Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tilt test

Cliffy

Country Flag
great_britain
Hello All

Out of slightly more than morbid curiosity, I wanted to get my 47 crew cab on a tilt test platform to see how far, fully loaded, it could go before rolling. However, I've just gotten the proposed cost of this back and, if you are curious to know, the fee for this would be £2,210!

I shall not be doing it, not least because even if the vehicle managed a good angle before rolling, the chances are that I'd fall over at the bill!

If I decide to blow a couple of thousand I shall let you know the outcome!

Cheers guys

Cliffy

Something like that is done scientifically Cliffy. You could no doubt do it yourself somewhat cheaper. However, why not contact Toyota for their official figures? They must have done the test in the first place. They will also probably state maximum safe angles in the manual which will of course have a good safety margin factored in.

Hi Thanks for your feedback, appreciated. Yes, I've no doubt they do it well - as a scientist myself I can appreciate the precision used. My understanding (more from rumour than anything) is that the 40s will go to 46 degrees - which is very good. However, I have a crew cab version, which is highly modified from original troopy-style and much heavier. Plus I wanted to load both racks and tray etc to get it at it's 'worst' if you see what I mean, and I doubt anyone has dome this before.

Hi cliffy

I would be happy to do the tilt test for you for £1000 although there is no responsibility if there is damage I am afraid.

Stu

Hi Stu

Good to hear from you. I'll think on it!

Cheers for now

Cliffy

I suppose a strap to the roof rack with a hefty stilliard in line, give it a pull with something with a winch and have someone monitor the weight on the stilliard.

Going very slowly, when that gets down to a couple of kg, it must be time to measure the angle and let it return to safety.

It's risky whatever, I suppose you could tie the other side if the roof rack to something solid, to stop it going right over if the one monitoring the stilliard dozes off.

You'll tell me now you don't have a roof rack, if not then go for Plan B.

£2,210 ?? What's scientific about measuring something with a protractor? Anything more accurate than that would be a waste of time, in the circumstances. Bring it here on holiday in August and well have fun rigging it up between a couple of trees, I'll get the winch and the BBQ going we can and drink some beers.

All yours free of charge, but bring you're own protractor, I have a spirit level in the shed.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I suppose a strap to the roof rack with a hefty stilliard in line, give it a pull with something with a winch and have someone monitor the weight on the stilliard.

Going very slowly, when that gets down to a couple of kg, it must be time to measure the angle and let it return to safety.

It's risky whatever, I suppose you could tie the other side if the roof rack to something solid, to stop it going right over if the one monitoring the stilliard dozes off.

You'll tell me now you don't have a roof rack, if not then go for Plan B.

£2,210 ?? What's scientific about measuring something with a protractor? Anything more accurate than that would be a waste of time, in the circumstances. Bring it here on holiday in August and well have fun rigging it up between a couple of trees, I'll get the winch and the BBQ going we can and drink some beers.

All yours free of charge, but bring you're own protractor, I have a spirit level in the shed.
Yeah, we can have some fun there Clive, should be able to do it with trigonometry, tie a plumb line to the roof rack tilt over and measure how far the line moves from the base of the truck.

Hi Clive

Good to hear from you, and thanks for your ideas.

First, yes mate, it does have a solid ARB roof rack mounted to very heavy tube steel bars. But I think that winching it from that part (that would take some pulling, but yes possible I guess) would give a kinda angle for the bodywork, but not for the actual angle of the axles (which is where true angle would be set - i.e. the ground).

Second, I think (hope) this link will work,

which I've found for a modified 79 LC being tested (same platform set up as proposed for mine by the £2,2,10 company!). You'll see that the platform is very precisely raised (i.e. very slowly) and yes they use a digital spirit level! But the vehicle is anchored by chain so it cannot roll. That goes right up to 46 degrees with what looks like a heavy and high load. The truck in the film does have modified wheels/tracks, which may be heavier than standard wheels, but they also make the truck higher.

Third, not sure I want to try the whole 'tie to tree' thingy, but the idea of coming up for a barbecue, beers and a laugh sounds great! Where are you?

Cheers

Cliff

Yep, piece of cake, with a back line to stop it going over we'd soon find a balance point after a few beers.

Alternatively, Google the same truck in Saudi Arabia, then measure the angle on one of their insane photos of 2 wheel driving. Must be +/- a few degrees margin of safety...

Actually, these aren't bad ideas I'm coming up with here... :lol:

Oh and in case you're not familiar with my truck it's this modest little run-around!

S1180039 copy.JPG

She is a beauty.

Whyou do you need to know what angle she will go over at?

This is where you need to get out and build up what you can do.

Alot of people don't know the limits of there trucks and then faulter when they need to know what's going on.

There is plenty on places in the UK that you can take your cruiser offroad and get a feel for what's happening and I can assure you how capable it will be.

Neat truck Cliffy, love the colour. Doesn't look too lofty so it should be well planted.

I have to say, this test doesn't take any other forces into consideration, sloshing fuel, inertia, sudden change in direction etc. However, it's probably a good starting point I guess.

I've seen the clips where they tilt the busses over at an alarming angle so know what's done.

Stu…what did you have in mind? :)

Hi Stu

I agree with you, real life testing is what matters. I've had my truck at 30 degrees offroad and while it was fine (I guess!) I was sinking my fingers into the steering wheel! My truck's is worth a small fortune and I want to know it's limits. The reason I want to test this truck in a controlled way (i.e. where it cannot roll) is to at least know what is a real threat in real life, rather than find it out the hard way!

My background is in human medicine, and before that I was special forces trained for survival and infiltration etc - and I am considering doing special courses in 'battlefield problems' for overlanders, and I will being going into tough terrain (and don't want to roll my truck). That's basically my rationale for this!

Cliffy

Hi Clive

Good to hear from you, and thanks for your ideas.

First, yes mate, it does have a solid ARB roof rack mounted to very heavy tube steel bars. But I think that winching it from that part (that would take some pulling, but yes possible I guess) would give a kinda angle for the bodywork, but not for the actual angle of the axles (which is where true angle would be set - i.e. the ground).

Second, I think (hope) this link will work,

which I've found for a modified 79 LC being tested (same platform set up as proposed for mine by the £2,2,10 company!). You'll see that the platform is very precisely raised (i.e. very slowly) and yes they use a digital spirit level! But the vehicle is anchored by chain so it cannot roll. That goes right up to 46 degrees with what looks like a heavy and high load. The truck in the film does have modified wheels/tracks, which may be heavier than standard wheels, but they also make the truck higher.

Third, not sure I want to try the whole 'tie to tree' thingy, but the idea of coming up for a barbecue, beers and a laugh sounds great! Where are you?

Cheers

Cliff

I'm going to answer first and watch the video a bit later.

Maybe you might have noticed, I was joking, but you've made a good point about the terrain having to tilt to give a true axle angle. I didn't think that bit through very well did I. :think:

We're a bit of a jaunt away in Romania sadly, but several members have ventured out here to say hello, and several of them more than once I might add, which either makes them barking mad, or we managed to convince them that they enjoyed it :lol:

Truly you're welcome, jokes aside. There's a thread Romania 2017 or some such, it has those words in it, and you are more than welcome on the dates agreed in the thread or at another time to suit you better. Rooms are free to members but you have to find your way here under your own wallet.

As things are at the moment I think 4 trucks are coming this year, @Shayne and his better half Helen, @Chas, @StarCruiser (Richard and his wife Lynn) and @fbnss (I love spicy chicken wings Nick). There maybe more interested, but things often change nearer the day.

I think it's 2 weeks around late August till 2 September 2017, but I'm too lazy to look it up. Usually folks stay for about 7/8 days and it's about 3 days each way from the ferry from the UK across Europe.

Anyway, enough of that nonsense, maybe I need to rethink my tilt ideas. We've got some steep hills close by, we could tie it to a tree and.....

Mmmmm, oh man, I've just seen the photie of your truck, she is a thing of beauty.

Lovely. :clap:

Hi StarCruiser

Thanks for your thoughts. Absolutely, one can bet that if a truck is stable at 46 degrees then that won't be the same as a moving vehicle on uneven ground.

Yes, it's not too high - 6'.4" at roof, and 7'4" at roof rack, but it only has the 31" tyres, which I'll prob replace with 33" at some point. Here's the truck from another angle!

S1180037.JPG

Got to agree there Clive, that one heck of a lovely truck. And good reason to not want to roll it. And good that it will be used for what it was designed for.

Still love that colour.

Yep, it could certainly take bigger wheels, visually at least.

Errm, how does one get in the rear door with that ladder in the way? :think:

Hi again Clive

Thanks again for all this. I've never visited Romania, but from everything I've heard about it and seen on YT (offroad trips) it sounds amazing. I shall pencil it in as a possible trip. Always interested in trips!

Talk again soon
Cliffy

The ladder just hooks on and off the sides and rear of truck.

The colour is original too. Under dash etc is all the same. Obviously originally this was a pickup, but the mining industry commissioned Arkana (Aus coach-builder company) to convert a number into crew cabs back in the 1980s. So, they had to paint the new body sections to match, but I've seen others in this colour.

Back