Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

trailers

Seagull-russ

Country Flag
uk
hey all
does anyone know much info on self build trailers in the uk? iv had some quotes for new chassis trailers which wud enable me to just build my frame etc on to it but that's around £1600 1.3ton capacity and 8x4 frame. been looking at the turtleback in America or patriot campers style as my guides.
secondly I have a 120, my reg sheet is blank on towing, but I read 2.8ton is the limit. kerb weight comes in at 2250 on the reg sheet so I assume that's leaves me 1250ton before hitting the 3500limt on a standard license. (im after 1997)

thanks all

hey all
does anyone know much info on self build trailers in the uk? iv had some quotes for new chassis trailers which wud enable me to just build my frame etc on to it but that's around £1600 1.3ton capacity and 8x4 frame. been looking at the turtleback in America or patriot campers style as my guides.
secondly I have a 120, my reg sheet is blank on towing, but I read 2.8ton is the limit. kerb weight comes in at 2250 on the reg sheet so I assume that's leaves me 1250ton before hitting the 3500limt on a standard license. (im after 1997)

thanks all
I know the law changed a while back in an attempt to stop people design/building their own trailers. All trailers have to be stamped plated by the manufactures.. Ifor Williams/Indespension/Brian James etc... VOSA were getting sick of incidents/accidents involving home made trailers made out of pram wheels and tin sheets.. They were determined to put a stop to it...Probably your cheapest option would be to buy a used 14/16ft used flat bed by Ifor W / or Indespension that's got all its correct I.D plates. with date /gross weights etc then design/ build off that... you can down load plans and designs easy enough of the internet (some great ones from NZ) .. Just be careful when it comes to Insurance .

I know the law changed a while back in an attempt to stop people design/building their own trailers. All trailers have to be stamped plated by the manufactures.. Ifor Williams/Indespension/Brian James etc... VOSA were getting sick of incidents/accidents involving home made trailers made out of pram wheels and tin sheets.. They were determined to put a stop to it...Probably your cheapest option would be to buy a used 14/16ft used flat bed by Ifor W / or Indespension that's got all its correct I.D plates. with date /gross weights etc then design/ build off that... you can down load plans and designs easy enough of the internet (some great ones from NZ) .. Just be careful when it comes to Insurance .

I’ve looked at doing this. Biggest issue is the chassis simply isn’t built for off-road. It is also problematic to change the suspension and wheel size. I’m not sure there is a good answer in the U.K. I also would like to build an off-road trailer using patriot as a good source of inspiration but finding an appropriate chassis is proving impossible so far....

Yep, i see them down the local tip every sunday..
I’ve looked at doing this. Biggest issue is the chassis simply isn’t built for off-road. It is also problematic to change the suspension and wheel size. I’m not sure there is a good answer in the U.K. I also would like to build an off-road trailer using patriot as a good source of inspiration but finding an appropriate chassis is proving impossible so far....

a couple of useful looking ex army trailers show up on e bay now and then. Are these no use?

Didn't realise he wanted it for of road use.. Some of the Ifor Williams cattle/stock trailers had tough uprated Axles and oversize wheels or even an old Rice twin axle horse trailer.. they turn up on ebay now and then. I think they ran on LandRover wheels /Tyres..( the early ones)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I did look at the sankeys which is a potential base, regarding off road, well nothing drastic however the turtlebacks use a similar rubber style suspension but with shocks added however previous models used just the axle less rubber rated for 2ton so having leaf springs etc isn't a deal breaker.
does increasingly look like either buying a Sankey and getting it trailored to my location or 2nd option buying a new frame rated for slightly higher than my intended loads.
410expedition in Canada have built a trailer box from plywood and bonding agents which seems be holding up so might not need have a metal frame for the box.

I did look at the sankeys which is a potential base, regarding off road, well nothing drastic however the turtlebacks use a similar rubber style suspension but with shocks added however previous models used just the axle less rubber rated for 2ton so having leaf springs etc isn't a deal breaker.
does increasingly look like either buying a Sankey and getting it trailored to my location or 2nd option buying a new frame rated for slightly higher than my intended loads.
410expedition in Canada have built a trailer box from plywood and bonding agents which seems be holding up so might not need have a metal frame for the box.
4wd action chanel on YouTube has some useful bits on off road trailers. Most use independent suspension set ups. Great watch anyway. Plenty of cruisers and patrols doing some epic out back trips.

Guys, I came across this thread by accident but I have specced my own off road trailer and it's based on SA trailers as I see plenty when over there. I found only 3 companies that would build me a bespoke one and only 1 bothered to reply so they got the job.

Basically I provided Land Cruiser PCD wheels with tyres, asked for it to be galvanised, leaf springs, LED lights, swing up jockey wheel etc etc and off road capable (I hope) and drew the drawings myself on A4 paper and the photos are what I've ended up with. It's fully IVA approved, plated and road legal.

Our intention is to drive it to Cape Town starting mid 2019 when we retire.

1st time hitched up.jpg IMG_4369.JPG IMG_4390.JPG IMG_4391.JPG Trailer 44.jpg IMG_5452.JPG IMG_5454.JPG IMG_5461.JPG

That looks impressive KJM. First class job by the looks of it. :thumbup:

Excellent trailer KJM. No shortage of firewood on there. Where’s the tent from?

That looks impressive KJM. First class job by the looks of it. :thumbup:
Very much so, it was done by Leyland Leisure at Chorley and I cannot recommend Ben and his team highly enough. He kept in touch throughout and sent me pictures on a regular basis of the build. I could post them all here but there must be 40+

Excellent trailer KJM. No shortage of firewood on there. Where’s the tent from?

Hi Jacob, yes plenty of wood, that's what I designed it for but I need to watch the tongue weight - it's a touch sensitive on that but given I designed it I only have myself to blame :) I tend to think if something looks right, it generally is right hence my axle position could maybe have been better. Basically I centred it on the main body.

The tent is a Conqueror from South Africa but I bought 2nd hand. The trailer was built around a height of 1.55m to get the tent to open at the right height.

Very much so, it was done by Leyland Leisure at Chorley and I cannot recommend Ben and his team highly enough. He kept in touch throughout and sent me pictures on a regular basis of the build. I could post them all here but there must be 40+

I’m not an expert on this but I think if you go to Media Gallery you’ll be able to upload all the build photos. I for one would love to see them.

Have a look at West Counrty Trailers in Swindon they were at the OL show towing a nice looking one behind a Honda Civic my trailer is ex US M416 with up rated 1.8 t axle new longer drawbar with an Indespension towing eye Toyota 5 stud hubs 265 75 16 cooper tyres big alley mud guards and a alley fold down top which has got an air tight seal think you might have seen it at last years show the conversion work was done by Bridgewater Trailers if you look locally you should be able to take you thoughts and design to them good luck Russ with your hunt

Back