Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

VHF Antenna Mount Choices

Justin_Elliott

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Our local 4x4 response are starting to use VHF (PMR) radio's... but the antenna looks pathetic and has limited mounting options.

So after a google search for a flexible VHF antenna, and eventually finding my way back here; and reading Jon's recommendation on this post... i'm planning on getting a Diamond M-285S antenna...

But I can't decide on the best, permanent antenna base for this type of aerial.

So in short I'm looking for a permanent hole mount antenna base which has a cover (for use when the antenna is not fitted).

Anyone got any recommendations...?

you mean like this ? You can buy the caps on their own. I've found the Sirio DV bases are fine for HF but not so good at VHF and above, unless it's just the ones I have. I switched to one of those ebay ones for my VHF antenna and it was much better.

Chas - Thanks for that, one of those is on the list too (for the CB) - I didn't think they support VHF? :think:

Jon - I was leaning towards the Sirio DV base - or at least that type, (i.e. with a weather proof cap...). So - I think I'll give you're suggestion a go, and look out for a suitable cap.

Out of interest where did you get your M285S from?

Justin_Elliott said:
Chas - Thanks for that, one of those is on the list too (for the CB) - I didn't think they support VHF? :think:

Jon - I was leaning towards the Sirio DV base - or at least that type, (i.e. with a weather proof cap...). So - I think I'll give you're suggestion a go, and look out for a suitable cap.

Out of interest where did you get your M285S from?
My bad, sorry Justin, I was confusing VHF with CB :oops:

No worries - its not exactly clear (well to me anyhow).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
First one came from Radioworld then after I broke it I got another from ML&S along with a Diamond NR-7700 that Gary S recommended which has survived so far so that might be a better bet for you than the 285.

I'll probably give the 285 a try first - as its at disposable prices... If I'd break that then I'm sure I'd find a way to break the 7700.... :mrgreen:

Thanks for the help...

The 285 is a good aerial and I've kept up some quite long distance mobile contacts using it but the plastic base will crack if you hit it hard enough with a branch :mrgreen:

Ok - I'll try not to act too surprised when I do break it then!

I'm struggling to find a decent 'cover' for when the aerial isn't fitted ... that is something that doesn't look like a metal bottle top. - Any ideas?

And yes I'm needing to be spoon fed info today - been a LONG day if you know what I mean.

I've got them off ebay in the past but I can't see any at the moment.

Ah - at least I was looking in the right place...

Am I right in thinking the PL/SO 239 is a connection more common in the US?

I don't know to be honest, not paid much attention to the US market. It might be worth ringing one of the dealers like ML&S and asking because it might be something they sell but don't bother to advertise as it's so small.

Justin

Nevada are only just over the river from you, I've bought some vhf and also cb kit off them and they are very helpful.

Pete

:thumbup: Just had a look at their website... will have a look in when I'm next over...

Thanks.

Back