Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

TLC HJ61 total reconditioning

Good to see your pics are back on Oding, I love looking at this thread, congrats on the truck it looks amazing well worth all the effort you've put in on it.

Looking good Oding, sorry 'bout the pics but Cris will do all he can...

The dash looks good, it's very hard to get an old dash looking OK, especially in photos, and yours does.

When mine looks clean in "the flesh" a photo of it looks dreadful :?

I put a lot of time and money on the dash as it is in front of you when driving. It is not perfect but presentable at the very least.

Good to see your pics are back on Oding, I love looking at this thread, congrats on the truck it looks amazing well worth all the effort you've put in on it.

I never realized that the finishing part is the most tedious one. Thanks.

I never realized that the finishing part is the most tedious one. Thanks.
I think the saying goes that you get the first 90% done in 10% of the time and the last 10% takes 90% of the time. :neutral:

Started the fabrication of the running board. Materials used are:

Flat bar - 3" x 6 mm thick
Square tube - 1.5" x 1.5" x 3 mm thick
Round tube - 1.24" x schedule 40

DSC03714.JPG

DSC03715.JPG

DSC03730.JPG

DSC03731.JPG

DSC03732.JPG

DSC03733.JPG

DSC03734.JPG

DSC03735.JPG

DSC03736.JPG

DSC03737.JPG

DSC03738.JPG

DSC03739.JPG

DSC03740.JPG

Attachments

• DSC03730.JPG
    DSC03730.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: Sag
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm on my way Oding, a couple of those would do me just fine :lol: :clap:

found this thread on Tuesday and just finished looking through it. Oding that is one of the nicest projects I've ever seen. Class!!!! Love the paint colours and the red stickers make the whole scheme pop. I would have routed the roof wires the same as yours (side) but at the rear of the truck and just use adhesive heat shrink without the flexible conduit along with the guard box. Camerawork see the end result of the build:clap:

Running board is almost done. Got an idea, instead of checkered plate to use for step board, I will use wood. Molave, a hard wood that is over 100 years old and used as railroad ties with its very fine grain and just below 3/4 of an inch thick and laminated with clear epoxy. what do you think?

DSC03758.JPG

DSC03759.JPG

DSC03760.JPG

DSC03761.JPG

DSC03762.JPG DSC03762.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
found this thread on Tuesday and just finished looking through it. Oding that is one of the nicest projects I've ever seen. Class!!!! Love the paint colours and the red stickers make the whole scheme pop. I would have routed the roof wires the same as yours (side) but at the rear of the truck and just use adhesive heat shrink without the flexible conduit along with the guard box. Camerawork see the end result of the build:clap:

Thank you for the inspiring comment. Actually, I redesigned the brackets that hold the cameras and the LED lights. I think it was done hastily. I'll show the modification by tomorrow. :text-thankyoublue:

Wood sounds quite unique Oding, it does appeal to me I must say.

My concerns would be (i) Slip Resistance; some means of getting a grip on it in the wet; and (ii) some protection from objects hitting the wood from underneath, tearing out screw fixings.

I suppose there are Matt varnishes or other applications that would be suitable. You could also add a sand to the coating to aid getting a grip.

With my alloy steps, I've had tree branches punch up from underneath almost lifting the truck. Several times I've had to hammer them back down flat again. Using stainless nuts and bolts may be better than screwing into the wood, especially as it sounds like a real hardwood.

nice idea!

Below are the rectangular tubes I made to replace the brackets that I have made earlier. It was not to my liking and I kept on imagining of something much better.

DSC03763.JPG

I have inserted a steel tube cut to the size of the tube. This will serve as a spacer so I can really tighten this without pressing the tube out of shape.

DSC03765.JPG

The bar will be bolted on to the roof carrier bracket. I do not need to bore a hole any where and will be strong enough to support a few LED's and 2 cameras.

DSC03776.JPG

Got the sun visor installed including the rear view mirror. Since the original rear view mirror is of a small size, I installed a panoramic over the original one.

DSC03778.JPG

DSC03779.JPG

Took a picture of the running board before it was taken down for a full weld on the joints.

DSC03780.JPG

DSC03770.JPG

DSC03774.JPG

DSC03772.JPG

Attachments

• DSC03766.JPG
    DSC03766.JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC03768.JPG
    DSC03768.JPG
    260.3 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC03769.JPG
    DSC03769.JPG
    330.2 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC03771.JPG
    DSC03771.JPG
    246.4 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC03773.JPG
    DSC03773.JPG
    306.6 KB · Views: 137
I was also able to have the hard wood sawed off for the step board at 3/4" thick. Next step would be to form it on the running board. I plan to have an engraved ltoyota logo on it.

DSC03766.JPG
DSC03768.JPG

A closer view of the wooden step-board. I had to service my 10" planes so I can size it down to fit the frame of the running board.

DSC03784.JPG

DSC03785.JPG

This will be interesting.... Watching with interest Oding...

Hello there Oding.
Really awesome thread. I have some series 79 pick-ups, a Series 80, a Series 105. The one Series 79 pick-up is starting it's transformation later this year, fitting a troop body on it, then the Series 80, then the Series 105. All three these will follow the same extensive rebuild that you have done. looking at your it's a lot of work but really worth the effort. Oh I am in Tanzania, so most of the work and parts will have to be made by yours truly, things is sort off hard to find out here, you might have the same problem I suspect.

Hello there Oding.
Really awesome thread. I have some series 79 pick-ups, a Series 80, a Series 105. The one Series 79 pick-up is starting it's transformation later this year, fitting a troop body on it, then the Series 80, then the Series 105. All three these will follow the same extensive rebuild that you have done. looking at your it's a lot of work but really worth the effort. Oh I am in Tanzania, so most of the work and parts will have to be made by yours truly, things is sort off hard to find out here, you might have the same problem I suspect.

That is a great lineup. Indeed it is a lot of work but keeps me going. I am about done with the 60 and I still have a 40 after prioritizing the 60. I get my parts direct from Japan. Those that are no longer in stock, I get from eBay, the US, Australia and some locally sold parts. Nice of you to drop by a line. I hope we can share the experiences with each other and to the forum members.

That is a great lineup. Indeed it is a lot of work but keeps me going. I am about done with the 60 and I still have a 40 after prioritizing the 60. I get my parts direct from Japan. Those that are no longer in stock, I get from eBay, the US, Australia and some locally sold parts. Nice of you to drop by a line. I hope we can share the experiences with each other and to the forum members.
Hey Oding, build is really coming out great!! I've followed you on mud, sent you some pix of my intercooler setup on my hj61 if you recall?? Anyway, congrats on this beauty. BTW, can you tell me where you sourced your pto parts out of Japan, I have one that I'm going through now as well... Thanks in advance,

JB

Back