlock so that I could lock the two spare wheels together in the closed position if leaving the vehicle for a long period, or in a dodgy area. The visual deterrent is usually enough, and both wheels locked together adds another layer of security to the rear storage area, if I remember rightly you have a load guard, so if people wanted to access your boot they'd have to go through the back. Just a thought.

Top job!

I use a hardened plastic coated motorbike security chain and padlock to secure the wheel to carrier the way Scott suggests and a long plastic coated steel cable with a sliding lock on it to secure the carrier to the tailgate when parking it up somewhere dodgy.

Like mine then? I'd post a pic, but bit tricky from the ipad....

I like the sound of Chris' idea and I was disappointed that Justin couldn't upload a photo... Maybe in time he will be able to!

My ARB is off at the moment having a refurb, but I rely on the blank-nut hex-head "key" type of thingy deterrent. It would be hard to convert the ARB to Chris' idea, but I'm interested anyway...

what a cool piece of work this carrier is, the more I look at it the better it gets!

I think this is Justin's? Taken from the garage thread in his sig :whistle:

IMG_2251.jpg

There you go!

Nice one Jon, that's what I had in my brain box.

C

Sorry guys been out today running around with SARS customs...oh what a joy!

It looks the business all right -how heavy is it?
Dont know the exact weight, but I've removed rear bumper, +Reese receiver + highlift jack + OEM swing arm... replaced with spare + bumper. Gotta be 100kg+ so have uprated springs to 700kgs

Looks good Lazz. I always wondered how practical having a whell on the roof actually was...... Those wheels can be bloody heavy
As I soon found out TP not practical at all! each wheel 47kgs! weighed them today!

I can't see your end fence mounts in the pics
CJ, Ive taken a pic of the fence mounts for you, you'll like them; but This Is Africa and I'm having problems with uploading stuff at the moment.

I have taken video of the truck inside and out but taking about 7 hours to load, so will wait till I'm home.

Cant see much in the Pic Jon, so not sure I get the idea... but then I am a little slow!

That is a first class job! Very nice indeed.

That looks very nice.

I think I see the solution :icon-ugeek: what about if the mounting plate were mounted in reverse so that the nuts face inwards and can only be undone when the wheel has been swung out. The locking pins get modified to take the padlock

Back