Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The next forum bargain (Maybe)

Bat21 said:
I ordered 4 and 3 arrived today in 3 separate packages :doh:

Mine where individually packaged / posted but all arrived together, maybe the other will arrive Monday, or the postman may have nicked it. :mrgreen:

I bought mine from the first seller mentioned here and I'm still waiting for them to arrive, probably on that slow boat from China :lol:
Chas

I made the mistake of showing the Mrs the lights while in the kitchen last night.... "oh those would look nice hidden under the wall units" was the reply :doh:

Time to order some more then I guess.

That's where two of mine are going Paul. (you may need a special LED transformer btw)

If anyones interested, I tested one today and they draw 400 mA, so ~ 5 watts not bad at all for the light output.

Bat21 said:
Oooer, nice idea.

One can never have enough ill loomy nation so.... just ordered 4 too :thumbup:

Lighting around the rear tailgate 'table' is one thing we missed on this years trip so, I was planning on adding some lights there... nice find :thumbup:
Bugger :doh:

I left these in their packaging as I had other jobs to do on the LC late last year.

Just opened them up today and uncoiled them...... they had all 'set' in their coiled up state and snapped when I unwound them :doh: so that's why they were so cheap :D

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
With all this talk of extra lights to light the tailgate area etc, I thought it might be a good idea to fit one underneath the bonnet for working in the engine area, so I bought one of these, it was advertised as a car interior light, so I thought that'll do the job, but I didn't realise how big it was :shock:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SA:GB:1123

6000003.jpg

it has 36 LED's with a switch on the left hand side, I could rival Blackpool illuminations with this. :lol: I might have to blank some off I think.

Blimey Chas, anyone would think you own an LR and are under there every five minutes with that much light :mrgreen:

"Just opened them up today and uncoiled them...... they had all 'set' in their coiled up state and snapped when I unwound them :doh: so that's why they were so cheap :D"

I ordered some last week - they arrived in post today.
I put them on windowsill in sunshine - yes sun is shining for once! and they have softened and easy to manipulate
so maybe a bit of heat is required before uncoiling or moving them.

6000003.jpg

it has 36 LED's with a switch on the left hand side, I could rival Blackpool illuminations with this. :lol: I might have to blank some off I think.

Chas, have you hooked it up yet? How bright is it? I'm looking for something that will light the back of my truck that is V bright.

Olazz said:
6000003.jpg
Chas, have you hooked it up yet? How bright is it? I'm looking for something that will light the back of my truck that is V bright.
Not yet, it's on that long list I have of 'Jobs to be done' that is growing ever-longer :oops: but I have 'flashed' it across the battery and while it is too bright for the inside, I think :think: it will be fine for under the bonnet and for the back of your truck

Thanks Chas, I'll give them a try

I couldn't use the lights that started this thread, the dog would eat them. These are the caravan lights I put in my upper tailgate instead. Don't know how much they should have been (mine were free from Ray :) ) or where you can get them except they're from a caravan, but I thought I'd post anyway incase it gives someone ideas :)

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

Jon,

I like that idea, very neat... any idea on rating / current draw?

I haven't measured the current draw but I will do. There are 24 led's in each unit, there's no rating information on them but they're pretty bright, one on it's own would be ok but 2 is better.

Jon Wildsmith said:
I couldn't use the lights that started this thread, the dog would eat them. These are the caravan lights I put in my upper tailgate instead. Don't know how much they should have been (mine were free from Ray :) ) or where you can get them except they're from a caravan, but I thought I'd post anyway incase it gives someone ideas :)

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

John,

Where did you take power from, the wiper motor?
What is the green blob? Switch?

I wanted to do the same thing using the same lights that Chas bought but couldn't find any obvious wiring to power the lights. Also wanted to add a manual switch.

I had a look in my local caravan shop & they had LED lamps like that for around £15 a set but they were fixed - are yours adjustable Jon? They look like they might be...

If I go for them, I reckon I'll wire them in off the leisure battery unless there's an easier way :cool:

Cheers

I ran a power wire from my aux fuse box in the rear of the truck, through the OEM rubber conduit into the tailgate and through the tailgate structure with the OEM wires. It was a bit of a fiddle but just needed a bit of patience. The green blob is a rocker switch that was handy, came with some spot lights I think. The lights just go on and off with the switch, nice and simple, no connection to have them only come one when the tailgate is open or anything fancy like that :)

They're fixed not adjustable so what you've seen could be the same Gav. There's no makers name or anything helpful like that on mine :(

Nice one Jon - they sound vay similar then... I'm not looking forward to trying to thread the cable through though... :roll: :lol:

Back