Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Type Approved Receiver Hitch for 120?

I am pretty sure that my 120 had to options for a two bar. if you went for the trad design, making up (or having someone make you, obviously) a new centre bit would not be a lot of cash. Tricky design and fab does cost a lot more as Jon has indicated. Making one offs is insanely time consuming. And people simply don't want to pay as they can't see the value at times. But honestly, a bar with a box in it just for off road stuff - not much in that. Well there shouldn't be.

Remember though that you can get a towball attachment for a winch from Goodwinch. Its clamps onto the ball. All you need is power and you are away. You don't need a front winch all that often, so how much use would a rear winch get? Stick it in the boot when you go for a play day that might get a bit rough or if it's snowing again and the rest of the time leave it in the shed. No type approval needed!

Chris

I have a towsure one fitted to my 120. I got it off a breaker, so I am not sure about type approval, but it does have a detachable arm. It's the clamshell type which clamps either side of the cross member. I have looked at the towsure website but cannot find it anymore :thumbdown:

Anyway here is a pic of it with the towball part removed:
820858379_tp39n-L.jpg

The dimensions of the square part is 2" x S2, and I was thinking of modifying it to make a receiver hitch, but I never got that far as I ended buying Lil'Blue.

I had a chat with this firm here some time back whom make custom type approved tow bars for cars in the UK. If it was a van or commercial vehical you could do what ever you wanted as tow bars for these type of vehicles don't have to be type approved!!!

http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/unusual_requests.html

Last edited:
Back