Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The illusive viscous unit - whats inside then?.........

Cptsideways

Garage
Having removed a seized up viscous unit, my inquiring mind got the better of me & my alter ego Cptanglegrinder comes to fore :D

It's a completely sealed unit, there are two ball bearings on one face that are obviously the fill points for the goo inside. It's a fairly solid lump, about 10kg's & has two neat seam welds all the way round its circumfrence.

Now not knowing what was in there & if it was under pressure I went in fully armed, googles, mask, gloves & carefully started & carefully with a slim grinding disc ground into the weld line on one side. The wall thickness is about 6mm.

Eventually worked out its a castlelated fitment for the end plate & prized it open...... no goo came oozing out...

Whats inside then??

Well hundreds (yes hundreds) of super slim lsd syle clutch pack type discs, layered up alternating between input & output. Between them is some black goo thats has the consistency of soft cheese. Its not runny at all. These clutch packs have frictions marks & obvious wear marks on them.

IMAGE_023.jpg

IMAGE_024.jpg

So if you have an 80 post 93 I think with one, DO NOT use odd sized tyres, as this will get fried for sure. There is nowhere for the heat build up to go as its so thickly walled. It's easy to remove with the back of the transfer case out & the car will drive quite normally without it. Its not a direct drive more an intermediate drive coupling.

Here's a couple more pics of the complete assembly giving some idea of the number of friction plates
IMAGE_027.jpg

IMAGE_028.jpg

Hi,

Images are not showing to me on "dropbox"

G.

Showin ok here :thumbup:

doesn't look much though ...Forgive my ignorance ... but what's it for :oops: :oops:

Viscous coupling from the transfer box, splits power between rear & front axle as required by the road surface conditions.

Dave Docwra said:
Viscous coupling from the transfer box, splits power between rear & front axle as required by the road surface conditions.

oh .... do i have one in my 78 ??

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Red Oktober said:
[quote="Dave Docwra":1agux8bj]Viscous coupling from the transfer box, splits power between rear & front axle as required by the road surface conditions.

oh .... do i have one in my 78 ??[/quote:1agux8bj]

I'm not sure if they do, only later post 93 80's had them & no doubt 120's etc.

Cptsideways said:
Between them is some black goo thats has the consistency of soft cheese. Its not runny at all.
That explains why the unit seized then ;) As you say, I'm sure heat kills them in the end.

Back