Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The dreaded ticking noise.

If you DID have a BEB tick it would get worse very quickly. Someone I know had tick to doom in 10 miles. If your tick has been there a long time it won't be a BEB.

The tappets.....these tick if they are too loose but close up somewhat when engine gets hot. If the tick came on suddenly it won't be a tappet.

The sizes are marked on the shells.

The bebs cab last for ages as well though frank whilst ticking.

The tick is a common thing with the 24v.ive heard mixed reasons for it though.

whithout hearing it i wouldnt advise either way to be honest.

The bebs are always my first call for the piece of mind. 12 or 24v we dont know what the internals are like.

When i had my 80 i had the tick, changed the BEB's & no difference, what i did discover though was if i used 15/40 oil it ticked, use 10/40 it didn't, !!!!!!!!!!!!

Mines ticked for as long as i can remember. No ones ever really come up with a definitive answer as to what causes it.
Its the nature of the beast..

ime big end bearings knock rather than tick.

Anyone who states a cruiser 4.2 diesel lump knocks and doesnt tick has never heard one just before they let go. Most of the time they start as a faint top end sound if your lucky. If you not lucky its just knock knock knock and game over. New crank and con rods.

The amount of times ive heard machanics give advice to people that the bebs are fine when they are actually at the beginning stages of letting go is unreal. If more people would read the info on tbe bebs there would be far more trucks on the roads today.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The fact that in most cases a bloody oil change starts this shit is so fustrating, id see through it if the oil was like thick tar and not looked about, but its changed every 5000 miles.

Going to mechcanic this week and goin to drop the sump and get a good visual in there.

Next question are milner bearings ACL?

Milner arnt acl no.

I know a good few people who have used their bearings though and ive not heard any horror stories. Personally i would only go acl.

The dreaded tick happens with other engines as well. Morris 803 cc was my most worked on engine in late 50's. It starts with a just audible tick then if not treated becomes a heavy mechanical knock. At this stage it's a scrap crank and rod/s. Now this is a petrol engine so that tick and knock are only coming from bottom end. No piston hitting valves. Karl.what is the initial tick on the early diesel is it bearing tick or the beginnings of the piston hitting the vales?

Thanks for confirming frank.

I dont actually know if im honest.im only a thick brickie remember.

The ones ive heard (a fair few) have always sounded like a head noise.
Later they end up letting go.

Im not saying that every tap is bebs. What im saying is,the faint noise a few hear isnt always something minor.

A choice for any of us to just leave it is our own choice. We shouldnt be advising other people that its fine when we havnt heard it or better still have never heard the noise that you get before the bebs let go.

With one of my first trucks i was going down the a50 at aroubd 65. Engine was one of the sweetest ive heard.

All of a sudden i heard the faint noise. I thought to myself that it sounded like a hot exhaust. Within few seconds the truck cut out. Opened the engine and the crank was too far gone. No knocking from the engine at all.

That was before i went on the forums etc. It cost me a lot of money. Just wish i had read the info.

So now i try to save people an engine.

With one of my first trucks i was going down the a50 at aroubd 65. Engine was one of the sweetest ive heard.

All of a sudden i heard the faint noise. I thought to myself that it sounded like a hot exhaust. Within few seconds the truck cut out. Opened the engine and the crank was too far gone. No knocking from the engine at all.

That was before i went on the forums etc. It cost me a lot of money. Just wish i had read the info.

So now i try to save people an engine.
Pm me a price for bearings man before i need an engine lol

Yeah but i dont want to be shaking hands with a conrod either lol

Wise choice but don't forget to get you numbers first as you don't want to fit the incorrect sized bearings! Good if your existing set is no4 like the acl's are. The shells from toyota are around £169 and bolts are £90 inc forum discount, but Simon Holton was very careful in making sure the correct set was chosen! Acl's were correct for mine! So just bought the bolts and genuine oil filter from Toyota.

nor should we presume someone doesn't know what bebs sound like on there way out. ive had three Vauxhall 16 valve red tops let go on me before. ive also seen my father, who is a retired old school mechanic, nurse many a knocking motor into the garage for a strip down.
there is a lad around here who insisted on driving his 80 with bearing knock, he drove it to destruction, lasted about a month.

I also changed mine on my 80 when I heard the faint start of a knock when driving close to a wall etc. I used taiho bearings, I have well over 100000 miles on them now, I think the companys turnover was in excess of 40 billion dollars last year..
didn't a Chinese company buy out ACL?
when I changed the bearings the slight knock went away but the ticking was still there. a bearing noise will also go up and down with engine revs, the ticking doesn't, it sort of gets drowned out by the sound of the engine.

you will never settle now and be aware of every little engine noise, so I would change them. especially when its a couple of hours work and the whole lot can be done for about £85.

frank there is a train of thought that the top end ticking can be caused by a drop of oil pressure that the worn bearings have caused.

Karls made the right call. Change them. I also have a 24 valve and changed mine even when there was no ticking. It's a horrible job. Are you doing it yourself Lexie?

My 24v also has a faint ticking noise for the last 1.5 year / 25000km, it goes up and down with engine RPM, sometimes it's louder, sometimes it is faint, sometimes it is simply gone... I've been thinking of it for one and a half year now and I cannot find a answer to what it could be, as there is no logic to it.
It sounds a bit like a bad ball bearing that ticks/grinds. I think it could also be in the torque converter aswell.
I use Shell Rimula R6 10W40.
I haven't changed the BEB's as I need my 80 every day, and I was told indeed to remove the sump, undo all the bearing caps one by one and write down the numbers and then order the correct bearing shells, and I simply do not have the time for now to do all this work 2 times.
A reputable diesel shop over here that has lots of expierience with these engines since they came out when new told me that IF you hear BEBs knocking you already are a bit late, and it is just a matter of days untill it is game over.

Back