Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

VGRS Fault

3dbiker

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help please?
I bought a 2003 4.7 V8 Petrol Amazon 6 months ago, it's great apart from the price of Fuel. Unfortunately it has developed what appears to be a very expensive, intermittent fault.
The red VGRS fault light comes on and the steering wheel is offset. If you turn off the ignition a wait a short while before re starting the fault sometimes goes? The dealer ran a diagnostic which identified the ECU, after fitting a new one they could not calibrate the steering wheel. They then said it was also the spiral steering harness and fitted a new one (so far £1000) they now tell me the fault light is still on and it is also the steering actuator (£2600 more for the part plus fitting).
There was definitely a 'hard' fault as the steering wheel mis aligned, but 3 faults on the same system at the same time???? Of course if they fitted a new actuator, the fault may still be there?
If you have any ideas I'd be very grateful - thx.

John

I agree that 3 faulty components in seperate parts of the same system is extremely unlikely, I would make sure they know you'll be having the old parts off them for inspection by a 3rd party because you want to know what was actually wrong with them ;) They say the light is still on but are they still unable to calibrate the steering? If so then the ECU and spiral were obviously not the problem and they shouldn't charge you, they are after all supposed to be the experts on these vehicles and shouldn't have to use trail and error to diagnose the fault :roll: VGRS hasn't come up on here before so it might be worth you having a search on http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/

Thx for the reply Jon,
I am going to see the dealer tomorrow. I have also found a VGRS recall on my vehicle and Hope Toyota UK will take the problem onboard. I don't think the dealer is trying to rip me off, just out of their depth.
John

I had this with the recirculate/outside air option button on the 80 air con. I risked it and bought a new ecu [£375] as the old one had a small burnt spot. After 2 weeks same again and they exchanged under guarantee. Then 10 days happened again so I booked into garage. They said it was the push button main control panel so fitted new one [£400]. Then it happened again so another ecu. Then they said it was a fault in the servo motor which they changed and it's been OK for 10 years now. But I suspect it was the motor all along. They were saying 2 faults on one system; motor and push button panel causing burnt ecu's. VERY unlikely. Anyway cost me £1000 to cure one button control. I am convinced that they did not know what they were doing and they said it was not possible to test the motor. I've stripped it out of interest and it looks fine. The diode tests OK but can these fail and then be OK for a bit?

Intermittent electrical problems are 100% nightmare and you have my sympathy.

Frank

Hi Frank
Thanks for your post, seems I'm not alone. It is being referred back to Toyota GB and I asked for one of their Techies to get involved - I await the answer?

Keep you posted, as it develops

John

Do you have to be called John to own a 100 on this forum or what!!!

:lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hello John,

Am interested to know how you got on with the dealer?

Have just suffered the same problem with the VGRS on my '55 V8; all has been fine untill the vehicle was stopped and ignition turned off with the wheels hard over to the left - when the car was restarted the VGRS warning light remained lit but the steering wheel was approx. 90 degrees out of synch with the road wheels. No amount of 'resetting' attempts have worked. Dealer now has vehicle in for examination and reckons that there is a problem either in the ECU or the steering actuator or perhaps a communication fault between the two. Was advised that if the fault was a commuciation error due to a partially damaged wire then in the event the wire shorted to earth the vehicle steering would be lost, i.e.no connection between steering wheel and road wheels.

Adrian

Does that mean i have to change my name to John?

And i've got a new motor :thumbup:

Back