Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Thought I'd make my own adventure trailer...

That looks very nicely poised behind the Cruiser.

Sits absolutely level Chas. Thought I might need to lift with wheels and tyres but no. I do have some 80 alloys and have thought about putting those on for the Mmmnn factor.

Sits absolutely level Chas. Thought I might need to lift with wheels and tyres but no. I do have some 80 alloys and have thought about putting those on for the Mmmnn factor.

Yes Chris, if I ever get a trailer it will most definitely have to have matching wheels and boots.

you gonna have to raise the suspension and add spacers to match your setup mate, i bought mine with custom setup from Metalian. You can see it in their website.

Nice little trailer and quite good specs.

Need to figure out what I'm doing with my trailer (likely selling it after our long trip)
20150605_102255 (Small).jpg20150605_122348 (Small).jpg20150710_170627 (Small).jpg20150821_132939 (Small).jpg20150605_122557 (Small).jpg
50+g water tank, 12v 550cca, 200w solar, large CVT Jefferson tent + enclosed annex, 80 wheels/MT +same tracking, 110v inverter + USB, braked, hydraulic up/down on tent platform allows for extra storage underneath, side hinged cover, based on 85 Toyota pickup
Pics are from Peru + Salt Flats in Bolivia

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not much to show yet, but been as busy as a busy thing. Done some rewiring and re-plumbed the whole thing. Just finding bodge after bodge in places. Not a reflection on the original builders, just previous owner I think. Clips missing, leaks, shoddy wiring splices and so on. Lots to do. Got new inverter today, sorting 240v hook up and gas water heater. Ordered some nice custom made storage gear from SA. Sorted the gas out too. Found the reg full of water. New reg on and I can actually boil a kettle at last. Got to get cracking as I plan to use it at Easter. Needed to drill some drain holes in it as it was getting wet in there and there was nowhere to let the water out.

Sorry about the disappointing lack of progress on this one. I have spent hours on it so far but it's really mundane stuff. Got the last of the crap build out of there today. Sliding shelves made from shuttering ply? WTF? Anyway. Got the new inverter in but didn't get the 240v hook up sorted as Postie came when I was out yesterday and didn't leave the consumer unit. Dang.

Now it's a big thing I know, but there's room. It was a mm perfect fit. Couldn't believe my luck actually. So why fit an inverter? Have I ever really used the one in the truck? Nope. But it's there. There's two huge AGM deep cycle batteries in there so it'll have enough reserve. I was going to go Pure Sine wave but given the limited use and the fact it'll run most things, I saved a heap of cash. It's also up above the water line unlike the previous ill-fated unit.

Screen Shot 2016-03-06 at 17.51.22.jpg

I got the secondary water pump in too. Not wired yet, but that's just a question of two connections as the wiring's already there. This gives me separate pumps for the tap and the water heater. They're both on demand units so when you turn the water off the pump stops.

Screen Shot 2016-03-06 at 17.55.52.jpg

You can't see the other pump because it's under that metal tray in the stupidest of places. Lord know why they put it there. I've cut a piece out with a large snorkel cutter so that I can reach it now.

I then pondered the corners of the trailer. I caught the current wife standing on them the other day and I had an idea. I cut some plate to stick on.

Screen Shot 2016-03-06 at 17.59.21.jpg

Which looked ok. But then I thought, hang on, let's make it a detail feature and ...

Screen Shot 2016-03-06 at 18.01.25.jpg

Did them all in black to contrast. Need to make it look a bit less like an ice cream van. I did wonder what it would look like towed behind a white 80.

Need to get the utilities sorted first really then I can start on the slide out drawers and so on.

Cheers Gerry. Still quite some way to go. I'm thinking up some sort of small drawer system at present. Aircraft style latching pull-outs with handy stuff in. Ordered a new water boiler last night. Should be a perfect fit in the kitchen section. Got to work out storage of things like pots and pans. Biggest issue at the second is extra long runner so that the fridge pulls out far enough. Runners aren't the problem - it's the width of the runner that's the problem. If I use longer ones, they get wider and that means the fridge tray is too wide and would need re making. As it's in stainless that's going to be a pain. I'd like to swap it round to come out the other side and put more runners in for a new fridge tray.

It's a bit of a jigsaw puzzle.

Water otter came today. Off e-bay from Bremen in Germanyland. Came toutsweet too I can tell you. Bargain. Does it work? Scalded cats, yes. Straight out of the box. I'm using a 12 v pump and the flow is enough for a shower if you wanted but I am plumbing mine into a mixer tap for washing and washing up. I have a shower in the truck of course. Water on, tick tick tick, woomph, 5 seconds later really hot water. I like it so far and the dang mounting holes line up with those in the trailer backboard. At last, a lucky break. Yes, it will be straight when it's in properly. Sheesh. It's actually better than my Kampa hot water cube, so far anyway.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121271443...1&exe=12792&ext=32582&sojTags=exe=exe,ext=ext

Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 18.30.07.jpg

Could do with one of those for washing the horses :lol: How loud is the burner?

Jon the burner is silent but it makes a sort of pump noise which I don't understand yet
It sound just like the 12v pump running but inside the tank
Not had chance to play really
You might've better with the slightly larger version

interesting, I'd assumed if there was noise it would be the burner. Not sure I'm serious but people do sell kits based on this sort of heater for washing off muddy horses in the colder months ...

Had a good day in the sunshine today. Got quite a bit done although not much to show you.

Fitted the new extended length sliders today so that the fridge actually opens. Who the heck fits sliders that don't allow the fridge lid to go up all the way? Bonkers. New power point for that wired in too.

Screen Shot 2016-03-12 at 18.53.10.jpg

I've put the NL fridge freezer into the trailer. I just don't like it as much as the Waeco. So the CF40 is back in the cruiser. Makes sense I guess having this one in the tag-along.

Then I plumbed in and wired up the new gas boiler. I've put a pick up already I know. Took the gas through the body and T'd into the bottle line.

Screen Shot 2016-03-12 at 18.57.38.jpg
Nice tight fit with the grommet. Needed some 'lube' to get the hose through. That shouldn't leak water. Pump all wired into the panel and water connected to the unit.

Tick tick wumph again and hot water straight away. Now I have to say the unit does kick out some heat. It really does. I didn't think it would get that hot in the trailer. I am going to have to do something about that. IF run for a short time it's OK. But run it for a few minutes and you can't touch the trailer roof. And that's with the deflector shield on. I'll have to either fit some sort of flue, vent or put some asbestos - sorry, man made mineral fibre up top.

Actually felt like I was getting somewhere today and I've a whole day to go at tomoz.

Spent hours not getting very far.

Mounted the external power hook up

Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 19.50.48.jpg

Got the consumer unit in

Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 19.51.02.jpg

Managed to screw up the changeover switch so need to start that one again. This will swap between hook up power and the inverter. Yes it bloody will.

Got some storage boxes to fit at B&Q

Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 19.51.12.jpg

Fitted the tap so now I have hot and cold water on demand.

Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 19.51.21.jpg

looking good Chris, I'm really glad you're building something again. Can't keep re-reading the Ghost build over and over.

Back