Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Transmission fluid change help needed.

mike smith

Country Flag
australia
Hell guys. I just got a 50th anniversary series 105 1FZ engine.
I want to change the trans fluid as i dont think its been done for a while on this car. Any advice would be great. I normally do all my own services and have just about every tool you would need, im retired, but son is a mechanic and helps me out, he is not sure how to flush and replace the filter this time, he is an auto electric mechanic.

A lot depends on the miles and condition of the fluid that comes out. It's not normally necessary to flush an auto. You pull the drain plug, wait til it stops dripping, then fill it back up with the same amount through the dipstick tube. The system holds something like 12l but you only every get about 5 litres out. Every time you replace 5 litres, it's a different / mixed 5 litres so over time the whole lot gets refreshed. If it's driving fine, not been in horrific conditions and the miles are those generally expected, I'd just drop the 5 and refill.

Any reason to suggest the filter in the pan needs cleaning out? Not a big job but very messy.

It has 189567 on the clock. I thought the gear shifting was a bit on the rough side. From my experience with mercedes, you always dropped the cover and replaced the filter, i was just assuming it was the same with these truck.
Just one other thing, where is the drain hole and what type of fluid is recommended. Thanks for the reply by the way, its nice have help.

I don't think you'll have any trouble finding the drain hole Mike. If you can't find that I'd suggest you back away from the tools! It's on the bottom of the sump. I'm not sure if the 105 has a metal bash guard on there like the 80 but it's worth taking off because the draining fluid tends to get in there and come out all over the place.

Thats why i asked, there is some sort of plate there and i couldnt find the hole. You see im so used to working on the Merc, this car has made me lazy having to work a bit harder. Dont worry ill find tomorrow.

Draining it is one thing, but refilling?

It all has to go in through the dipstick tube ... so it’s worth getting a funnel that fits nicely, or bottles with tubes in the caps.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What year is a 50th at your end of the world? Up here, that would be a 2001 iirc.
Which gearbox do you have? I'm guessing the A442F if it's an auto. On my 2000 HDJ100 with a 442 box, I found that changing to synthetic fluid made the shifts a bit smoother. I drained and filled several times so that I changed out about 3/4 of the old DexIII fluid with synt D-III. I got only about 3 litres each time though, and it takes a long time to fill 3 litres through that thin dipstick tube.
Statistically, I guess that there isn't much chance of problems with a box like that with under 300 k km. Dropping the pan is good anyways, just to confirm that there are no fragments, and only very little sludge.

I don't think you'll have any trouble finding the drain hole Mike. If you can't find that I'd suggest you back away from the tools! It's on the bottom of the sump. I'm not sure if the 105 has a metal bash guard on there like the 80 but it's worth taking off because the draining fluid tends to get in there and come out all over the place.

Chris, tell em how to re fill the auto box please ( the way you and I do)

Ok im not familiar with the numbers you quoted, its a 4 speed auto and it was made in late 2001. I figured draining would be a simple job, but filling i knew would be a PIA, but im basically a cheap bastard and like to try stuff myself so its getting a go. Dropping the pan is an option i have looked at, i used to do it with the Mercs, but they were easy to drop, but i love a challenge so i will give it a go.

on my A442F I dropped the pan, there is only a mesh screen not actually a filter, and magnets in the pan, worth checking for "bits" and cleaning (mine had none) then close it up, take the hose off the trans cooler behind the grill and run it into a bucket, fill the trans sump, then start the engine, cycle thru the gears with the transfer case shifter in neutral, shut down the engine when there is 3 litres in the bucket, top up again and repeat, think I used just under 20 litres to flush all the old out to change to synthetic

Back