Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thought I'd make my own adventure trailer...

Mine has that but I took it off. Might come in handy I guess. I have seen someone doing a Metalian road train with 2 trailers. I have to be honest and say at that point I'd probably just by a motor-home

In SA you used to be able to tow 2 trailers in convoy. Thankfully they have stopped this now. Only lorrys now can have 2 Trailers

In SA you used to be able to tow 2 trailers in convoy. Thankfully they have stopped this now. Only lorrys now can have 2 Trailers

Pity, my step father used to tow the speed boat behind the caravan, the tow vehicle was a VW micro bus converted to Ford 3.0 V6 on a Porshe 944 gearbox, that was a phenomenal tow vehicle.

Mine has moved on a bit today. went to collect my nose cone. Jon had two others in his barn. A Midi and a Maxi both on gunmetal grey. His Maxi is off the scale. What a thing. I want I want I want...
He's the nose cone on.

Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 18.39.50.jpg

Added another drawer today. Got Shane my local fabber to make one. Virtually did it on the spot. He's a good chap. Refitted the table too. Man that's slick now.

Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 18.32.00.jpg

Then for a laugh I took a wheel and tyre off the green one and stuck it on. Hmm, I have to do this. I really like the look of that.

Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 18.32.12.jpg

What size tyres were on it before Chris?

Going to post a funny intro in to my new trailer in a mo.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
215.105.15 Bit weedy. These are 275. 70. 16 and they rub on the dampers. I could add spacers but then I'd get stuff sprayed up the trailer. Need some 255.18.16 really. They'd be perfect. With spacers

Little bit of an update here. When I got the Ezi RTT, it came with a downstairs. On the trailer, the tent simply isn't high enough to deploy it. Being as I'm from Yorkshire and tight, I wanted to use is. I hatched a plan to get the tent up in the air when needed. Now I don't think I'll use it that often but for those times when it's miserable and you just need some shelter ...
Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 10.14.43.jpg

So how did I do it? Easy actually. I mounted the tent on 4 scissor jacks. Hit them with the electric drill and the windy tool that came with the jacks and up it goes. It is secured into the original channel in the same was as the hold down brackets that came with it.

Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 10.14.31.jpg

It doesn't add any height to it either when stowed. It might look a little strange but it works. It also has the spin off benefit that you can adjust the level of the tent if you're parked on uneven ground or if you like your head higher than your feet when sleeping

Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 10.15.05.jpg

wot a great idea! I guess you could use them for leveling out on uneven ground too :)

Yes, but only if I flip the trailer upside down.

Actually I have been looking at trailer legs. These wind down things that prevent tipping and lift the trailer up. Thing is there's just no where to fit them

Those bars look pretty strong. How does it flex when you do one jack at a time? Or do you need to walk around a few times, doing an inch or two at a time?

Great idea though.

Yes, but only if I flip the trailer upside down.

Actually I have been looking at trailer legs. These wind down things that prevent tipping and lift the trailer up. Thing is there's just no where to fit them

lol, I meant for the bed - the trailer can be at any old angle :)
Ours doesnt have any legs at all - just the jockey wheel out front. We have both been in it (the RTT) and moving around and it didnt budge - wasnt even connected to the truck! I can stand on the back of it to reach up to grab the top of the tent and it doesnt tip up & I'm around 20 stones! (I know diet soon)

I know what you meant Steve. I was trying to be polite and not say 'Steve put your glasses on. That's exactly what I said in the post!" Ha.

I went up into the tent with it raised and it was totally fine. So that's good.

KB there is a little play in the joints etc and the mounts but yes, it's case of doing a bit on one at a time. When we do this for real, I'll have two winder handles and we'll do opposites at the same time then swap to the adjacent, then back again. Count to 5 swap, count to 5 swap - you get the drill. Drill, ha ha.

Because the wheels are set so far back on this, most of the tent is within the wheelbase. With the batteries up front, I can hang off the wheel carrier and it doesn't tip. This is why I decided to go off the side with the tent rather than over the back door.

Nice bit of lateral thinking there Chris, you now have a roof tent penthouse.

Thanks Chas. Next mod is to find 4 12v motors that can be used to drive them all at the same time.

There are motorised versions available I believe. Also motorised rams such as are used for satellite dishes. What you could do is to link the screws of each pair together with a toothed belt, though it would probably need doing within some box section to be neat and not jump off. Then you would have a two and two method of levelling (as the jockey wheel would account for levelling the other way).

Whoa Rich! The idea here is that it's supposed to be simple, reliable and robust. Toothed belt ????
No. Cool your jets dude.

I do already have two planes that the tent can be adjusted. There's 4 jacks. I can lower one corner alone by around 4" and don't forget that the trailer can be turned through 360 degrees to use the jockey wheel to level it.
I've never been on a camp site that wasn't flat enough to begin with.

Let's not over think this one, eh.

Ok no problem, stick to the motors idea, that'll be much simpler. :icon-biggrin:

Actually Rich, I think I'll stick to the cranky handle thing.

How about a manual winch to do the lifting and an adjustable prop each corner to level things up .

Back