Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Till the wheels fall off !!

I managed to get away with it with a lesso. Learnt. I'll check studs with pressures periodically.
Next question is ... with only 3 k on the existing discs and pads do I change one side or both of the discs ??

I would say just the one disc, theoretically you would then have spare pads for just in case.

I had a close call in February of this year, left home at three am heading for Germany and Hungary, truck did not feel right so I was taking it easy while trying to work out what was bugging me, just past J27 of the M25 I got a sudden noise and vibration, promptly pulled over and stopped, (very gently) found 3 wheel nuts with studs next to the o/s/f wheel and one behind the truck, never found the 5th one, wheel was still on the hub with just one nut and stud holding it, felt seriously lucky I have to admit, while waiting for recovery I went around the truck with a socket checking the nuts on the other wheels, all lose bar one or two nuts per wheel.

Because it was February I had put a set of new tyres on the alloys removing my steel rims a week before departure along with new pads and a full service, the day before we were due to set off I went around the truck checking everything and the wheel nuts were all tight.

I surmised at the time that the early departure disturbed the low lives that were attempting to relive me of my rims and new tyres.

That was certainly a close call and I can only thank the stars we all drive tough reliable vehicles.

holy crap @hopeless wanderer!!! Glad to hear things ended without much more drama.

By all the comments it would appear that miscreant attempting to make of with wheels is fairly common.

I have had it happen twice in 15 years of living in the UK, never had it happen in 12 years of driving in RSA, and yet I feel safer in the UK.

That says something and I am not sure just what that is, .........

Truely shocking in all accounts. In these moments thankfully your all ok to reflect upon the seriousness of what could have been!

Miracle comes to mind.

Well after a trip to London in a Peugeot I'm back and Brenda is fine
Disc swapped all bolts checked and torqued to spec and some of those yellow torque markers that HGV's use are on the way.
So it'll be part of the pre use checks to make sure all the markers are ok

image.jpeg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Lucky...

A few years back I was bombing along a B road in an old Series 3 Landy I had, next thing a wheel and tyre overtook me - I had a split second to wonder "where the XXXX did that come from" before the back end of the truck touched down. Drove it to the side of the road on the drum without any drama... but the wheel had cleared a hedge then ran down hill across 2 fields. I had to roll the bloody thing about half a mile back to the road.

As with some of the posts above, I can only assume someone was messing with them. At the time the truck was parked out of sight of my house much of the time at night...

Lucky...

A few years back I was bombing along a B road in an old Series 3 Landy I had, next thing a wheel and tyre overtook me - I had a split second to wonder "where the XXXX did that come from" before the back end of the truck touched down. Drove it to the side of the road on the drum without any drama... but the wheel had cleared a hedge then ran down hill across 2 fields. I had to roll the bloody thing about half a mile back to the road.

As with some of the posts above, I can only assume someone was messing with them. At the time the truck was parked out of sight of my house much of the time at night...

A runaway wheel is a dangerous thing, there's loads of youtoob vids showing the damage they can do, especially a decent sized truck wheel. You were both lucky in that respect too.

I had a trailer wheel come off due to a failed bearing, one time years ago, and I chased down a hill and managed to deflect it off the line of the road and it ended up hitting a roadside tree, bouncing alarmingly back the way it had come, but that absorbed a lot of its energy.

That was a close call too, they can write off a car, or as you implied, kill someone like a pedestrian.

I had a trailer wheel come off due to a failed bearing, one time years ago, and I chased down a hill and managed to deflect it off the line of the road and it ended up hitting a roadside tree, bouncing alarmingly back the way it had come, but that absorbed a lot of its energy.

That was a close call too, they can write off a car, or as you implied, kill someone like a pedestrian.

I was so relived that it didn't jump the central reservation that would have been catastrophic for the oncoming traffic Grateful that it's just a lesson learnt and an inconvenience rather than a tragedy.
Check your nuts guys .... Both sets

Uhuh, video not available sadly, however this one is.
Still scary just how quickly it all goes wrong.

Uhuh, video not available sadly, however this one is.
Still scary just how quickly it all goes wrong.

Strange, I've just this second watched it... I'll check the link this end, perhaps it's a "country" thing...

Couple of things spring to mind here before I go and check my nuts…:flushed:

We've just had quite a drop in temperature and alluminium expands and contracts at almost twice the rate of steel. In other words, if torqued in the winter there will be additional stresses on the bolts on a hot day and if torqued in the summer the nuts would be less tight on a cold winters day.
Maybe temperature is the wheel thief? Don't know, but I'm out to check mine this morning.

I used to check for tightness after long descents, when everything had cooled off a bit. Without an exhaust brake, the front drums would get cherry red at times and sometimes I’d have to snug up a loose nut or two. In days of yore, some nearside studs and nuts were left handed to counteract rotational forces.

Years ago, I was at the back of a line of traffic near Karlsruhe doing about 45ish when a US army truck coming the other way lost a split ring. The ring and outer rim hit a couple of cars, the tyre hit one and luckily bounced off to the side. Quite a bit of damage, but thankfully no one badly hurt, could have been a lot worse.

I used to check for tightness after long descents, when everything had cooled off a bit. Without an exhaust brake, the front drums would get cherry red at times and sometimes I’d have to snug up a loose nut or two. In days of yore, some nearside studs and nuts were left handed to counteract rotational forces.

Years ago, I was at the back of a line of traffic near Karlsruhe doing about 45ish when a US army truck coming the other way lost a split ring. The ring and outer rim hit a couple of cars, the tyre hit one and luckily bounced off to the side. Quite a bit of damage, but thankfully no one badly hurt, could have been a lot worse.

Yep, I remember the rule then from my father's 1947 Morris Commercial, 5 studs, RH threads on the right, LH threads on the left.

I don't know if it made any real difference.

Always imagined that if the nuts came loose, the counter direction thread might stop the nuts undoing enough to lose a wheel, but they fall off on the RH side as well, so that kinda kills that theory.

I've always greased my nuts (often against a faction of advice) and I've never lost a wheel due to the nuts coming undone. I also never crank them up with anything more than the Toyota supplied lever, using my foot and my silf-like body weight for the last 1/4 turn. (I've never bothered torquing them).

I have steel wheels and cone nuts and I grease the cones too.

This is just my way, so please don't copy me and come crying that I'm wrong, but it's never let me down.

I'm convinced that 90% of wheels are over tightened, we have 5 or 6 on our trucks, and there's no reason why they need to be at 200ft/lb as I've found them on other cars on many occasions.

The stress on a stud is huge when you use a long bar or high torque, and I can think of no other reason why studs would shear off other than over tightening, JMHO

Back