Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Upgraded Head Light Loom

fridayman

Garage
I fitted one of the kits from the US that a few other members have also fitted. They started acting up a bit - they have been looking a bit dull for a while, and sometimes the main beam would work but I had no dipped beam. The first time it happened they fixed themselves, but then it happened again a few days ago and this time the dipped beam wouldn't come back on. On the advice of an auto electrician who said that Prado headlights never fail... I started looking at the aftermarket loom first. I was quite surprised at how bad the relays looked. They have not weathered well and had a lot of corrosion and rust inside and outside. I recall not being happy with the quality of the crimps on the spade terminals in the connector block, when I fitted the loom. Now with a bit of corrosion, when I turned the lights on and pulled gently on some of the wires, they smoked :icon-confused::icon-surprised: So I cut both plugs off and crimped on some new insulated spade terminals, and replaced both relays with some better quality units. Normal dipped service has been resumed and the lights are significantly brighter again. So if you have fitted one of these upgraded looms, it is worth casting a quick eye over them to see if they are still OK.

Hmm, mine are fine. And they get some abuse with mud and such like. I shall keep an eye on them.

Well spotted

Chris

Back